Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #226
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
How u guys mounting your Garmin Montanas? Got any pics and wisdom to share? What would you do differently? I got a HDB setup coming with std topclamp. I figure i can drill the top plate as needed. id like to move ignition, add 12v source, and mount the Montana. Havent bought any ram mount parts yet.

I'm using a RAM mount to Garmin cradle mount. I have the RAM ball that has the bolt in it, no drilling or clamps on my bars.
I tapped into power behind the headlight, power comes on with ignition. Love the setup.
I'm far away from home and my bike is still getting tuned at Bazzaz, I will be home and should have it back Wednesday and can take some photos of what wires I tapped into.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #227
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Like Finn did, I also use RAM ball mounts that replace the bar clamp bolts, in my case, two of them. That gives me two mount points for anything that will clamp to a RAM ball.

I usually run a GPS on the left and a SPOT tracker on the right.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #228
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Like Finn did, I also use RAM ball mounts that replace the bar clamp bolts, in my case, two of them. That gives me two mount points for anything that will clamp to a RAM ball.

Did you relocate your ignition key as well? If so, is that a home made bracket?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #229
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Did you relocate your ignition key as well? If so, is that a home made bracket?
My 2011 FE390 didn't come with an ignition key switch. That is an aftermarket switch from Sicass Racing you can get here and it comes with that bracket to mount anywhere you want.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #230
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:

No, no, no... Wrong! You have to run the SPOT on the left and the GPS on the RIGHT

At least that's how I do it - same set up essentially, using the RAM mount balls.

As for power - I have my Garmin Rugged Mount hooked up to switched power (only on when ignition is on). I had to redo it recently as the GPS would keep turning itself off on high speed (highway) runs. It seems that the original electrical connectors (bullet style) weren't adequate. I replaced them with weatherpak-style connectors and haven't had any problems since.
http://photos.boggis.com

BogeyMan screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 11:06 AM Reason: Add info on power.
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #231
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Thanks guys, that seems like a great way to go.

What ram ball types are those. There seems to be quite a few, but I haven't been able to find those ones yet.

Edit: Found it.
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...am-b-367u.html

rensho screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 01:33 PM
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #232
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,211
yep, couldn't find those ram mount balls but keen to get some.

i like the idea of the ignition key for the berg, i always put the steering lock on when stopped at pubs or small towns etc on adv rides but would be good to have keyed ignition as well. wish i'd known about their mapping switches, they are cheaper than the 70 degree ones and a lot better than the OEM one i bought for the same price.

found the link here. looks like good value at $49 although the $36 shipping to australia is a bugger. it looks like it is just plug and play, no installation issues or new connectors required, cyborg?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #233
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Thanks guys, that seems like a great way to go.

What ram ball types are those. There seems to be quite a few, but I haven't been able to find those ones yet.

Edit: Found it.
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...am-b-367u.html
Think they are this http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...-60mm-M8-bolts can be found for a couple bucks cheaper than TT though.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #234
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
No, no, no... Wrong! You have to run the SPOT on the left and the GPS on the RIGHT

At least that's how I do it - same set up essentially, using the RAM mount balls.

As for power - I have my Garmin Rugged Mount hooked up to switched power (only on when ignition is on)
I like to manipluate the GPS while I'm riding (safety third) so like it close to my non-throttle hand. I also have it hardwired to switched power to prevent draining my Shorai battery when bike is off.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #235
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

i like the idea of the ignition key for the berg, i always put the steering lock on when stopped at pubs or small towns etc on adv rides but would be good to have keyed ignition as well. wish i'd known about their mapping switches, they are cheaper than the 70 degree ones and a lot better than the OEM one i bought for the same price.

found the link here. looks like good value at $49 although the $36 shipping to australia is a bugger. it looks like it is just plug and play, no installation issues or new connectors required, cyborg?

Try Johnny Appleseed in Brisbane for the ram mounts.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #236
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

Correct, plug and play IIRC. Easy to connect. Haven't seen built-in steering lock on FE's, maybe S versions?

Lost Rider's gonna get mad at us for going off track here with gizmo's when we should be posting them here, lets see some camping setups!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #237
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Correct, plug and play IIRC. Easy to connect. Haven't seen built-in steering lock on FE's, maybe S versions?

Lost Rider's gonna get mad at us for going off track here with gizmo's when we should be posting them here, lets see some camping setups!
The European FEs all have a steering lock, Australian ones probably too?

Then again, we don't have the S version, they are all street legal here except the FX.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #238
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The European FEs all have a steering lock, Australian ones probably too?

Then again, we don't have the S version, they are all street legal here except the FX.
Yeah, steering lock only here.

xronly
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #239
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Cyborg, do you use the steering damper very often?

Do you find it is more useful when you have a heavy camping or travel load on the bike?

xronly
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #240
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
haha

I would think that GPS's and how they mount on our bikes is very relevant to Adventure Traveling on a Husaberg.

Every once in a while I just try and keep this thread somewhat on track to Traveling on a Husa, though I understand that's a subjective topic and has many grey areas, I do also get that the other mega thread can be difficult to sift through to find info.

With that said, here's my oil report from my last Mad Dash on the Husa, I did call Blackstone with a few questions about this report, and basically he said running the oil that long wasn't bad for the bike generally. The main thing they recommended was checking my air filter because that's what could be causing some of the additional wear they saw.
Since I was riding in my preferred way - solo - after 2600 miles my air filter didn't really look too dirty, much less than after 2 days riding single track with a few guys and sucking in dust.
Of course I will try to change my oil more often when on the road, but good to know it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be by riding 2600 miles without an oil change.

I'm still using the original filter and just clean it when needed or before a trip. Is there any aftermarket filter I should get to improve on the filtering?
Any suggestions for maintaining the air filter while on the road? Carrying a can of spray cleaner and filter oil doesn't seem like a viable option for me and my small pack. Maybe just carrying a spare pre oiled filter in a ziplock bag to swap halfway would work.

I found a lot of oil in my air box after this ride, and besides laying the bike on it's side for 3 seconds when I ran out of gas I didn't drop the bike at all on this last ride, not once did it spend any amount of time on it's side.
I have found oil in there before, but figured it was from the bike being on it's side when I went down. For all I know the oil that looks like it's leaking around where the wires come out of the top of the left side cover could be running down the fuel line from the bottom of the air box. I've seen what looks like that before with oil on the fuel line.
Does anyone have any ideas why I'm seeing so much oil in my air box?...

Also, thank you for the info about aftermarket sprockets Indy, makes a lot of sense. Do you know the size washers I should get to shim it a little tighter? Seems like Home Depot washers of that diameter could be too thick.
I'm due for new chain and sprockets anyways, was going to get them from www.sprocketcenter.com, but is there any specific manufacturer that's better known to make sprockets that don't need shimming?

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote