User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
timeOday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
20mm axle in 26mm fork? (KTM)

I was wondering if there is some way to use a 20mm wheel and axle in a 26mm fork.

The reason is the front of my Husaberg FE570 is hopping at speed and I think the front wheel should be sent away for repair. So I'd like to use my spare wheel and axle for my 2003 KTM Adventure 640 if possible to keep the Husaberg running while the wheel is away.

I think the brake rotor bolt pattern and hub width are the same - I'll have to check but there are kits to go the other way (new 26 mm wheel on old 20mm fork) so I am hopeful.

But what I think I would need is a pair of bushings with 20 mm ID and 26 mm OD and the same width as the fork axle clamp. Then a narrow slot all the way through the busing on one side so it could flex in diameter a bit allowing the fork clamps to get pressure on the axle. The end cap on the axle might not fit the fork clamp correctly but I don't think the cap matters anyways.

I wonder if some people were doing this back when KTM bumped up the axe size.
timeOday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
http://www.ktm-parts.com/SXS03540400.html

KTM makes a reduction kit.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Dao1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
BINGO!
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
timeOday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Excellent.

It is worth the $25 just to find out if mounting the other front wheel stops the hopping on the Husaberg. Oddly when I spin the wheel on the Husaberg, it seems pretty close to true and round, and the bead appears set properly, so I don't really know what's wrong. I did have a Shinko tire on my V-Strom once that developed a bulge in it, and that really caused a noticeable problem.

timeOday screwed with this post 05-13-2015 at 02:01 PM
Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,931
Is the wheel balanced?

My Gas Gas wheels hoped like that until I balanced them.

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 2,177
The KTM and the Husky come with a rim lock and are un-balanced. It is bad. You get a weird harmonic because the wheels are turning at different speeds.

You can buy the K&L 30 gram wheel weights, put about 45 grams on the front and 120 grams on the back.

OR: if you have a Wal-Mart or Bi-Mart, get some 3/16 lead fishing weight in a roll. Cut several lengths and wrap it on the spokes opposite the rim lock. You need a total of 20" on the front and 42" on the back. It's ugly, but works good and cheap.

OH, and good luck getting the adapter parts for the small axle. It's been on back order THFO.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
timeOday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The KTM and the Husky come with a rim lock and are un-balanced. It is bad. You get a weird harmonic because the wheels are turning at different speeds.

You can buy the K&L 30 gram wheel weights, put about 45 grams on the front and 120 grams on the back.

OR: if you have a Wal-Mart or Bi-Mart, get some 3/16 lead fishing weight in a roll. Cut several lengths and wrap it on the spokes opposite the rim lock. You need a total of 20" on the front and 42" on the back. It's ugly, but works good and cheap.

OH, and good luck getting the adapter parts for the small axle. It's been on back order THFO.
Shucks on the backorder. I can see why it would be a transitional item since they changed the axel size over 10 years ago.

But to answer the question, yeah, I have balanced the wheel with steel wheel weights,but not "dynamic balance," just what I can do on a rig that holds the axle level that I made out of 2x4s. In fact it had been WAY out of balance (took a ton of weights), and I was disappointed when it didn't help more.

Also, it's a Husaberg, not a Husqvarna. But I forgive you bcause I have a Husqvarna too.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I ordered mine and had them in 3-4 days this winter, put 625SMC wheels on my 450EXC. They were not on back order.

OP, just remove the front rim lock. I found it easier on the 450.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
timeOday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I ordered mine and had them in 3-4 days this winter, put 625SMC wheels on my 450EXC. They were not on back order.

OP, just remove the front rim lock. I found it easier on the 450.
FWIW I ordered the adapter back on 5/13 from Munn racing and have not heard or received anything. I assume there are some crack KTM machinists in Austria working overtime on them as we speak.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
timeOday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, what do you know, the adapter kit actually arrived today.

I am delighted, since now I'll be able to keep my Husaberg up while I send the front wheel off for repair. (I took out the rim lock and it helped noticeably, but not enough.)