Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #166
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
cyborg, got the dremmel and will do some slots in the side panels this week for luggage storage as per your tip.
with your rekluse, did you go the standard wedges or put the heavy wedges in? i had issues on a previous bike with the rekluse slipping when winding throttle on in higher gears. are you getting the same thing at all?

occasionally think about the oil cooler/extra capacity still, but after a cheaper option than storage in an extended bashplate or tapping into the frame rails.

usually the jagg oil coolers slip behind the radiator but there's no room on the berg. i figured you could remove the plastic guard at the front of the radiator and mount a jagg oil cooler there, then you'd need to put a thin alloy screen in front of it for protection. but then this would pre-heat the air before it passed through the radiator, in effect transferring some heat from the transmission to the upper engine? only the six row cooler would fit and it would probably only add 150ml capacity so not much in the scheme of things. there's a similar oil cooler for bikes on ebay for $70 shipped but you'd have to wonder about the quality...

another option would the in line oil cooler here. the smaller one could fit in front of the radiator if suitable brackets were made but again bugger all increase in capacity, it would mainly be for cooling.
I used the standard wedges so far. Just a bit of squeal and chatter when starting out on tough sections, but no slipping once engaged. All the Rekluses squeal and chatter a bit, I've had 3 of them in 2 styles. Might try the heavier wedges per Jimmy Lewis and see how that works, but otherwise a rugged system.

Extra oil would be great but the 390's generate the least heat of the 3 FE sizes so I will get by for now. Tapping the frame would be cool, like that one RTW guy did, gets's a decent amount more oil in the system but would make for HOT frame rails.

Always interested in what people are trying with these bikes.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #167
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Now, as asked for, here was where I placed my slot cuts for the Wolfman Saddlebag harness

Two rear mounts

Right side mounts

Left side mounts

Rear strap routing

Right side strap routing

Left side strap routing

All mounted, ready for Rolie bags

Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #168
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,760
Great pics Cyborg.

Any problems or plastic flexing yet?

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #169
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Great pics Cyborg.

Any problems or plastic flexing yet?

Plastics held up well, no problems there. The Wolfman bags have to be cinched up tight to keep them in place, and they stay in place very well after that.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #170
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 168
My 'Berg's setup

Getting prepared for a trip in October, maybe one sooner too.

****I have a total of 2 gallons of fuel in numerous plastic litre bottles in the yellow pack.

****I tested the bike today with the equivalent weight of 2 gallons of fuel in the yellow pack and it's a NO GO. Too much weight and it would bounce against the rear fender too much. So, I'll put the fuel down low in the GL black bag and light stuff in the yellow bag.

All total including a 35 litre capacity Kriega motorcycle backpack I have 90 litres of storage space for everything including the small kitchen sink:

IMG_1134

IMG_1137

IMG_1136

Rider1 screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 08:47 PM Reason: Test results.
Rider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #171
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
nice looking setup cyborg and rider1!
Love your ingenuity cyborg, nice setup and rigging.
Havnen't been getting notices about this thread for some reason….

rider1, I'm actually in vegas doing a gig for a few days, rode the Husa here, then leaving to jump on the TAT heading west either tomorrow night or wednesday morning. I decided to do this at the very last minute with only a half day to get it all ready… If I can get to the Ocean to the left as fast as I think I can I'll have time for some of the OBDR before I ride home.
Like you, carrying gas has been a challenge and priority, working with what I have, can carry, and have used before, I settled with using a MSR dromedary bag, giving me a total of 3.5 gallons of fuel. Should be no problem, the Husa is geared for the long haul and will be getting excellent milage….. Fuel will still be a big part of this adventure. :)

I have no pics, my bike is unloaded at the time, getting ready to use it to commute to work, but I'm just using the GL Mojave, 1 small wolfman bag, a front fender bag and a Krega 10L bag.

Will post up some photos when I can.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 09:25 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #172
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

What gearing are you running? Are you breaking 50mpg?

I'll pm you my number here if you want/need anything please give me a call.

Dave

rider1, I'm actually in vegas doing a gig for a few days, rode the Husa here, then leaving to jump on the TAT heading west either tomorrow night or wednesday morning. I decided to do this at the very last minute with only a half day to get it all ready… If I can get to the Ocean to the left as fast as I think I can I'll have time for some of the OBDR before I ride home.
Like you, carrying gas has been a challenge and priority, working with what I have, can carry, and have used before, I settled with using a MSR dromedary bag, giving me a total of 3.5 gallons of fuel. Should be no problem, the Husa is geared for the long haul and will be getting excellent milage….. Fuel will still be a big part of this adventure. :)

I have no pics, my bike is unloaded at the time, getting ready to use it to commute to work, but I'm just using the GL Mojave, 1 small wolfman bag, a front fender bag and a Krega 10L bag.

Will post up some photos when I can.

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #173
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Just had a conversation with Barton aka Beta, after 31,500 kms through the Americas over the last 6 months he is now back in Montana.... Long live the 70° bikes, they are going to be collectors items soon. ]
amen. you have to wonder if the kato engine being dropped into the 2013 bergs will have the same kind of reliability. do you know if barton has any plans on a top end rebuild after this trip? i'm interested to know what sort of mileage berg owners are doing before major engine work but not a lot of riders have clocked up more than 20 000km on their 70 degree engines...

if anyone has been thinking about stegz pegz, you might be interested in a cheap arse mod that suits adv riding as there's a pair of bolts on the bike just in the right spot if you are doing mainly level ground and few steep descents (e.g. typical adv riding). only tested it around the suburb today but will give the setup a good workout this weekend and see if it holds up. the write up is here.

B1 screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 11:40 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #174
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
What gearing are you running? Are you breaking 50mpg?

I'm now running 14/45, getting a little over 50mpg on the pavement, looking forward to getting on the trail tomorrow.

LostRider.com
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #175
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

I arrived home late last night from an awesome, trouble free ride on the Husa!
It was time for a proper ride, LOST style on this bike....

The ride was a little over 2600 miles in 5.5 days, 50% dirt and with a 850 mile trek home on the last day, covering (mostly) the Nevada and Oregon Trans America Trail, then the PCH south.
From brutal hot deserts to wet cold rain forests, lots of fast endless gravel roads, a few challenging trails, sand dunes, then a hell of a lot of pavement, the whole way the FE570 didn't skip a beat and was a blast to ride. Sunrise to after sunset riding most days with only a short amount time to get Lost.
I've ridden most of this track before on my GS, I have to say it was incredibly more fun to be sliding around corners and not afraid to take shortcuts on this lightweight bike, the hell with needing more cargo capacity! It's all about the ride!
I was able to pack all I needed for comfortable sleeping, eating and huge 70ºF temperature swings I felt on this ride without a problem on the Husaberg.

Running with just stock fuel capacity and a MSR bag with fuel hanging off my backpack proved to be quite stressful, ran out of gas twice, luckily in convenient places where I got help. Fuel was always on my mind, luckily it doesn't take much throttle to have fun with this bike and I was able to squeeze the most out what little I had. Consistent 50 MPG on pavement (under 70mph), and averaged 44 MPG on gravel and dirt.
The Husa did develop a couple oil leaks that I kept my eye on, both around the left side cover and the counter sprocket.

Here's a couple photos to start, more to come in my RR.

Having a Kreiga US 10 bag with the tent and stakes in it strapped to the Mojave worked out great. Sleeping bag, pad, stove/pot/frypan combo and toiletries all fit in the Wolfman on tail. Shoes, clothes, towel and a few misc. bits went in the Mojave. Tent poles and axe strapped to the outside.
Air pump and first aid kit went in the front fender bag.

Fuel on my Ortleib pack back. Water filter, fleece jacket, gloves, hydration bladder, charging cables and food/beer went in backpack.

One happy camper!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 06:30 PM
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #176
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,760
Top ride and report there Lost Rider. Your luggage setup looks spot on. The 70 Degree subframe tank would take a bit of weight off your back, but I presume you only had the MSR filled when necessary. How was your tyre wear over the trip and what tyre is on the rear?

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #177
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Thanks Cruz.

Yeah, getting that weight off my back is top priority. A subframe tank and a big front tank is in my future once the budget allows... While I had a great time, I was somewhat limited by my lack of range, always needing to head towards the next fuel stop, many of which where 150+ miles away. Didn't leave much room for error or further exploring, had to take a 8 mile detour after not being able to get through the planned route and ran out of gas 5 miles from a station, luckily it was on a more traveled road and some loggers gave me some gas.

I started the trip out with the OEM Six Days Extreme tire I remounted recently, it got me to NE Nevada where I had a D606 waiting for me to finish the trip.
Didn't care the 6 days much as expected, but loved the D606 as always. It's the De Facto general purpose DS tire IMHO. The D606 is very predictable, excellent on fast twisty gravel roads, rock gardens, sand dunes, hard pack dirt, and is also excellent on pavement.

The Metzler was gone at 1000 miles after 500 miles of pavement, the D606 is half worn after 1600 miles, half pavement.
Love that tire.

LostRider.com
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #178
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Lost, what size MSR bag you running?

I did a N. CA ride over the weekend and used a MSR 6L bag tied to my seat/fender and it never moved. I could not feel the weight at all during the high speed runs.

Get a 10L and strap to the top of everything?

I am considering the the 70d tank when it is done, as it is nice to just have it as a part of the bike. That additional 45 mi range would come in handy too.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #179
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
The Husa did develop a couple oil leaks that I kept my eye on, both around the left side cover and the counter sprocket.
After 10,000+ks my 'Berg started to leak around the sprocket - phone Dealer to order seal and Ó' ring. He said that it was probably only the Ó' ring that was leaking. So I took the plunge and changed the Ó'ring only. Looks like he was right ( in this case)

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #180
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

That's one helluva ride Finn !

Glad all went well...for the most part anyway.

I wonder how you cope with the wind blast while on the pavement mostly .... when I ride my 'Berg over 60mph the wind blast get's real tiring real soon.

And a +1 on the D606. Great tire !

Dave