Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #391
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,410
I am guessing my dealer forgot to reset it at 6000ish when I brought it in. They also told me my airfilter looked good. Since they didn't take the tank off, I wonder how they knew that...

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #392
T

Oddometer: 5,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
They also told me my airfilter looked good. Since they didn't take the tank off, I wonder how they knew that...

JG

Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #393
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
I am guessing my dealer forgot to reset it at 6000ish when I brought it in. They also told me my airfilter looked good. Since they didn't take the tank off, I wonder how they knew that...
May I ask which dealer that was (Send PM if you don't want to make it public)? My guess would be Calmoto. These guys had fucked up my Tiger so badly, it took me months to find all the mistakes they made.

Never ever again will I buy a single thing from them or bring a bike there. It's just too dangerous (like they left my brakes leaking after re-installing them, didn't torque fork legs, installed ABS sensor the wrong way ...). That was in Mountain View though.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #394
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,182
Quote:

JG
I believe I'd have a chat with Management or ownership about that. I'm sure someone there doesn't want the staff lying to customers.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #395
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
2013 Tiger 800 XC <4000miles won't hold idle

Looks like I may be another stepper victim. After an awesome on/off road ride today I stopped to fill up and the bike wouldn't restart. Finally with some throttle applied I got it going, but it would die every time I came to a stop. I managed to make it back down to the local dealer (North County Yamaha) by holding the throttle open at stops. The "service" advisor was less than helpful, and even suggested I ride home and bring the bike back next week when the Triumph tech had more time to look at it. I pointed out that it was very dangerous to ride in traffic with the bike in that condition. He also indicated that he had never heard of and stepper problem even though it has been posted on every Triumph forum I have read. Looks like I'm dead in the water for a while! I'll post the results of the diagnosis, and subsequent repairs....
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #396
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
Looks like I may be another stepper victim. After an awesome on/off road ride today I stopped to fill up and the bike wouldn't restart. Finally with some throttle applied I got it going, but it would die every time I came to a stop. I managed to make it back down to the local dealer (North County Yamaha) by holding the throttle open at stops. The "service" advisor was less than helpful, and even suggested I ride home and bring the bike back next week when the Triumph tech had more time to look at it. I pointed out that it was very dangerous to ride in traffic with the bike in that condition. He also indicated that he had never heard of and stepper problem even though it has been posted on every Triumph forum I have read. Looks like I'm dead in the water for a while! I'll post the results of the diagnosis, and subsequent repairs....
Not trying to sound like a jerk but, since you have read about the problem you should know that if you do have the normal stepper motor problem you can easily fix it yourself in the solutions posted in those same forums. Maybe your problem is slightly different maybe it's not but it certainly seems like attempting the traditional fixes would be the normal first step rather than putting yourself at the mercy of someone else' schedule (and perhaps your $$$).
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #397
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Not trying to sound like a jerk but, since you have read about the problem you should know that if you do have the normal stepper motor problem you can easily fix it yourself in the solutions posted in those same forums. Maybe your problem is slightly different maybe it's not but it certainly seems like attempting the traditional fixes would be the normal first step rather than putting yourself at the mercy of someone else' schedule (and perhaps your $$$).
New $14K bike, less than 4000miles, full warrantee, reasonable expatiation of reliability/service... I do some DIY work, but this is a problem that should be addressed by the dealer. Not to mention, it's better to have a record of the problem in case of further issues. Also better to let Triumph know that this is a problem so perhaps they will design this part better the second time around.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #398
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
New $14K bike, less than 4000miles, full warrantee, reasonable expatiation of reliability/service... I do some DIY work, but this is a problem that should be addressed by the dealer. Not to mention, it's better to have a record of the problem in case of further issues. Also better to let Triumph know that this is a problem so perhaps they will design this part better the second time around.
That's fine. Just saying given the choice between the value of working with the dealer and being "dead in the water" and not being able to ride, I'd rather be riding.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #399
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I'm with SW
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #400
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I'm with Swimmer... Let the "dealer" know there is a problem, but fix it (cause they likely won't) and continue riding!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #401
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I'm with Swimmer... Let the "dealer" know there is a problem, but fix it (cause they likely won't) and continue riding!!
Problem stopped as soon as they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine... Nothing better than an intermittent fail to confuse the dealer! You and SW may be right about the just DIY bit.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #402
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Problem stopped as soon as they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine... Nothing better than an intermittent fail to confuse the dealer! You and SW may be right about the just DIY bit.
There are some instances where even though it might be possible for you to fix it yourself bringing it to the dealer for a repair covered by warranty makes sense and I have to do that but, you probably know more about the stepper issue than your dealer so by the time they screw around figuring what it is and communicating with HQ you could have it fixed on your own (assuming it's the most common stepper issue) and be riding around. If triumph isn't aware of the issue by now and have not addressed I gather they never will. Hopefully your issues are behind you.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #403
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:

Next time head to Rocket Motorcycles, if possible. Much more helpful than NC Yamaha, and they actually know the product. NC Yamaha has a clueless and rude service dept, IMO.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #404
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,029
Wife's 2013 Tiger XC just went in for first service. Leaky fuel injector/hose and a bad stepper motor. Good to see Triumph even copied BMW's ability to have periodic failures.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #405
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
Wife's 2013 Tiger XC just went in for first service. Leaky fuel injector/hose and a bad stepper motor. Good to see Triumph even copied BMW's ability to have periodic failures.
However, they have yet to step down to the bar in terms of frequency of failures........................