Oddometer: 367
Let me know what you all think!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889506
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #767
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 769
Nothing particularly useful to add, other than a gratuitous picture of my bike at Toroweap campground at the Grand Canyon, near the start of a 5 day ride last week .

ADV stuff and notes:
  • I really like the utility of the tank panniers. I used these for storage of fuel bladders and tools in each. I could fit a total of about 2.5 gallons split between 2 x MSR bladders, giving me about 180-200 miles of range. Knees were cramped but not an issue when sitting (cruising) and zero issue in any technical stuff (always standing). Most importantly, the weight on the front really balanced out the weight on the rear and signficantly improved the handling of the bike. Most most importantly, I'm not into Safari for 7+ bills.
  • First ride with a small tankbag on a dirtbike. I liked it, as a place to store accessible stuff. I prefer to ride with as little weight on my body as possible, especially shoulders.
  • SAE plug + SAE cigarrette lighter adapter for daily charging of iPhone, radio, and Sena bluetook. No associated starting issues in the morning with a Shorai battery.
  • Light is Right. I was loaded up pretty light and can easily take another 5-8lb off my setup.
  • Giant Loop is overrated, IMO. This is my second 5+ day trip with these bags and they are about worthless for working out of them during the day's ride. Next time I'll go with the Mojave for tools, and bike stuff, plus Wolfman medium expedition duffel for a camping trip or enduro duffle for hotel trip.

I turned 6k miles on the trip and the bike just fookin' works! Couldn't be happier and I wouldn't think twice to take this setup through anything and everything that I would do unloaded.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #768
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Nice picture TWG

That trials tire on the back looks huge! Also looks like a tight fit eh? Which model tire is that?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #769
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
I ran a Pirelli MT43 all year last year with no issues... 13/50 and the chain adjustment pretty much maxed out.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #770
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Nice picture TWG

That trials tire on the back looks huge! Also looks like a tight fit eh? Which model tire is that?
I've been running the MT43 on all of my bikes for years. It fits, no problem, though I should have left a link or two in the chain so I'd be farther out on the adjustment. As is, I should probably replace the rubber flapper dealio
Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #771
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
I've been running the MT43 on all of my bikes for years. It fits, no problem, though I should have left a link or two in the chain so I'd be farther out on the adjustment. As is, I should probably replace the rubber flapper dealio
What is the mileage you get out of an MT43?
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #772
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Also what are the MT43 like at highway speeds and in the wet on pavement i.e. dual sporting? Thanks.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #773
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Also what are the MT43 like at highway speeds and in the wet on pavement i.e. dual sporting? Thanks.
I've been running an MT-43 on the rear for about 6 months. I guess I've got about 5 or 600 or so miles on it right now - some asphalt, mostly hard-dirt trails and dusty/sandy trails (and a little bit of mud/slick). Maybe more miles, not exactly sure as I really don't keep good track. It certainly does wear well though. The best thing - it just works. For an [aspiring] intermediate rider like myself, I think it's a great tire. Most knobbies I've had on a bike with this much torque are gone pretty quick.

I have the matching MT21 on the front - which I don't recommend. I don't like the way if feels on the trail - it seems ok on the pavement. I'm waiting for that to wear down a little more so I don't feel so bad about throwing it away.

The nice thing about the '43 is that it's street legal - one less thing to worry about if a coppa pulls me over
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #774
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
(caveat) running one on an RFS- BUT i'm in the same basic locale,

(pavement, wet or dry) it's a little weird at first, it grips really well straight ahead, but you do notice at a deep lean angle that you're on the "edge" of the tire, a little too much throttle and it steps out. think car tire? not too bad, but if you're railing the twisties you'll notice it's *grip* *grip* *grip* *slide*

seems to hold up pretty well though. def different than a knobby
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #775
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Mileage: I could probably get 2500mi out of the tire, though I change it more often because I like to have fresh tires for big and/or "important" rides. I did a similar UT trip in October, 1500 miles, and probably had ~700 miles left on the tire when I finished.

Pavement: I suppose it rides and corners like most knobbies, which is to say that when I transition from dirt to pavement I'm in transportation mode. This is a dirt bike, not a sport bike. I slow down, chill, and don't get all supermoto with the bike. So I probably don't come close to the step out scenario that another poster described.

Wet pavement: I'm in SoCal, do a lot of desert and mountain riding so I have no experience with the tire on wet pavement.

Mud and snow: it sucks, as the knobbies don't clear themselves.

Trials front: very little side tread coverage of the knobbies so it will push in the corners in deep sand. I don't run a trials front, choosing a Scorpion AT instead.

Loose, rocky downhills: the rear will slide but I'm very used to it. Not an issue for me.

You can run it it with crazy low PSI and the tire spreads out length-wise. Think tank tread. As such, when getting started from a stop on a very steep and loose climb the tire just tractors up. It doesn't trench like a traditional tire.

That said, the tire won't get loose much in dirt corners so if you like to flat track stuff the tire may not suit your preferred style.

As another poster said, the tire just works. Many, many DS riders in SoCal are riding with a trials rear. We have a wide variety of terrain out here -- loose, rocky climbs, rock steps, deep sandwashes of varying degrees of traction that go for miles and miles, potentially long stretches of pavement -- the MT43 just works on all of it, in my opinion.

Rich
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #776
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Mileage: I could probably get 2500mi out of the tire, though I change it more often because I like to have fresh tires for big and/or "important" rides. I did a similar UT trip in October, 1500 miles, and probably had ~700 miles left on the tire when I finished.

Pavement: I suppose it rides and corners like most knobbies, which is to say that when I transition from dirt to pavement I'm in transportation mode. This is a dirt bike, not a sport bike. I slow down, chill, and don't get all supermoto with the bike. So I probably don't come close to the step out scenario that another poster described.

Wet pavement: I'm in SoCal, do a lot of desert and mountain riding so I have no experience with the tire on wet pavement.

Mud and snow: it sucks, as the knobbies don't clear themselves.

Trials front: very little side tread coverage of the knobbies so it will push in the corners in deep sand. I don't run a trials front, choosing a Scorpion AT instead.

Loose, rocky downhills: the rear will slide but I'm very used to it. Not an issue for me.

You can run it it with crazy low PSI and the tire spreads out length-wise. Think tank tread. As such, when getting started from a stop on a very steep and loose climb the tire just tractors up. It doesn't trench like a traditional tire.

That said, the tire won't get loose much in dirt corners so if you like to flat track stuff the tire may not suit your preferred style.

As another poster said, the tire just works. Many, many DS riders in SoCal are riding with a trials rear. We have a wide variety of terrain out here -- loose, rocky climbs, rock steps, deep sandwashes of varying degrees of traction that go for miles and miles, potentially long stretches of pavement -- the MT43 just works on all of it, in my opinion.

Rich
Thanks for the reply, good info.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #777
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Hey fellas,
Any idea what causes hot start problems on the berg? She starts instantly when cold, but warm it pops and i can smell fuel, takes a few tries.
it has an akrapovic full system, not sure if its been remapped.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #778
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Hey fellas,
Any idea what causes hot start problems on the berg? She starts instantly when cold, but warm it pops and i can smell fuel, takes a few tries.
If you try to start it immediately after you shut it off warm does it restart easily?

I heard of a dirty injector that was holding open and would flood the cylinder making it hard to start. If cold it had dissipated and if started immediately it did not have time to flood.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #779
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Hey fellas,

I had an experience like this where I had had a long bit of hard going on a hot day, got to the top of a fairly long climb to see my riding mate had stopped and was having a flop in the shade of a tree at the top, so I did likewise... After my 2012 570 FE would not start until I had flattened the battery...

My "fix" was upgrading the battery to a Shorai 14ah lithium, which cranks faster and lasts longer -- but I believe the issue I had was partially the heat and boiling fuel / a bubble, and the way I tried to start it (too long cranking, and had it in gear with the clutch pulled in which drags) making the starter hot and thus draw more juice in combination with a weak battery... so the boosted battery has been great but I've also learned not to start in gear (well, now I can with the Shorai) and not to kill it at the top of a long overheat hill climb.

Depending on the year you have you might have a dodgy fuel pump but you probably already knew that...
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #780
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

My fuel boiling issues were solved by ceramic coating pipe, lining under side of tank, and removing check ball in fuel cap. Or one of the three as I did it all at the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong but the heat from the pipe boils the fuel, puts too much pressure on the check ball and vapor locks the engine. I addressed the issue with the three above. You could usually hear the fueling bubbling in the tank after shutting the engine off before the mods.

Fuel pump issues kinda follow the same path. Heat makes the pump seize up and not pump. Usually works after waiting a bit after letting it cool. Difference is that you may not hear the fuel boiling and while the pump is seized you will not hear the "whirrrr" of the fuel pump when you turn the ignition. If you stop, turn engine off, have a problem starting then listen for the whirrrr. If you don't hear it then wait a while for it to cool and you can hear it. If not then you are just wasting your time and battery!