Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #691
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Well, I think i got lucky my dealer has an 2011 570FE in stock still in the box. I think I am going to pick it up on tuesday. I was hoping you would reassure me the is the dual sport bike I need. You seem to have the most miles on one. I am hoping this will be the one for long pavement trips to get to the fun dirt trips. You and B1 have been answering a ton of my questions. I am 6'5" 260 just curious if you have any more inside information or opinions on a guy my size and this bike for what i am wanting to use it for. I see myself riding it from Missouri to Colorado and back and more trips like that. Thanks.
Just a tad bigger than you. 6'6" 265 lbs. All in all I am happy with this bike. Aggravated about trying to find more fuel capacity right now. Bike really does feel lighter and quicker than its size. It turns sharper and tighter than my 07 crf450r. It is still a dirtbike though. I wouldn't want to ride it long distances on the highway even though Lost manages to do it fine. Make sure that is what you want. A reliable, agile DIRT BIKE that is capable of riding around on the street. I am saving for a bigger bike like the KTM adventure for truly long range exploration. The Berg will remain my <150 mile single track and fire road explorer after I get a 990.

To answer the sizing question. Had the bike resprung for my weight out of the box. I feel that for guys our size this is a must. Have Highway Dirtbike 2 1/2" bar risers, should have went with the 3" ones. Fastway pegs in the low boy position. The bike feels fine other than having a lot of weight on my butt while sitting. The peg to seat ratio is narrower than most dirtbikes. A taller Renazco seat helped some. Try to just stand more and pretend that I am in the Dakar.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #692
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Since I am griping about fuel I figured I would throw this out there for feedback. What. Do y'all think about something like this?

I can carry the two fuel bottles in a giant loop coyote when I go camping but don't always plan on having it on there and would like to free up that space for more gear. This would keep the weight down low but expose the bottles to rocks getting thrown up. Thinking could make a simple skid plate or get one made that would hold the bottles plus a tool kit. Have any of you tired this?

Btw, this is just gorilla taped on for mock up. If I went ahead and attached them then I would use two large hose clamps on each bottle. I would cut a slit in the stock factory skid plate so the clamps go around the frame.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #693
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I have an f800gs that I love and have no intention of getting rid of. I would like to be able to ride the 570 on 1000 mile trips like lost rider does. Thank you both for the tall guy set up info that is really helpful. I do not want to have to haul any bike any where I like to ride them. I know I will have to respect the bikes limits but of the ones i have been loking at and from what i have read from you guys and others this beats any of the other bikes i was looking at by far. For example ktm 500 exc and xcw wr450r and berg 501. I really have wanted a husaberg the whole time.

Just my opinion but mounting those fuel bottles there seems dangerous. I have also been considering ways to carry more fuel.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #694
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,776
as per my link on the previous page, i just strap a 5L jerrycan on the back when needed, takes the range out to about 200 miles max. but the 70 degree bergs already have weight bias to the rear so anything that gets weight forward must be a good thing.

the proper fuel bottles are meant be almost indestructible so i figure the danger isn't getting one holed, plus a spark, and going up in flames. but i can imagine them catching on stuff.

when i only need two extra liters, i have two lawn mower fuel bottles that fit nicely in the tank bag. if you had a very securely mounted tank bag i wonder if you could strap your bottles on the sides somehow?

there's also the acerbis 2.1L handlebar mounted tank but fairly expensive for so little fuel....

if you plan on doing lots of miles (and some of them on bitumen) i'd recommend the cush drive hub. there are a few mangled countershafts on katos and bergs from dual sport riding and the cush hub seems to prevent or at least delay this.
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #695
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
I was in the same position having a 8gs and wanting to go places not safe or not possible to do on the bmw, trucking a bike was never an option and neither was buying something orange and came to the same conclusion about the Husa being the bike for me. I looked for almost a year for the right bike and this is what I picked. Glad I did.

I think what we are doing on the bike speaks for itself, though it's not riding in the limits of the bike like you said, it's riding in the limits of yourself, the bike is good to go, we're the only limiting factor of what can be done on it.

I can't speak on comfort for a guy your sized, I'm 6" shorter and 70 pounds lighter, the bike fits me perfect. Sounds like there's big guys who found how to setup the bike. With your size I'm sure you're used to having to make it work for you as would be needed with just about any bike.

A windscreen of some sorts would probably help with fatigue on long pavement trips, there's options out there.

Speaking of, cyborg, did you ever buy that 690 touring screen?....

Good luck with your choice, I hope we are helping, but don't want to be blamed if it doesn't work out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
a

if you plan on doing lots of miles (and some of them on bitumen) i'd recommend the cush drive hub. there are a few mangled countershafts on katos and bergs from dual sport riding and the cush hub seems to prevent or at least delay this.

YES! A wise investment right from the start, just look at my posts.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 07:52 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #696
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
I can carry the two fuel bottles in a giant loop coyote when I go camping but don't always plan on having it on there and would like to free up that space for more gear. This would keep the weight down low but expose the bottles to rocks getting thrown up. Thinking could make a simple skid plate or get one made that would hold the bottles plus a tool kit. Have any of you tired this?

Btw, this is just gorilla taped on for mock up. If I went ahead and attached them then I would use two large hose clamps on each bottle. I would cut a slit in the stock factory skid plate so the clamps go around the frame.
I entertained the notion of mounting a rotopax in the same neighborhood and chickened out due to the whole gas + exhaust pipe heat equation. Aside from the chance of impressing friends with the size of the fireball, it certainly seems like it'd be a good location...
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #697
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Are you guys aware that the 70d subtanks are in production now, and the select dealers are expecting delivery at the end of this month? Keep your fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong with this run.
You can also order them now off the website.
http://www.70degreeracing.com/services.html
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #698
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Are you guys aware that the 70d subtanks are in production now, and the select dealers are expecting delivery at the end of this month? Keep your fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong with this run.
You can also order them now off the website.
http://www.70degreeracing.com/services.html
Ya, I saw that the other day. Here is hoping that they work out. Kinda hesitant to order one until they start going out. Don't want to wait a year like some folks did on the last run. Was inquiring about the mounted fuel bottles for an upcoming trip and down the road after I get a subframe tank for even more mileage.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #699
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Judging from how little rock impacts I see on my OEM skid plate I think you might do OK with the bottles there, the bottles are pretty tough. For gravel road travels I think they would be just fine. Shit happens so you never know but I considered something similar at one point, in the end carrying a MSR bag clipped to my backpack was and still is my preferred way to carry extra fuel beyond what fits in the bike.

Are these bottle supposed to be used as in emergency or will you depend on them to get to the next fuel stop?
Even with 2x33oz bottles it's not much more than an extra 25 miles in the best of conditions, granted that's a long way to hike, but if you're cutting it that close that you need these bottles I would be giving myself a little more headroom.

I briefly mounted a couple bottles like this using ROK straps, in the end I needed much more range than they can possibly provide and bought the Safari.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #700
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the response Finn.

The fuel bottles would be for an emergency and to add a little mileage when out in the boonies. Do not really plan in using them regularly. Still would like a skid plate that would hold one of the 4-6l bladders. That would be on top of the subframe tank.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #701
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I wonder if 1 gallon rotopax woukd fit in those yellow wolfman tank panniers? One on each side would be approx 8 pounds in each one. Would that be to much weight? You would have 2 extra gallons of fuel, I do not know just thinking out loud.

Also the thing about the cush hub i have read that there is a dampner in the clutch basket on the 2011 570fe so do you still need the cush hub on the rear sprocket? Is that just a precaution or a must for long pavement trips?
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #702
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I wonder if 1 gallon rotopax woukd fit in those yellow wolfman tank panniers? One on each side would be approx 8 pounds in each one. Would that be to much weight? You would have 2 extra gallons of fuel, I do not know just thinking out loud.

Also the thing about the cush hub i have read that there is a dampner in the clutch basket on the 2011 570fe so do you still need the cush hub on the rear sprocket? Is that just a precaution or a must for long pavement trips?
Yep, still need a Cush hub! Just ask Lost above you!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #703
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:

I have not heard this? I know the new KTM's have a cush built into the clutch, that is where I got my cush hub, from someone who switched from a Husaberg to a new KTM, but I have had my clutch apart several times and have not seen anything I would describe as a cush damper. Then again I am not sure I would recognize it if there was something in there
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #704
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I have not heard this? I know the new KTM's have a cush built into the clutch, that is where I got my cush hub, from someone who switched from a Husaberg to a new KTM, but I have had my clutch apart several times and have not seen anything I would describe as a cush damper. Then again I am not sure I would recognize it if there was something in there
Definitely get a cush hub if you are dual sporting a 70 Berg.

While the 2012 KTMs do have some small rubber dampers built into the clutch hub, I would get a cush hub for those as well. The cush hub with the dampened sprocket carrier is just a much more substantial assembly, and even those wear out the rubbers.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #705
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Have you thought about these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Since I am griping about fuel I figured I would throw this out there for feedback. What. Do y'all think about something like this?

I think these hold the same size containers you show above...

....or you could use the larger size and use the larger containers for more capacity...

....at least you wouldn't have to worry about flying rocks creating a fireball!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote