Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #151
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Mine are close to level at the top fork crown but are more stable than standard after Dave did my suspension front and back.
moved the forks down through the triple clamps till they were flush with the top of the clamps (e.g. raised the front of the bike). through heaps of gnarly stuff yesterday and she still turned well, plus had some more stability at 100 kmh on the tar. i think this will suit my mix of dirt and adv riding.

re: earlier discussion on the te630 and fe570 for adv riding, personally i think the advantage the husky has over the berg on bitumen is quite small with the increased stability at speed now, compared to the huge advantage of the berg once you are off road (although the berg could really use the 12 liter tank). it's a frikkin awesome bike...
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #152
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,817
Takes close to 13 lites to fill them both.

Certainly makes life a bit easier if you are riding any distance, and you don't even know it is on the bike.

What settings do you have the rear suspension on, and what is your sag?

You may find that the front becomes more stable on the road when you get the rear suspension setting right.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #153
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Takes close to 13 lites to fill them both.
Certainly makes life a bit easier if you are riding any distance, and you don't even know it is on the bike.
What settings do you have the rear suspension on, and what is your sag?
You may find that the front becomes more stable on the road when you get the rear suspension setting right.
cruz, haven't even touched the suspension as it worked so well straight off the showroom floor. i guess i could always opt for a bit more rear sag if i want it even more stable at speed. but pretty happy now. and fitted the rekluse exp auto-clutch this arvo so keen to try it out tomorrow in the gnarly stuff. if anyone is interested i popped some husaberg info on a blog about husaberg fe570 fe450 fe390 mods.

B1 screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 12:45 AM
Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #154
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
While there's no traveling on the Husa in my near future, I did manage to squeeze in one last ride up the coast to play in the sand before I left town to work a few weeks ago…
I still don't really have an solid opinion about the Trials tire…. no love or no hate, but I doubt I'll run one again. One thing for sure, after a 140 mile pavement ride to get to the beach the knobs were noticeably wearing. Forward traction on various terrain is good, but the cornering leaves a lot to be desired, but that's to be expected I guess with a square tire.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #155
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Pakin' it on

All loaded up for a camping adventure.

A full camp stuffed into 24liters

I have 3 Medium (8 liter) Wolfman Rolie dry sacks on the bike. My goal was to stuff a full camp into this 24 liter/1464 cu in space.

- Rolie #1, Tent with rainfly and footprint, tent stakes, air pad, pillow. It’s full.
-Rolie #2, Stove, food (breakfast, trail munchies, dinner for 3 days), utensils, kitchen sink (aka bucket) & camp soap, water filter, collapsible 1 gal dromendary for camp water, spare front tube, tow rope, small first aid kit, camp shoes.
-Rolie #3, +15 down bag, extra layers of clothing for cold, swim trunks.
-Tent stakes strapped outside.
-Tool Tube: basic tools, tire irons.
-Kriega 15 Backpack: Water system, camera, sunglasses, headlight, hat, sun lotion, Klim GoreTex jacket shell, shell rain pants, air pump, one day’s worth of trail munchies, mini-shovel.

Did I say kitchen sink?

Rangers say you gotta have a bucket and shovel to be legal for camping in fire hazard areas, so I have a mini-shovel and 10liter kitchen sink.

Did I miss anything?

More later...

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #156
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

nice looking setup, cyborg. a few of us will be doing our first camping trip soonish so interested in how the bags on the side strap on to the bike. do the straps run around and under the side panels? to date we've just had luggage strapped to the top which has been fine for day trips. had a pic of it on the previous page, and this fe570 vid shows various ways we've been strapping small loads to the bergs.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #157
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Hi B1, thanks and fun video, but I didn't see any strappings : just fun riding! As for strapping on, for any of the brands, I borrowed shamelessly from an idea James Renazco showed me, namely: I took a Dremel tool with a disc cutter wheel and sliced very thin cuts in the rear fender plastic for exactly where I needed the straps. In this case the Wolfman saddlebag harness. I have more detailed pix but that will have to wait until after the trip I'm on. Will be mostly out of reach of the Internet for a week.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #158
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

B1, what is the luggage setup you are using at the moment?

How is the 570 compared to other bikes you are out and traveling with?

xronly
Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #159
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Got any close-ups of how/where you cut the plastic for the Rollie bag mount "harness" (or rack) whatever you wanna call it?

I've got a medium and two smalls for overnight (non-camping) trips. But I'm planing on getting a couple of mediums for a similar setup.

Quote:

Rangers say you gotta have a bucket and shovel to be legal for camping in fire hazard areas, so I have a mini-shovel and 10liter kitchen sink.
Like it.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #160
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Got any close-ups of how/where you cut the plastic for the Rollie bag mount "harness" (or rack) whatever you wanna call it?

I've got a medium and two smalls for overnight (non-camping) trips. But I'm planing on getting a couple of mediums for a similar setup.

Like it.
I just got back from a really rough trip using this setup and it held up very well. Info and pix will have to wait a bit since I'm worn out right now. As for cutting the slots, see post #157 above it's a thin slot the width of the strap, and just enough to slip the strap through. I "eyballed" them in, and the rear ones were a bit tricky.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #161
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
B1, what is the luggage setup you are using at the moment?
How is the 570 compared to other bikes you are out and traveling with?
hey cruz, still the budget setup. the kriega 10L tail bag for one day trips, then just strap down the 30L dry bag with everything in it including a jerry can of fuel.

it will be changing though, got a camping trip coming up so weighing up whether to go the giant loop bag, or cut slots in the plastics with a dremmel and just strap some extra dry bags on the sidepanels roughly like the setup above.

how does the 570 compare? well i'm kinda biased as i've fallen madly in love with the beast. for dirt roads to gnarly stuff its great. on bitumen its tolerable but i dont like doing more than about 10km of tar. but then i felt the same way on the DR650 too. it will be better once i gear it up though. running 14/45 at the moment and she cruises nicely at 90kmh. i'm going to go 15/45 on the cush drive rear wheel i've got for adv riding and i think she'll be happy doing 100kmh then for extended periods without that buzzy over revving feeling. then put a 48 on the stock wheel for dirt riding.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #162
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Running a 12, 13 or 14 x 52 on the 390, sits n the road at 100-110 no worries, done around 150 klms like that from NAnango to home. Seems to smooth out a bit just over 100kph.

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 11:12 PM
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #163
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

A few quick notes after a week of vacation riding high Colorado.

I'm really enjoying my 390, it's the perfect tough technical trail dual-sport setup. All the power and grunt you need for really rough backcountry and mine ran perfectly up to 13,000+ft. I ran the 12 tooth up front, a MUST for billy-goat trails. OEM 52 rear. The Rekluse Core EXP really made the tough stuff much easier. Renazco seat made 50+ mile stretches of pavement very tolerable.

Only thing better than one 390 is... two 390's

RR later...
Old 08-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #164
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Anyone made a better, stronger side stand for their Berg?

xronly
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #165
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
The Rekluse Core EXP really made the tough stuff much easier. Renazco seat made 50+ mile stretches of pavement very tolerable.l
cyborg, got the dremmel and will do some slots in the side panels this week for luggage storage as per your tip.
with your rekluse, did you go the standard wedges or put the heavy wedges in? i had issues on a previous bike with the rekluse slipping when winding throttle on in higher gears. are you getting the same thing at all?

occasionally think about the oil cooler/extra capacity still, but after a cheaper option than storage in an extended bashplate or tapping into the frame rails.

usually the jagg oil coolers slip behind the radiator but there's no room on the berg. i figured you could remove the plastic guard at the front of the radiator and mount a jagg oil cooler there, then you'd need to put a thin alloy screen in front of it for protection. but then this would pre-heat the air before it passed through the radiator, in effect transferring some heat from the transmission to the upper engine? only the six row cooler would fit and it would probably only add 150ml capacity so not much in the scheme of things. there's a similar oil cooler for bikes on ebay for $70 shipped but you'd have to wonder about the quality...

another option would the in line oil cooler here. the smaller one could fit in front of the radiator if suitable brackets were made but again bugger all increase in capacity, it would mainly be for cooling.