Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #616
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Yeah it looks okay but too flimsy for bumping... cracks in the middle.

Well, not in the middle but here's the pic:

Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #617
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Header Guard

I have the Flatland Racing guard on my 570 too. I've had two issues with it in the past year. The first issue is the breaks in the guard along the front edge work like teeth. I've had plant material get caught in here several time out on the trail and begin burning. It hasn't hurt the bike, but I'm a little concerned about the possibility of starting a wildfire. The second issue is the screw and brackets that hold it to the pipe. I've replaced the screws more than once and a bracket once. I finally safety wired them to keep them in place, Other than those two items, it is a good piece, just requiures a little attention if you are bush bashing and occasional maintenance.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #618
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
The one thing about 3BR (saw their booth at the KTM Rally in 2012) is they have engineered both sides of the problem. The bike power part and the USB port to the device part, all waterproof. Handy to use while raining if the USB port is exposed and not hiding in a tank bag.
That was a nice find cyborg and Lost.

I had been waiting to put in a 12v cig plug, then converting to USB, but now installing the USB plug just cuts out the middle man!

Lost, I left the iphone 4s to get a droid. ;-)
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #619
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Couldn't tell what the power capacity was on the eBay unit. These guys make (2.1A) power waterproof USB connection ports. Bit more spendy.

http://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php
Just installed a 3br USB tapp on my e start xr600.

I have no key - the passive loss of electricity is huge. These things draw power even with nothing plugged in!!

rmhrc628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #620
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
3BR stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Just installed a 3br USB tapp on my e start xr600.

I have no key - the passive loss of electricity is huge. These things draw power even with nothing plugged in!!

I noticed the same with the 3br USB wired directly to the battery on my WR250X. Seems like it takes about a week to draw the battery down, but it definitely has a significant draw (just sitting there, not charging anything). It's a great piece though & very waterproof...but probably a good idea to find a switched circuit to connect it to though.
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #621
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD! View Post
I noticed the same with the 3br USB wired directly to the battery on my WR250X. Seems like it takes about a week to draw the battery down, but it definitely has a significant draw (just sitting there, not charging anything). It's a great piece though & very waterproof...but probably a good idea to find a switched circuit to connect it to though.
They'll all draw some at idle, but it sounds like an issue. Did either of you guys measure current draw at idle?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #622
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
They'll all draw some at idle, but it sounds like an issue. Did either of you guys measure current draw at idle?
I haven't bothered checking. In my case it doesn't draw enough to have any effect if I'm riding (even at idle), just when the bike sits in the garage for a week or more and a battery tender takes care of that problem just fine.
I imagine with the little batteries they have to stuff in an XRR it could become an issue pretty fast.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #623
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
My Fluke clamp meter shows a .01a draw at idle and I could notice a drop in my battery voltage after a couple days, even with a Shorai battery. My bike doesn't sit on a tender so I'm just keep the positive lead disconnected when the bike is sitting.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #624
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks LostRider,

0.01a isn't enough to get excited about for me.

I wonder if the higher output model has a lousier dc-dc converter.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #625
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Thanks LostRider,

0.01a isn't enough to get excited about for me.

I wonder if the higher output model has a lousier dc-dc converter.

To be honest my Fluke RMS meter isn't really designed for this testing, it's my work meter with a 700amp AC measuring capability so that number is probably not accurate. It's drawing something though at idle for sure and did drain my battery slightly after a few days. Like you said, maybe the larger capacity USB converter draws more than mine. Easy fix for me having the connections easily accessible though.

Here's from the 3BR site on their product:

3. TAPP quiescent current (power consumption with no load) will drain a small motorcycle battery in as little as three to five days if connected directly to the battery. It is recommended that TAPP be connected to a switched power source to prevent battery drain when the vehicle is not running. A Posi-TapTM tap connector supplied in the installation kit makes a robust connection to the vehicle electrical system quick and easy.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #626
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I haven't bothered checking. In my case it doesn't draw enough to have any effect if I'm riding (even at idle), just when the bike sits in the garage for a week or more and a battery tender takes care of that problem just fine.
I imagine with the little batteries they have to stuff in an XRR it could become an issue pretty fast.
I run a shorai under seat battery which was drained in 3 days.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #627
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider

3. TAPP quiescent current (power consumption with no load) will drain a small motorcycle battery in as little as three to five days if connected directly to the battery. It is recommended that TAPP be connected to a switched power source to prevent battery drain when the vehicle is not running. A Posi-TapTM tap connector supplied in the installation kit makes a robust connection to the vehicle electrical system quick and easy.
I never was any good at doing my homework...
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #628
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I never was any good at doing my homework...
I read that too. I think it's a significant fault. I have Garmin power leads directly connected to the battery, hid power leads and no drain at all. What is it about an unloaded USB port that drains power?

Imagine all the electricity the world is consuming from unloaded (unused) USB ports!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #629
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
I read that too. I think it's a significant fault. I have Garmin power leads directly connected to the battery, hid power leads and no drain at all. What is it about an unloaded USB port that drains power?

Imagine all the electricity the world is consuming from unloaded (unused) USB ports!!!!
USB ports put out 5 volts. Your bike battery is 12 volts. So, the USB adapter has to have a voltage regulator to convert the 12V down to 5V. All voltage regulators consume some power.

I am glad this info was posted today. I was just about to install a USB adapter on my bike - hooked directly to the battery (through a fuse). I have now changed my mind - I will only hook it up when needed to avoid this power draw.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #630
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Glad I could help.

I will cut the connection and only reconnect when bike is running. My battery resides under the seat