User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #586
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Seat Concepts Seat

I installed a new Seat Concepts foam and cover today. After going for a short ride, i immediately questiond why I had waited so long to get rid of that 2x4 the Husaberg came with from the factory that's called a seat. Just saying, the new seat feels pretty nice.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #587
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Skid Plate/Tool Box/Gas Tank?

Ok, so I looked into the skid plate/tool box on page 18 of this forum, and decided to build it instead of buy it since the cost was prohibitive considering the current exchange rate. I don't feel like I'm stealing a design either, because I had already spotted one of these on another rider's bike and considered building a similar one a long time before this company started building this one. Ok, that said, I have cut everything out of cardboard and fitted it all together giving me a good pattern and I have ordered the aluminum plate. The more I look at this though, the more I consider turning it into an extra fuel tank instead. Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #588
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Ok, so I looked into the skid plate/tool box on page 18 of this forum, and decided to build it instead of buy it since the cost was prohibitive considering the current exchange rate. I don't feel like I'm stealing a design either, because I had already spotted one of these on another rider's bike and considered building a similar one a long time before this company started building this one. Ok, that said, I have cut everything out of cardboard and fitted it all together giving me a good pattern and I have ordered the aluminum plate. The more I look at this though, the more I consider turning it into an extra fuel tank instead. Any thoughts?
Well, if you can built one of reasonable quality, and feel like making an extra one (or two), I'm sure you could recoup some costs selling them here... I'd buy one if it was in the $150 ballpark.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #589
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
You would store fuel, or a fuel container? If fuel, how would you get it up to the tank level?
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #590
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,030
finally getting the berg into some decent adventure riding, just finished seven days and 2300km offroad through eastern australia. the berg handled everything brilliantly, just falling in love with it a bit more every ride...

Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #591
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Well, if you can built one of reasonable quality, and feel like making an extra one (or two), I'm sure you could recoup some costs selling them here... I'd buy one if it was in the $150 ballpark.
I could sell the pattern on here for a few bucks and you could have your own fabricated, but the aluminum alone is around $100-$120 with shipping. I am planning on doing all the cutting and bending then having a welder friend put it together at $45 per hour for welding time. I figure I'll be into it $250 by the time I'm done. I wish it could be done for $150.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #592
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
You would store fuel, or a fuel container? If fuel, how would you get it up to the tank level?
There are two possible ways I'm considering. First, using a snowmobile lift pump. These pumps are a vacume operated, the only issue will be finding the correct vacume source. I think I already have that figured out and the pumps are cheap. The second route is to just place a micro electric fuel pump in line and use it to transfer fuel to the 70 degree tank that I already have on the bike.

And, yes, believe it or not, I run low on fuel quite often even with the 70 degree tank.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #593
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
I could sell the pattern on here for a few bucks and you could have your own fabricated, but the aluminum alone is around $100-$120 with shipping. I am planning on doing all the cutting and bending then having a welder friend put it together at $45 per hour for welding time. I figure I'll be into it $250 by the time I'm done. I wish it could be done for $150.
Just goes to show I (and probably most others) don't have a clue. I had no idea that aluminum plate was so expensive. Thanks for updating me (and opening my eyes). If you're willing to share your pattern for a few $$$, PM me and we can take it from there.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #594
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just goes to show I (and probably most others) don't have a clue. I had no idea that aluminum plate was so expensive. Thanks for updating me (and opening my eyes). If you're willing to share your pattern for a few $$$, PM me and we can take it from there.
When I finish mine, I'll put the pattern on a single sheet of paper for a 36x36 sheet of aluminum and make it available. I'll make a reccommendation also on which aluminum to use since there are large differences in aluminum, some bends, some breaks, some can be welded, and some can't. I'll also give a link to where I found a custom aluminum filler neck and aluminum 3/8th in NPT bungs that come ready to be welded onto the tank. When I'm done, I'll post a few pics and make the pattern and info available.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #595
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
B1 that was an excellent video, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of hardware did you use to mount your camera? I am planning on doing a couple of videos and I am looking to use as few mounts as possible. So versitility is key.
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #596
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

You Sir have more balls than I.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #597
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
B1 that was an excellent video, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of hardware did you use to mount your camera? I am planning on doing a couple of videos and I am looking to use as few mounts as possible. So versitility is key.
most of that was hand held. the gopro is stuck to a flattened piece of alloy tube that doubles up as "boot cam" and can be slipped down the side of a boot and faced forward or backward. got a pic of it on this thread. main issue is it tends to get a bit shaky even when i'm trying to hold it steady. side mounting to the helmet is a lot steadier, plus you get to ride with two hands, but you don't have the versatility of angles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
it does look a bit stupid in retrospect. but we had to detour so many times off our planned route, and when we came to that broken bridge we couldn't face backtracking yet again. so when i made it up on to the bridge i kind of got carried way with riding off it. if i'd messed it up it was only a four foot drop into water and soft sand thankfully...
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #598
pRICK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
finally getting the berg into some decent adventure riding, just finished seven days and 2300km offroad through eastern australia. the berg handled everything brilliantly, just falling in love with it a bit more every ride...
Bloody brilliant B1. I am glad the music didn't over power the music like some do.

Rick
pRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #599
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I think we have the same number, mine are just much much smaller!
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #600
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
I paid $500 for mine!
$150 is a pipe dream