Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #271
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Mine wasn't on there either. Maybe they pack them with the bike un-installed. I had one or found one, put it on. You don't want your battery flying out if the bike flips. I guess.
good point!!!

I think mine had 2. One on the battery and one under the passenger seat just laying there. If I remember right I put it in that awesome tool kit that came with the bike that must be taking up space in somewhere in the garage. Looks like I got yours JG!
If I ever get the urge to try a back flip I'll be sure and double band it!
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #272
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFXC View Post
good point!!!

I think mine had 2. One on the battery and one under the passenger seat just laying there. If I remember right I put it in that awesome tool kit that came with the bike that must be taking up space in somewhere in the garage. Looks like I got yours JG!
If I ever get the urge to try a back flip I'll be sure and double band it!
They have to be replaced yearly anyway. I did a thorough cleaning of my bike yesterday and the battery strap is already dry rotted. One year old, almost to the day.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #273
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,174
Lost near all ability to shift coming into work this morning. Shifter is just limp. I can go up without too much difficulty but down shifting is hit or miss and mostly miss. I just rode most of the they way in 4th gear which made starting a stresser for my clutch especially since I am -2 in the rear. I suspect it is the selector return spring even though I did that TSB about 8 months ago. Still under warranty but I've got a trip planned in 2.5 weeks...........

I vaguely recall someone having a shifting problem that was not the return spring and it was something more severe.....am I remember correctly? If so what were the symptoms? Was shifting possible at all?

swimmer screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 08:31 AM
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #274
swimmer
armchair asshole

This sounds like my problem.
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,6138.0.html

Dropping it off at the dealer this afternoon...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #275
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Lost near all ability to shift coming into work this morning. Shifter is just limp. I can go up without too much difficulty but down shifting is hit or miss and mostly miss. I just rode most of the they way in 4th gear which made starting a stresser for my clutch especially since I am -2 in the rear. I suspect it is the selector return spring even though I did that TSB about 8 months ago. Still under warranty but I've got a trip planned in 2.5 weeks...........

I vaguely recall someone having a shifting problem that was not the return spring and it was something more severe.....am I remember correctly? If so what were the symptoms? Was shifting possible at all?
that was me and it took 7 weeks to get fixed. Shift forks, drum and bushings all shot, 1200 or so total miles on bike. They said the heat treating must have been bad and that wiped out the shift mechanisms. They actually had to produce the replacement parts for me. I could up shift just fine, could not downshift at all. Good luck!

Triumph NA was stellar in their support though, I asked for them to extend my warranty since it had been in so long and they did, plus added on alot more for my troubles.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #276
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
that was me and it took 7 weeks to get fixed. Shift forks, drum and bushings all shot, 1200 or so total miles on bike. They said the heat treating must have been bad and that wiped out the shift mechanisms. They actually had to produce the replacement parts for me. I could up shift just fine, could not downshift at all. Good luck!

Triumph NA was stellar in their support though, I asked for them to extend my warranty since it had been in so long and they did, plus added on alot more for my troubles.
My bikes has about 15k miles on it. If whatever the problem is takes 7 weeks to get fixed things are going to get ugly.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #277
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:
This sounds like my problem.
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,6138.0.html

Dropping it off at the dealer this afternoon...
Quote:

When this happened to me (about a month ago) with 13k miles on the clock the Triumph wrench thought it was the return spring (recall item). Turned out to be the pin in this photo (he showed me the pieces after disassembly). Took about 10 days for me to get back on the road. Yet another cinque in the Triumph armor.....

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #278
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
When this happened to me (about a month ago) with 13k miles on the clock the Triumph wrench thought it was the return spring (recall item). Turned out to be the pin in this photo (he showed me the pieces after disassembly). Took about 10 days for me to get back on the road. Yet another cinque in the Triumph armor.....
Thanks for info. When your pin broke could you shift at all? As I rode it to the dealership I found I could shift down by lifting the lever with my foot to the position where it would normally rest if it wasn't fucked up. The weight of the mechanism was enough to bring the lever down from up shifts so shifting up was no problem, just sloppy. The shop said he would probably be able to open it up tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #279
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
The weight of the mechanism was enough to bring the lever down from up shifts so shifting up was no problem, just sloppy. The shop said he would probably be able to open it up tomorrow.
Sounds more like the spring than anything else.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #280
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,075
Quote:
Thanks for info. When your pin broke could you shift at all? As I rode it to the dealership I found I could shift down by lifting the lever with my foot to the position where it would normally rest if it wasn't fucked up. The weight of the mechanism was enough to bring the lever down from up shifts so shifting up was no problem, just sloppy. The shop said he would probably be able to open it up tomorrow.
Exactly the same symptom(s). I actually pulled over in a car dealer's lot and adjusted my shift lever up (quite a bit) to make it to the Triumph dealer 10 miles down the road.

When I examined the broken parts the pin in question appeared to be pressed in. The whole "gear selection shaft" came as a unit-no separate pin. It really did look like a weak design link in the shift unit.

Check out the gear selection shaft from a 2005/06 Tiger 955i. Definitely a different design. BTW: I never had any such problem on my 05 with 50k miles.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #281
swimmer
armchair asshole

The shop called. It was the pin that broke. The warranty work has been approved by triumph. The bad news is that the part is back ordered until 5/8. The good news is that knowing I have a trip planned my shop is going to pull the part off of a 2013 model since it’s a quick job and they’ll just put the new(er) part on that bike when it arrives. I’ve bought 3 bikes from them, don’t know if that matters but, MASSIVE props to Performance Cycle Center in Tucson from coming through for me. I asked the mechanic to look and see if he notices any differences in the pin construction from the new bike. Mine is an early build 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if another TSB or recall is created from this part failure since the work is pretty quick and part not too crazy expensive.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #282
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
The shop called. It was the pin that broke. The warranty work has been approved by triumph. The bad news is that the part is back ordered until 5/8. The good news is that knowing I have a trip planned my shop is going to pull the part off of a 2013 model since it’s a quick job and they’ll just put the new(er) part on that bike when it arrives. I’ve bought 3 bikes from them, don’t know if that matters but, MASSIVE props to Performance Cycle Center in Tucson from coming through for me. I asked the mechanic to look and see if he notices any differences in the pin construction from the new bike. Mine is an early build 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if another TSB or recall is created from this part failure since the work is pretty quick and part not too crazy expensive.
What makes it fail in the first place?
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #283
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
What makes it fail in the first place?
bad design????
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #284
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
bad design????
Well, it doesn't break on it's own. Is it just from shifting? Hard shifting, or what? Does hitting the shifter break it?

Is it something unrelated? What puts stress on it to break it?
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #285
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
bad design????
It is British after all...

OH SIT!!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote