User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #91
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Coolant Drip

Coolant leak, left side, near bottom of engine, right above the charcoal cannister. It will drip a couple of drops when sitting parked. I tightened bolt that holds the fitting that goes into the side of the motor but that didn't fix it.

I suspect it's the coolant hose where it attaches there, is weeping out of the end of the hose. I have heard hoses can seep fluid thru the internal wall and ooze out the end. I've tightened the clamp so that seems plausible.

Can't be bothered to take it in to the dealer, too much hassle. I may try to source a replacement hose.

About 4K miles.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #92
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
I had the wheel hop on my first set of tires. (Battlewings) When I changed tires 5,000 miles later the wheel hop went away.

I noticed a small oil leak on the lower right side. I tightned the case bolts and it seems to have stopped.

I had stalling/would not idle, issues due to a dirty stepper motor after about 7,000 miles. I blew it off with compressed air and havent had any issues lately.
I ordered some knobbies for it on Saturday and am thinking about changing the front sprocket as you mentioned to me earlier... Still have a growing list of changes and farkles and trying to prioritize and save the $$ for them!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #93
mjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Mine is a 2013 800xc. Keeps blowing the engine management system fuse (#4 back fuse box). Causing the bike to immediately turn off. The bike is still at the dealer & now I'm dealing w/ Triumph directly.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #94
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Mine is a 2013 800xc. Keeps blowing the engine management system fuse (#4 back fuse box). Causing the bike to immediately turn off. The bike is still at the dealer & now I'm dealing w/ Triumph directly.
good luck on that. thats a new one to me! lemon?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #95
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Wow. Sounds like a bad harness.
Triumph replied to my dealer the following day about the neutral,position sensor. Once they confirm the problem it's a go to replace it and they have one in stock at the dealer. It's time for my 6000 mile service too so the timing couldn't be better.

burmbuster screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 06:37 PM
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Oh well... I would really appreciate a follow up. If it fixes the "tappet like ticking sound" it'll be great.

And shouldn't this be covered under warranty?
So I got the needed gasket and bolts and pulled the timing chain cover yesterday. The timing chain seemed to be appropriately tight, the chain guides were correctly positioned and without play and the bottom sprocket seemed to be on correctly. There was nothing out of place or any evidence of a problem. I put everything back together and of course it still ticks.

I crawled around for a while using a piece of broomstick as a stethoscope and couldn't really pin anything down. It's loudest from directly in front, almost like it's coming from the header. Exhaust leak maybe?
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #97
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
So I got the needed gasket and bolts and pulled the timing chain cover yesterday. The timing chain seemed to be appropriately tight, the chain guides were correctly positioned and without play and the bottom sprocket seemed to be on correctly. There was nothing out of place or any evidence of a problem. I put everything back together and of course it still ticks.

I crawled around for a while using a piece of broomstick as a stethoscope and couldn't really pin anything down. It's loudest from directly in front, almost like it's coming from the header. Exhaust leak maybe?
Bummer. On my bike it seems to be coming from the top, and front as well. It doesn't do it all the time. But when it does, man it is annoying.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #98
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Not sure why no one has heeded my earlier post, but you should check the delrin timing chain positioner. If it's out of whack, it'll make your top end sound like it's toast. I think it can be easiest to see by removing the lower plate on the engine casing that covers the crank on the right side. At least that's where my mechanic accessed it.

I think there's a little roll pin that holds it in place that can get dislodged causing the guide to rub and click on the timing chain. It sounds a lot like terrible valve noise, and I think the sound emits from the top because the valve covers are thinner than the thick aluminum plates covering the actual area where the sound comes from.

Got a new pin in there and have had no issue in the 5K miles since.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #99
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Not sure why no one has heeded my earlier post, but you should check the delrin timing chain positioner. If it's out of whack, it'll make your top end sound like it's toast. I think it can be easiest to see by removing the lower plate on the engine casing that covers the crank on the right side. At least that's where my mechanic accessed it.

I think there's a little roll pin that holds it in place that can get dislodged causing the guide to rub and click on the timing chain. It sounds a lot like terrible valve noise, and I think the sound emits from the top because the valve covers are thinner than the thick aluminum plates covering the actual area where the sound comes from.

Got a new pin in there and have had no issue in the 5K miles since.
That's exactly the cover that I pulled off. The pivot pin at the bottom was firmly in place and the guide was well centered on the chain run. As best as I cold tell from the service manual everything was in the correct place and properly attached.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #100
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Dude,

Super sorry to have misread your post. I was clearly smoking dust. Somehow I read it and thought you'd pulled the valve cover. Wow. Gotta get my reading comprehension skills back in line if I'm gonna keep posting.

Sorry to hear you've still got the noise.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #101
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Coolant leak, left side, near bottom of engine, right above the charcoal cannister. It will drip a couple of drops when sitting parked. I tightened bolt that holds the fitting that goes into the side of the motor but that didn't fix it.

I suspect it's the coolant hose where it attaches there, is weeping out of the end of the hose. I have heard hoses can seep fluid thru the internal wall and ooze out the end. I've tightened the clamp so that seems plausible.

Can't be bothered to take it in to the dealer, too much hassle. I may try to source a replacement hose.

About 4K miles.
Hmm, mine sometimes smells of coolant after a ride. It seems to be low in the overflow bottle, but I can't see any leaks or drips anywhere. However, there is some minor discoloration at the connection point you mention.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #102
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Hmm, mine sometimes smells of coolant after a ride. It seems to be low in the overflow bottle, but I can't see any leaks or drips anywhere. However, there is some minor discoloration at the connection point you mention.
yeah, blue type coolant dries chalky white. Look for tell-tale residue.

I forget where I heard about hoses seeping out the end, it wicks thru the internal wall of the hose. I think there were some KTM's that had that issue. Probably somebody in Europe that makes molded hoses (bent) and the Tiger got them.

Mine drips so little I haven't dealt with it yet. More of an annoyance. Need to locate the part number and a source. Anybody got a link to an exploded parts diagram?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #103
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
. Need to locate the part number and a source. Anybody got a link to an exploded parts diagram?
Bike Bandit sells oem triumph parts and they have the diagrams.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #104
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Bike Bandit sells oem triumph parts and they have the diagrams.
Cool. They even discount them. That hose is $21.

EDIT: BTW, the rest of the assorted parts look expensive. Like the stupid snorkel and connecter we tossed for the prefilter - over a hundred bucks worth!!

browneye screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 02:17 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #105
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Update...

Picked up my Roadie at the dealer's shop yesterday. New cylinder head, camshafts, etc, all covered by warranty. The only charge was twenty-nine bucks and some change for a set of new spark plugs (at my request). Now if it would quit snowing for a day or two I'd be able to get it out of my van...
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote