Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #181
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I arrived home late last night from an awesome, trouble free ride on the Husa!
It was time for a proper ride, LOST style on this bike....

That's really cool Finn!

I'm heading to Moab in October if you've got more time to ride...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #182
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,120
yeah, great sunset shot.

how are you guys going with the distribution of weight on the berg? i didn't bother with the tank bag and had everything strapped to the back and sides for a recent camping trip in 3 x 30 litre dry bags but wasn't all that happy with the way the bike was handling.

i'll get another chance to mess around this weekend and figured i'd try keeping fuel and the tool kit up in the tank bag to try and even things out a bit. anyone messed around with weight distribution and come up with a good compromise?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #183
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Looks like a great trip Finn! I see you went a lot lighter on the luggage this trip than earlier setups. Did you have all the basics for a full camp? Bag, sleeping pad, cooking, food etc, etc... Looks pretty minimal in the pics.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #184
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
That's really cool Finn!

I'm heading to Moab in October if you've got more time to ride...

Thanks Larry!

I have Utah in my sights for some exploring on the Berg, only been there on bigger bikes, unfortunately I'm going to be on tour working all of October... hopefully will see you at the n00bs ride coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
That's one helluva ride Finn !

Glad all went well...for the most part anyway.

I wonder how you cope with the wind blast while on the pavement mostly .... when I ride my 'Berg over 60mph the wind blast get's real tiring real soon.

And a +1 on the D606. Great tire !

Dave

Thanks Dave!

I try to keep balanced so the wind isn't pulling on me too hard, saving energy with a light grip on the bars. Very similar to when I do Iron Butt street rides, little meals, perfect balance, stay moving. Even at 75mph like on the 800 mile one day ride home wind wasn't as much of an issue as my butt, even with the Airhawk. Most of my discomfort came from having the fuel and water on my back, I did move fuel to the bike every 25 miles or half gallon while on the trail to help, but wind was never the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotyred View Post
After 10,000+ks my 'Berg started to leak around the sprocket - phone Dealer to order seal and ' ring. He said that it was probably only the ' ring that was leaking. So I took the plunge and changed the 'ring only. Looks like he was right ( in this case)
I've been battling with these leaks for a while, thought I had them under control. I've replaced the counter shaft seal and o-ring 3 times and it wasn't leaking before this trip, then I changed from a 13t to a 14t sprocket for this ride and it started leaking again. It leaks most when doing high speed runs.
I've also replaced the left side engine cover gasket and used silicon around where the wires come out, this is where it is now leaking the most... have to try that one again.

I'll try and replace just the o-ring and see if that works, good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Lost, what size MSR bag you running?

I did a N. CA ride over the weekend and used a MSR 6L bag tied to my seat/fender and it never moved. I could not feel the weight at all during the high speed runs.

Get a 10L and strap to the top of everything?

I am considering the the 70d tank when it is done, as it is nice to just have it as a part of the bike. That additional 45 mi range would come in handy too.

I used the 6L bag which gives me 1.5 gallons of fuel, I also have a 4L MSR bag, that one fits nicely inside the Mojave bag though I didn't go that route on this ride. If you have a Mojave you could put 2 of the 4L MSR bags in it, if you can spare the space.

It sure will be nice when that new 70 tank comes out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
yeah, great sunset shot.

how are you guys going with the distribution of weight on the berg? i didn't bother with the tank bag and had everything strapped to the back and sides for a recent camping trip in 3 x 30 litre dry bags but wasn't all that happy with the way the bike was handling.

i'll get another chance to mess around this weekend and figured i'd try keeping fuel and the tool kit up in the tank bag to try and even things out a bit. anyone messed around with weight distribution and come up with a good compromise?

Thanks B1!

I was very happy with the handling of my bike, granted the majority of this ride was high speed roads, dirt and pavement. Nevada was more rocky than the gravel roads in Oregon. The few times things got more technical I didn't have any issues.
I would estimate my entire pack weighs about 25 pounds, minus the extra fuel on my back.

In my tank bag I just carried my camera, a small tripod, the tools needed to adjust the chain, sometimes snacks, sometimes a beer or two. My girl has the larger GL tank bag on her GS, would have been nice to use that one and have more space to take thing out of my backpack, but her bike was in a shop getting re-mapped when I decided at the last minute to do this ride.

Question though, are you increasing your shock preload when packing you bike? I cranked mine up a little so my sag was correct with my gear on the bike, along with a little more compression dampening, maybe that's why I'm happy with the handling while loaded and your not. Just thinking out loud now.

Speaking of remapping....

Tomorrow the Husa is going into Bazzaz tuners, who I hooked up with after they requested a G650GS to use as their test bike to make a plug in performance tuning module. Turns out they were looking for a FE570S too so I'm taking my Husa into them for a week for them to have it on a dyno and make a module for it.
Should be exciting to see what they will do to the Husa, the GS now has a switch to go from either more power or better fuel economy, hopefully they will make a similar product for all of us... would be nice to have a timing switch AND a map switch to be able to tune our bikes for the road ahead.... will keep you all posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Looks like a great trip Finn! I see you went a lot lighter on the luggage this trip than earlier setups. Did you have all the basics for a full camp? Bag, sleeping pad, cooking, food etc, etc... Looks pretty minimal in the pics.

Thanks Cyborg!

I had smaller stuff than when I used the 2 wolfman bags on the tank, it was much colder then and I used my warmer bag and had more clothes.
I have been refining my traveling gear for years, granted packing the Husa can be a little more challenging, but I beleive I've found the setup that works for me and my stuff. As you know it's always a balance of being comfortable and not overloading the bike. Nice thing is now it's easy to pack like this, I can be packed and moving in about 25 minutes from waking up, including having coffee. Works out good when I'm camping in places I shouldn't be.

Tent, bag, pad, stove/pot/fry pan combo, grill, shoes, pants, shorts, fleece, hat, warm gloves, long underwear, towel, cool vest, axe, bear spray, camera stuff, first aid kit, air pump, spare tubes, various tools (stored in hidden compartment on left side of bike), tow rope, block and tackle pulley, water filter (with 4L water bag), food and beer.

I was well prepared for the variety of climates, could travel like this for any amount of time, the only thing I need to change is how I carry fuel and increase the oil capacity to have a perfect long range ADV bike.
I NEED to do that oil in the frame mod....

More than likely I'll add another Kreiga US 10 bag to strap to the other side of the Mojave to put my water bladder in, I want to get all the weight off my back and just have lightweight stuff like my fleece in it, saving space for food and beer at the last gas stop of the day as I like to camp where I end up around sunset.

Either way I finally took a ride that's more my style on the Husaberg, the rest were just local excursions up to now and foresee many fun miles ahead on this bike.

Water filter Gravity Works

Fresh cold water

Charging off the Shorai at camp

Stove combo, Primus Eta Express. I primarily cook with the fire and just use the stove for coffee, though when there's no camp fire it cooks just fine too.

Two man tent, all my camping/sleeping gear is Big Agnes.

Firewood

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 11:28 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #185
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
... hopefully will see you at the n00bs ride coming up!
Did I miss something? Or am I a complete n00b?
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #186
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,148
I guess it's a little ways away....

Last years:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753744

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #187
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Lost, it sure looks like you need to replace your counter sprocket, that sucker looks worn!

On the fuel thing, I'm thinking we can clamp a bar across the bash guard bars. I wonder with the bar and netting, it could easily carry 4L in a bag/bottle in front or on top of the number plate.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #188
drew26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb fuel tank

Gidday there has anyone bought the new ACERBIS 2.1ltr aux handlebar tank for there husaberg.
Would like to know if they fit have been told by the importer here in oz that they have sold plenty of them to KTM owners.
Sorry for no link not real good with that.
Drew
drew26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #189
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
This it?

http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index...s/product/1204

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #190
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Appears your Leica is still in good order!
How much of that is Photo Shop ... or is it mostly the Camera?

Very nice work in any case and a very tidy setup!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #191
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew26 View Post
Gidday there has anyone bought the new ACERBIS 2.1ltr aux handlebar tank for there husaberg.
Would like to know if they fit have been told by the importer here in oz that they have sold plenty of them to KTM owners.

Auxiliary fuel tank, good for all kinds of handlebars (cross, dirt bike, trail and motard). Capacity: 2.1 Liters
Syphon Kit: Connects the handle bar fuel tank to the main tank and automatically syphon's fuel while you ride. With this design, the handlebar tank empties first and then you continue to ride on your main tank.

interesting idea. but $150? i think i'd prefer just to put two of those 1L fuel bottles from bunnings in the tank and keep the weight a bit lower. speaking of which, has anyone ever spotted 2L fuel bottles or jerrycans? i've seen a 2L alloy fuel bottle for camping fuel but would prefer something rectangular that would fit the tank bag nicely.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #192
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote: "I've been battling with these leaks for a while, thought I had them under control. I've replaced the counter shaft seal and o-ring 3 times and it wasn't leaking before this trip, then I changed from a 13t to a 14t sprocket for this ride and it started leaking again. It leaks most when doing high speed runs.
I've also replaced the left side engine cover gasket and used silicon around where the wires come out, this is where it is now leaking the most... have to try that one again.

I'll try and replace just the o-ring and see if that works, good info
."

Keep in mind all KTMs and Husaberg 4 strokes are sensitive to sprocket thickness. some aftermarket sprockets are thinner so you may need to add a washer to put enough pressure on the O-ring to seal.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #193
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

Auxiliary fuel tank, good for all kinds of handlebars (cross, dirt bike, trail and motard). Capacity: 2.1 Liters
Syphon Kit: Connects the handle bar fuel tank to the main tank and automatically syphon's fuel while you ride. With this design, the handlebar tank empties first and then you continue to ride on your main tank.

interesting idea. but $150? i think i'd prefer just to put two of those 1L fuel bottles from bunnings in the tank and keep the weight a bit lower. speaking of which, has anyone ever spotted 2L fuel bottles or jerrycans? i've seen a 2L alloy fuel bottle for camping fuel but would prefer something rectangular that would fit the tank bag nicely.
Seen the 1.5 litre MSR / Primus fuel bottles for sale, they are a fair size but suitable for packing onto a Berg somewhere.

How did those replica Stegz Pegz dunny door stops work out on the weekend?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #194
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
How did those replica Stegz Pegz dunny door stops work out on the weekend?
great. i lashed out another $8 for the parts and we set up fred's bike with them too before we took off. he's a lot shorter than me and found the positioning great too so seems to suit tall and short arse riders (sorry fred). i deliberately put heaps of pressure on them to see if the rubber stops would peel off but they stayed firmly anchored the whole weekend.

write up here if anyone wants to give it a go.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #195
drew26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
fuel tank

Thanks for putting the youtube up B1
$150.00 is a bit rich but i,m already useing two 1ltr fuel cans and a 5ltr cow dredgeing container in my back pack and been stopped at the service station for filling the 5ltr container up.
So l think i will have to spend some money.DREW
drew26 is offline   Reply With Quote