Oddometer: 5,759
Packing the bike will be the hard part.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #722
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Can always come up with something like this, don't know the availability in your neck of the woods, but not terribly difficult to build.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #723
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
hmm, in my mind i could put 2 x 7L bladders on the front shrouds, as a tank pannier type thing, and 2x on top of the coyote..
Maybe the bladders are going to be quite big once filled, ill need to do measurements
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #724
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Are you just running the OEM tank at the moment?

8.5 litres.

You could try those fuel bladder saddle bags like Joe and Sean-0 have had made up, they are supposed to carry the forward mounted bladders very well. 2 x Kriega US-10 bags to carry another bladder each with some room for other light and soft things.

Hard part is getting around no rear subframe on the 70 degree Bergs.

Chase up Lukas.

xronly
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #725
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
FE570S Fuel Mileage Declining

Ok, here is the back story. I purchased the bike new in 2011. The first trip out, my recorded mileage was 56 MPG, not bad, and I love the fuel injection. Approximately one monthe later, I drop the countershaft sprocket one tooth and mileage goes down to 53-45 MPG depending on type of riding, to be expected and I'm ok with that. Now, during the winter, I've noticed my mileage was hovering in the 40-42 MPG range. I put this off to short distance riding back and forth to work with little actual engine temperature being reached. So, here it is, spring and on my first big ride, I'm struggling to achieve 45-46 MPG and the riding was nothing to get worked up about. Something seems amiss, and the tailpipe is showing black soot. My altitude is at around 4500 feet MSL. So, this week, I truck to another location at sea level and run thr bike fairly hard, guess what. 50-51 MPG? What the heck? The engine was idling higher as though the fuel injection was not adjusting properly and the mileage went up too. I think I have a bad sensor or something that is not allowing the fuel to adjust for altitude. Anyone else seen this or have any ideas?
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #726
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Ok, here is the back story. I purchased the bike new in 2011. The first trip out, my recorded mileage was 56 MPG, not bad, and I love the fuel injection. Approximately one monthe later, I drop the countershaft sprocket one tooth and mileage goes down to 53-45 MPG depending on type of riding, to be expected and I'm ok with that. Now, during the winter, I've noticed my mileage was hovering in the 40-42 MPG range. I put this off to short distance riding back and forth to work with little actual engine temperature being reached. So, here it is, spring and on my first big ride, I'm struggling to achieve 45-46 MPG and the riding was nothing to get worked up about. Something seems amiss, and the tailpipe is showing black soot. My altitude is at around 4500 feet MSL. So, this week, I truck to another location at sea level and run thr bike fairly hard, guess what. 50-51 MPG? What the heck? The engine was idling higher as though the fuel injection was not adjusting properly and the mileage went up too. I think I have a bad sensor or something that is not allowing the fuel to adjust for altitude. Anyone else seen this or have any ideas?
The Husa can adjust to altitude if you turn on the ign but don't start it. Let sit for 5 mins, turn off, then start again.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #727
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
The Husa can adjust to altitude if you turn on the ign but don't start it. Let sit for 5 mins, turn off, then start again.
Is that in the manual somewhere? I've not heard that before...
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #728
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Is that in the manual somewhere? I've not heard that before...
I remembered incorrectly. You have to run/idle the bike for 5mins to reset. And it is not in the manual.

http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewto...p?f=20&t=13687

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/pr..._your_new_ktm/
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #729
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Hard part is getting around no rear subframe on the 70 degree Bergs.
I think the plastic subframe should be fine, Barton had no problems with his luggage load, and there are surely enough overweight riders out there that have put theirs to the test on MX tracks etc!

However I'm not sure how you'd fit 28 liters of fuel and 10 liters of water in addition to food, spares, tools, camping gear, first aid kit, personal gear, etc on a Berg and still be able to fit on the thing, and have it handle at least acceptably.

IMO I would go for the 70 subframe and the Safari front tanks, then strap on a GL Coyote with dry bag behind it, Wolfman tank panniers (like Lost had at the beginning of this thread), and ideally a Scheffelmeier bash plate to place heavy tools and spares down low.

Even like that you'll probably have to carry some stuff in a backpack. That's a shitload of gear and fluids to carry...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #730
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
from personal experience i'd suggest trying to get the load distributed evenly as the bergs are rear biased with their weight. i've pared back all my camping, food, clothing etc to a minimum so i'm only strapping 20kg or 44lb on the rear of the bike and about 2kg in the tank bag and it handles pretty strange... i can live with it but i can see why someone might be tempted to put an esky or icebox on the front.

apart from that this guy has done some cool mods, click on the pic to read more. i'd say if his plastic subframe hasn't broken then it must be strong enough.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #731
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
I remembered incorrectly. You have to run/idle the bike for 5mins to reset. And it is not in the manual.

http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewto...p?f=20&t=13687

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/pr..._your_new_ktm/
Thanks. I've never done this, but next time I head up to Tahoe, maybe I should before I start riding.

Mind you, at my level of riding the difference it'll make is probably not noticeable.

BTW, speaking of Tahoe, I plan on riding the RR200 out of Reno this Sept. Anyone else?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #732
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I think the plastic subframe should be fine, Barton had no problems with his luggage load, and there are surely enough overweight riders out there that have put theirs to the test on MX tracks etc!

However I'm not sure how you'd fit 28 liters of fuel and 10 liters of water in addition to food, spares, tools, camping gear, first aid kit, personal gear, etc on a Berg and still be able to fit on the thing, and have it handle at least acceptably.

IMO I would go for the 70 subframe and the Safari front tanks, then strap on a GL Coyote with dry bag behind it, Wolfman tank panniers (like Lost had at the beginning of this thread), and ideally a Scheffelmeier bash plate to place heavy tools and spares down low.

Even like that you'll probably have to carry some stuff in a backpack. That's a shitload of gear and fluids to carry...
Yeah, what I meant was the lack of space and of places to tie anything down to due to to no fame tubing etc or rear rack able to be fitted. I use the 70 Degree tank and Kriega bags and Deuter back pack to carry my gear.

xronly
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #733
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

Somewhere, on here, I posted a set of pictures on here that I used to support my rear fender so it would quit flapping up and down and carry more weight. The supports were pretty easy to build, light weight, and they have worked extremely well. I don't know how hard you ride with the load on the bike, but I sucked my license plate into the rear wheel once before making the supports. Now, no problemo and I run a full set of Wolfman luggage including the top bag, two Maxpedition bags tthat hold two liter bottles of fuel, a sleeeping bag, and a sleeping pad. All in all, no problems due to weight. I often ride the bike on multi day rides, and am planning a 3000 mile ride this summer. I think you need to support the rear, or you will end up being broken if you ride hard or over rough country.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #734
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Somewhere, on here, I posted a set of pictures on here that I used to support my rear fender so it would quit flapping up and down and carry more weight. The supports were pretty easy to build, light weight, and they have worked extremely well. I don't know how hard you ride with the load on the bike, but I sucked my license plate into the rear wheel once before making the supports. Now, no problemo and I run a full set of Wolfman luggage including the top bag, two Maxpedition bags tthat hold two liter bottles of fuel, a sleeeping bag, and a sleeping pad. All in all, no problems due to weight. I often ride the bike on multi day rides, and am planning a 3000 mile ride this summer. I think you need to support the rear, or you will end up being broken if you ride hard or over rough country.
The stock Euro / OZ subfender solves that problem nicely and gives the whole tail some rigidity as well. I have a big ass Austrian license plate (riveted to 2mm aluminum so it doesn't vibrate or break off) on there, and it doesn't flop at all (as far as I can tell). Survived many days of racing, high speed riding and jumps on the MX track without problems.

If you get the PW Garfield kit it will come with a LED brake light (DOT and E approved) that even includes a white plate light, which is required to be legal in many countries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husaberg-FE-...-/200798672735

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #735
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Thanks. I've never done this, but next time I head up to Tahoe, maybe I should before I start riding.

Mind you, at my level of riding the difference it'll make is probably not noticeable.

BTW, speaking of Tahoe, I plan on riding the RR200 out of Reno this Sept. Anyone else?
Humm. I've never done that and I regularly ride up to 8k feet in the Sierra's. Might have to try that sometime.

Already signed up for the RR200 myself. last year I only rode Saturday but this year I plan on doing both days on my 570s. Good times!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one)
05 Honda 650L
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote