I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #287
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Well, it doesn't break on it's own. Is it just from shifting? Hard shifting, or what? Does hitting the shifter break it?

Is it something unrelated? What puts stress on it to break it?
There were no events that lead to its failure. I don't think I am an abusive rider. Hope I am back on the road today. I miss my tiger . Hope I never have to live somewhere in which I can't ride year round. These two days are killing me.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #288
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
There were no events that lead to its failure. I don't think I am an abusive rider. Hope I am back on the road today.
Same here on the non-abusive riding/shifting style.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but having the broken pin in my hand led me to believe this is an "under designed" part. Not enough diameter.

On the back-order note, the dealer gave me the same story but the part arrived (from Georgia) a week earlier than stated.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #289
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I have an issue with vibration in the 4k-6k range that seems to be getting worse. Just had the 500 mile service done on my 2013 800XC and I am feeling high frequency vibs in the pegs, bars and seat. This was not there when I bought the bike 2 weeks ago, progressively getting worse. Checking over engine mount bolts and double checking torque settings, I came across the lower right engine bolt. There is a space between the inside of the frame and the engine a good 1/8 inch. Is there supposed to be a spacer here? Can someone verify that for me?

I am trying to get a copy of the service manual so I can check but until then I have to hunt around for information. This just struck me as odd that there is no spacer here to make direct contact with the frame and engine.

If this is not the cause of the vibration, I have no idea what it could be other than throttle body being out of adjustment. I checked the drive chain and that seems ok, not too tight. Does seem a little loose but I think that is ok with the XC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #290
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Same here on the non-abusive riding/shifting style.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but having the broken pin in my hand led me to believe this is an "under designed" part. Not enough diameter.

On the back-order note, the dealer gave me the same story but the part arrived (from Georgia) a week earlier than stated.

Good luck.
On the back order topic. I had one of my turn signals break. I know it's the subject of a recall so I tell this to the dealer. They have no idea and have to spend 1/2 hour researching it before they believe me/ confirm it. That was last week and they still haven't gotten back to me with information about replacing it. Apparently, TA is slow on the replacements. Or it just could be the dealership again.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #291
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Apparently, TA is slow on the replacements. Or it just could be the dealership again.
May I ask which dealer?
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #292
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
I have an issue with vibration in the 4k-6k range that seems to be getting worse. Just had the 500 mile service done on my 2013 800XC and I am feeling high frequency vibs in the pegs, bars and seat. This was not there when I bought the bike 2 weeks ago, progressively getting worse. Checking over engine mount bolts and double checking torque settings, I came across the lower right engine bolt. There is a space between the inside of the frame and the engine a good 1/8 inch. Is there supposed to be a spacer here? Can someone verify that for me?

I am trying to get a copy of the service manual so I can check but until then I have to hunt around for information. This just struck me as odd that there is no spacer here to make direct contact with the frame and engine.

If this is not the cause of the vibration, I have no idea what it could be other than throttle body being out of adjustment. I checked the drive chain and that seems ok, not too tight. Does seem a little loose but I think that is ok with the XC.

Thanks

That's the bolt right by the foot peg? I just took a look at mine and I have the same gap there, and I haven't had any issue with vibes. I don't know what might be causing it in yours, but I don't think that gap is playing a role.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #293
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
May I ask which dealer?
SM H-D, Triumph, Kawasaki, Honda, ei, ei, o
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #294
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:

Thanks

I just took a look at mine.....and your fastener appears to be loose/in need of re-torquing. I should point out that I can see some raw/machined metal between my engine and the frame mount....but definitely cannot see threads (which it looks like I can see on yours).

Also, I should mention that many of us have experienced some "buzz", that was not noticeable when purchased. I think some of this has to do with the fact that you can't take the engine up to an RPM level that produces the "buzz" during the break-in period. Then, after the break-in period...you take the bike up through the gears and cruise at a higher rpm/speed....and then notice the buzz.

Having said this, my bike now has close to 12k miles.....and in the last 1k miles, it has become much smoother/less buzz. I have carpal tunnel syndrome...and am very sensitive to vibes....so I'm sure that there is a real reduction in buzz as the motor fully breaks in.

Please report back, after you have the dealer take a look, an let us know your findings...and if is reduces/resolves "the buzz"
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #295
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
ei, ei, o
Thanks for the info. Always good to know ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #296
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post

Picked up my tiger today. I also inspected the broken part. Having designed many of my own parts for various applications in CAD I would say you are 100% correct even without me knowing the expected loads on the pin. A small increase in diameter would yield substantial gains in strength. It would seem to me that an engineer's intuition alone would look at that design and suspect it insufficient. Still problems with this pin aren't rampant (I know of 3 people including me who have documented the failure online) so it's not a major issue and it didn't leave me stranded but hopefully the design will be improved upon at some point on 2014 models or beyond. Dropped the bike off Wednesday afternoon and had it back Saturday which is a satisfactory resolution even for a junky like me.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #297
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Well, I went by the dealer today and they replaced the turn signal stalks per the TSB. In and out within an hour, and most of that I was having lunch next door, so no sweat. Left thinking I wouldn't need to be back in while.

Not so fast! On my way home tonight I stop to fill up the bike. I go to put the nozzle in the tank, and as I'm struggling with the stupid corrugated nozzle condom, I hear a pop and the nozzle drops about an inch...

Managed to fish out a small red plastic cap(?) that was sitting on the edge of the lip, but not really sure what to do with the rest of the assembly that's now down in the tank. There's some wire in there (blue wire on the left as visible in the pic), which I'm guessing is part of the fuel gauge? Whatever it is, I have my doubts it's now working properly...
I would take the tank off the bike, drain the gas in a gas container and then flip the tank upside down to get the parts out through the gas cap. Then bring that to the dealer and chew his or her ass out and demand a new assembly!!

that's just me though...
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #298
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:

Thanks

saw the EXACT same issue with the increased vibrations in another thread... all after the 500 mile service. Almost ever time it was due to the chain being too tight. Try loosening it a bit and see how that feels...
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #299
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
I would take the tank off the bike, drain the gas in a gas container and then flip the tank upside down to get the parts out through the gas cap. Then bring that to the dealer and chew his or her ass out and demand a new assembly!!

that's just me though...
I come to find out the white plastic (with the wires attached) at the bottom of the tank is the fuel pump. Dealer has the new 'collar' or whatever it's called on order and it will be taken care of under warranty. They said the piece in the tank shouldn't cause any problems, but they would get it out 'just to be safe'... The bike is much easier to fill without that piece there, though. Using a McCuff, it fills right to the rim of the hole every time, perfectly, with much less strugling with the nozzle.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #300
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
The dealer will blow off removing the collar from the tank. They will install a new one, then you will have 2 collars floating in the tank soon.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote