ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #676
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. Extremely helpful information.I do not really want an orange bike. Just looking for a dirt bike I can take trips on I am ready to get one asap. Just trying to make the best choice and i really want a husaberg.



There's usually nice used ones available if you search around. there's a tricked out FE 450 in the Flea Market right now in Vegas, if you live somewhere you can plate it that could be an option too. Using advanced search option should be easy to find.
Might want to check in the 70 owners thread as there's used bike discussions bouncing around there somewhat often, even rumors of some dealers that still have new 2011 models.
Good luck.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #677
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post

i don't even like lamb chops but they were amazing! then again i didn't like camping either till i met this crew, they are a pile of fun to ride with. tires cost a fortune down under so we do what we can to minimize wear, front tires fitted start at around $100 and head up from there.

if you ever do get over here let me know and we can take you to all our secret squirrel stuff in queensland, then give you the gps files to work your way down through new south wales all on dirt to the amazing high country in victoria. i'd probably wind up going along actually as i haven't done it yet. and at last we'd have some decent photos with you behind the lens...


More fun videos... thanks!

I might be in touch, I toured down there last winter and was all over the country but never had any time to ride... it's not uncommon for me to go back, and next time I'll make sure I can get some time to actually see more than hotel rooms, concert venues and tourist spots. Thanks for the invite!

Cheers
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #678
mikecarpenter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Tulsa, OK
Oddometer: 36
Safari fuel tanks

I just scored some new Safari tanks. Bought 3 and only need one. See ad in FM parts.

Mods, if this is considered cross post, my apologies. Please delete.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #679
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: SJ,CA
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. Extremely helpful information.I do not really want an orange bike. Just looking for a dirt bike I can take trips on I am ready to get one asap. Just trying to make the best choice and i really want a husaberg.
You should see if you can get a test on the fe501 and fe350 2013 series, or the ktm versions. The reviews have been very very good, and they're are slightly lighter bikes. They come with larger fuel tanks already, and the aftermarket has even larger ones yet.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #680
Jonathan75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 54
My local dealer who sells yamaha, husaberg,and ktm said he would not ride any of them over about 60 mph or very far at all on pavement. He said they were not built for that. I was thinking of plating the wr450r and he has a ktm 500 xcw there with street legal kit already on it. But I dont understand why they sell them ready for the street if they arent built for it. I did not see any of the bergs with blinkers and what not already on them. I dont know if this is off topic for this thread or not. I found a 2009 570fe with 159 hrs on it for $4500. Seems like the best bike for what i am looking for. Any opinions on the 09?
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #681
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Any opinions on the 09?
i did a pile of research before buying mine, compiled everyone's advice and put it in this thread. read this for the known issues:
Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods
__________________
free enduro training vids for gumbies here
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #682
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
My local dealer who sells yamaha, husaberg,and ktm said he would not ride any of them over about 60 mph or very far at all on pavement. He said they were not built for that. I was thinking of plating the wr450r and he has a ktm 500 xcw there with street legal kit already on it. But I dont understand why they sell them ready for the street if they arent built for it. I did not see any of the bergs with blinkers and what not already on them. I dont know if this is off topic for this thread or not. I found a 2009 570fe with 159 hrs on it for $4500. Seems like the best bike for what i am looking for. Any opinions on the 09?


First off, your salesman obviously hasn't read this thread and frankly has his head up his ass.
Common for folks to assume something they just don't know about because they wouldn't personally want to ride this bike like a DS bike, or he wants to sell you something he has on the floor instead.

Read what Beta said in his post a while back, he's got the most miles on a Husa I know of. The bike is great on pavement, cruising all day at 70 is not an issue to get to the trails. Of course there's compromises, it's no GS, but I can ride this bike just as far as I did on my 8GS and actually think the motor is smoother on the highway. Packing isn't an issue, but you need to have good small gear and pack lighter than you can on a GS. No wind protection makes it a little harder, but see my posts a page back about long distance travel on it.

As for the 09' FE570, you might want to take those questions over to the owners thread, it's more on topic and there's more people in that thread that might shed light on your questions, granted a lot of the same people but this is a smaller thread, not everyone wants to DS their Husa. A great group of folks just the same.

If you could buy that 09', get it plated where you live and with the money you saved trick it out it would make a great adventure bike. They have different suspension, not closed cartridge, but other than that it's the same bike. I'm not sure if the 09's are 50 state DOT bikes, again check the owners thread.

That post from mikecarpenter about the Safari tanks FS is a steal, I'd be jumping all over that even if I knew I was going to buy a 70, deals like that wont come around again and you'll want a big tank for adventurizing the bike. Shit, if I had more cash I'd buy another so I had a spare, or a rear just incase I wanted to try it out.
Hey Mike, how about $400 worth of LOST decals?

Good luck coming to the Dark Side...



going crazy here being able to just look at mine, can't sleep till the pills kick back in...

Go Husaberg!



It even hauls wood pretty well.

__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #683
Jonathan75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 54
B1 i read your thread about issues earlier tons of great info thanks.

Lost rider, thank you for all the info very helpful. The reason I am spending more time here than the owners thread. This is exactly what I am wanting to do with the bike so i figure who better to ask than people who us it for the purpose i want to. Seems like everything else good. If it aint broke dont fix it. Talking about dropping the 570 for the 501. I would rather buy a new bike , but I think that 09 is calling my name.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #684
mikecarpenter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Tulsa, OK
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
That post from mikecarpenter about the Safari tanks FS is a steal, I'd be jumping all over that even if I knew I was going to buy a 70, deals like that wont come around again and you'll want a big tank for adventurizing the bike. Shit, if I had more cash I'd buy another so I had a spare, or a rear just incase I wanted to try it out.
Hey Mike, how about $400 worth of LOST decals?
Very tempting offer Lost, I do like me some stickies! Think I'll see if I get any better offers first.

mikec
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #685
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Talking about dropping the 570 for the 501. I would rather buy a new bike , but I think that 09 is calling my name.
yes, listen to that still small voice... and to be totally unobjective, here is why the 570 would be way better than the 501... just see if the fuel pump has been replaced with the better ones, that should be the only potential spot of bother on a pre-2011 berg.
__________________
free enduro training vids for gumbies here
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #686
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It even hauls wood pretty well.
Speaking of Beta, and wood ...

__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #687
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Paula, CA
Oddometer: 51
Watch out for splinters
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #688
Jonathan75
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 54
Lost Rider

Well, I think i got lucky my dealer has an 2011 570FE in stock still in the box. I think I am going to pick it up on tuesday. I was hoping you would reassure me the is the dual sport bike I need. You seem to have the most miles on one. I am hoping this will be the one for long pavement trips to get to the fun dirt trips. You and B1 have been answering a ton of my questions. I am 6'5" 260 just curious if you have any more inside information or opinions on a guy my size and this bike for what i am wanting to use it for. I see myself riding it from Missouri to Colorado and back and more trips like that. Thanks.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #689
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: SJ,CA
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Well, I think i got lucky my dealer has an 2011 570FE in stock still in the box. I think I am going to pick it up on tuesday. I was hoping you would reassure me the is the dual sport bike I need. You seem to have the most miles on one. I am hoping this will be the one for long pavement trips to get to the fun dirt trips. You and B1 have been answering a ton of my questions. I am 6'5" 260 just curious if you have any more inside information or opinions on a guy my size and this bike for what i am wanting to use it for. I see myself riding it from Missouri to Colorado and back and more trips like that. Thanks.
You're dealer really shouldn't let you leave the store without throwing in front and rear springs on the bike for your weight.
The stock setup is good for upto 180, maybe. (i'm 155 and it is sprung well for me stock)
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #690
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
I am 6'5" 260 just curious if you have any more inside information or opinions on a guy my size and this bike for what i am wanting to use it for. I see myself riding it from Missouri to Colorado and back and more trips like that. Thanks.
Setting up Husaberg FE570 for tall rider

Budget fuel and luggage options FE570
__________________
free enduro training vids for gumbies here
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014