KLR650 23 40.35%
KLX250s 8 14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
AGrant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Looking for a new bike...can't decide

I sold my KLX250s (regretting it now as the weather is gonna get better soon) and so now I am doing research on getting a new bike. I just cannot decide what.

I sold my KLX250s because it was just a little too small for me. I'm 6ft 210 but it was just a little under powered. Or so I thought. I actually really liked the bike and should not have sold it. But...

So, what I'm considering so far in no particular order is a Suzuki DRZ400, a KLR650, or another KLX250s.

All you guys out there that have those bikes, give me your pros and cons.

I am going to ride it probably 60% street and 40% gravel roads/light trails. I make no bones about the fact that I have no business getting a bike on some serious single track. I like to leave the house, grind out some asphalt to get to the gravel roads, and just have fun linking gravel together with sections of asphalt.

One of the reasons I sold the KLX was it was too small for me and my 11 year old son to ride 2 up comfortably. He was always complaining about being uncomfortable. So, a bigger bike, like the KLR, might make that more enjoyable for him...plus, he is in LOVE with the KLR. Thinks its cool looking.

So, what say you...opinions please. Fire away with questions about ride style etc and I'll answer as best as I can.

Thanks

AGrant screwed with this post 02-02-2015 at 07:15 PM
AGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
AGrant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also...I will probably buy used so I have a low budget. Lets say under 4 grand. Mid to lower 3's would be even better!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
DualsportWA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thought about a Husqvarna te-610? 55hp, 309lb, great suspension, 6speeds. I love mine.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
AGrant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualsportWA View Post
Thought about a Husqvarna te-610? 55hp, 309lb, great suspension, 6speeds. I love mine.
Yeah, I've looked at the TE's a lot. My main concern there is finding someone to work on them. It would be a very foreign bike to the shops around here. And I'm not capable of doing much more than an oil change and airing up the tire. I know I need to get more mechanically inclined though.

My other concern is finding one to test ride prior to buying without traveling a LONG distance. But that's not critical.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Dr650.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Dr650.
I'll second that. They're as reliable as a claw hammer with a minimum amount of maintenance.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
same here, had the klr...didnt like it. I've had a few different DR's and love them...DR350's, DRZ250's, and DR650's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Dr650.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
AGrant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm trying to locate a DRZ400 and a DR650 that I can go test ride. All stores are closed today and our local Suzuki dealer says "we don't do test rides!"

I'm doing a lot of research on the DRZ400. I know its carbureted, as was my KLX250. My KLX250 was very cold natured. You really had to get it warmed up before riding off. Is the DR line the same? How does the carb perform on the DRs?

Also, How's the suspension on the DRs?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
I'm trying to locate a DRZ400 and a DR650 that I can go test ride. All stores are closed today and our local Suzuki dealer says "we don't do test rides!"

I'm doing a lot of research on the DRZ400. I know its carbureted, as was my KLX250. My KLX250 was very cold natured. You really had to get it warmed up before riding off. Is the DR line the same? How does the carb perform on the DRs?

Anything that passes EPA emissions testing is gonna' be cold-blooded, but that's easy to fix. I can't speak to the DRZ400 but the DR650SE will benefit from some suspension tuning for a guy your size. But here's the good news. Mechanical skills are easy to acquire, and wrenching on your bike is therapeutic. In addition there are lots of folks willing to offer advice and/or help here on this site. You've come to the right place.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 986
I have a DRZ, voted for the KLR only because there's no option for the DR. Either one of those 650s would be a better choice than the DRZ, given the type of riding you want to do.

DR suspension is like any other bike; it'll need work to make it perfect for you, but it's good enough stock. Another benie of buying used is that the PO may have already done that work for you (albeit to their weight, not necessarily yours).
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
frogandtoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
At this moment I have 4 dualsports in my basement: a klx250s, a dr350, xr650l, and dr650. I bought the dr650 last and it's a keeper. I just like riding it the most. I did have to do a little carb adjustment, but it's easy to work on and fun (for me) to do. I really like the simplicity factor of the big DR. Plus if you read up on them, they have very few issues. Just look at size of the DR thread to see what following these bikes have. I will be selling the xr and the klx in the spring. May keep the dr350 as a spare. BTW, I know what you mean about the cold-naturedness of the klx. The DR cranks immediately even after all the times I've had the carb apart changing needle settings, etc.
frogandtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Dualsport4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I had a DR-Z400s and loved it. A friend had a KLX250s and we both agreed that the DRZ was better in most ways. I have never ridden a DR650 but have heard great things about them. I expect it would be excellent for your type of riding. With that said I voted for the KLR because, 1) no DR option, and 2) if you plan on riding 2up often it would likely be a better choice. I'm sure you will have a blast regardless of which you choose. Good luck.
Dualsport4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrant View Post

You pull out a couple hundred bucks for a down payment on the condition you like what you ride, you should get a test ride. If anyone set it up to buy the bike if they liked what they rode, we'd send them out. I'd tell them if you know you don't like it fairly quickly come back, don't put unnecessary miles on the bike, but if they do like it do a bit more. We had a decent route that would allow some good turns, some open road, and in town all in about 8 miles.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
At this moment I have 4 dualsports in my basement: a klx250s, a dr350, xr650l, and dr650. I bought the dr650 last and it's a keeper. I just like riding it the most. I did have to do a little carb adjustment, but it's easy to work on and fun (for me) to do. I really like the simplicity factor of the big DR. Plus if you read up on them, they have very few issues. Just look at size of the DR thread to see what following these bikes have. I will be selling the xr and the klx in the spring. May keep the dr350 as a spare. BTW, I know what you mean about the cold-naturedness of the klx. The DR cranks immediately even after all the times I've had the carb apart changing needle settings, etc.

I did the two extremes. I have the KLX650C (still strongest 650 dual sport from Japan in spite of being about 18 years gone from the US market) and the KLX250S. The 650 is more for my open road and some dirt/gravel road riding, the 250 is for off road and some dirt/gravel road riding. Minor overlap, but drastic differences in the extremes.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #15
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 181
2-up

Klr-650, It's the only one you can 2-up on for any more than a trip to starbucks. Has a luggage rack for your fishing gear and roomy enough for some slab time. As long as you are not doing single track it's perfect.

Adanac rider screwed with this post 02-03-2015 at 07:47 PM
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote