User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #781
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Lining....

What did you use to line the underside of the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
My fuel boiling issues were solved by ceramic coating pipe, lining under side of tank, and removing check ball in fuel cap. Or one of the three as I did it all at the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong but the heat from the pipe boils the fuel, puts too much pressure on the check ball and vapor locks the engine. I addressed the issue with the three above. You could usually hear the fueling bubbling in the tank after shutting the engine off before the mods.

Fuel pump issues kinda follow the same path. Heat makes the pump seize up and not pump. Usually works after waiting a bit after letting it cool. Difference is that you may not hear the fuel boiling and while the pump is seized you will not hear the "whirrrr" of the fuel pump when you turn the ignition. If you stop, turn engine off, have a problem starting then listen for the whirrrr. If you don't hear it then wait a while for it to cool and you can hear it. If not then you are just wasting your time and battery!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #782
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
I used the CV4 blanket... removed the check valve ball in the gas cap and put an aftermarket exhaust on, to "open" up the system a bit and theoretically keep everything cooler. I dont think it is necessary to do "all" of the mods, i.e. coating, blanket, exhaust,,,, I think one is enough. Some folks have also used sticky backed heat tape.. when my blanket wears out.. which I think it will eventually, I replace it with tape.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/07010521.html

Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #783
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I removed the restriction in the exhaust end cap and got rid of the ball bearing in the cap. I've never had an instance of boiling fuel. I tried the CV4 blanket, but couldn't get it to stick and hold to the tank. It also hung loose all over the place, and all I could see was a giant dust catcher, so I took it off.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #784
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Definitely remove the checkball in the fuel cap to help with not boiling the fuel.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #785
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,061
I've had so much pressure build up in my tank that when I went to fuel up the cap blew out of my hand as I loosened it and boiling fuel went all over me. I removed the check valve from the vent tube on my gas cap but not the ball in the cap. Should I remove the one in the cap instead? Is the one on the vent tube ok to use? Or should I run with no check valves at all? I don't want to loose what little fuel it carries.

1997 DR350SE
2010 Husaberg FE450 (plated)
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #786
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigue_262000 View Post
I've had so much pressure build up in my tank that when I went to fuel up the cap blew out of my hand as I loosened it and boiling fuel went all over me. I removed the check valve from the vent tube on my gas cap but not the ball in the cap. Should I remove the one in the cap instead? Is the one on the vent tube ok to use? Or should I run with no check valves at all? I don't want to loose what little fuel it carries.
I didn't see/remove the one in the line. I removed the one in the cap.

Some guys run a clear tube, with a loop at the top, so that they can see fuel trying to vent, but it shouldn't spill because of the loop.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #787
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
I didn't see/remove the one in the line. I removed the one in the cap.

Some guys run a clear tube, with a loop at the top, so that they can see fuel trying to vent, but it shouldn't spill because of the loop.
I put a small fuel in-line (sorry for the crap photo):

I can easily see the fuel boil, yet it never drips out the tube. I was lucky enough (not) to test this in 100+ heat, lots of boiling seen in the filter, but never droped a bit on the ground. Maybe this is acting as an expansion chamber - allows the air to vent without pushing the fuel out in the process.

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #788
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
I put a small fuel in-line (sorry for the crap photo):

I can easily see the fuel boil, yet it never drips out the tube. I was lucky enough (not) to test this in 100+ heat, lots of boiling seen in the filter, but never droped a bit on the ground. Maybe this is acting as an expansion chamber - allows the air to vent without pushing the fuel out in the process.

pinevalley
Looks like a good idea but what is the tee in the vent line for?
And where does the line going up from the filter go?

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #789
pinevalley
Adventurer

Good Question...

The vent line closest to the Scotts damper comes from the leaky rear sub-frame tank. The vent line farthest from the Scotts damper comes from the tank cap (check ball removed). Both 'T' into the overflow line, that has the filter. I ran the over flow line along the throttle cables and have it exit at the bottom of the radiator.

pinevalley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Looks like a good idea but what is the tee in the vent line for?
And where does the line going up from the filter go?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #790
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
Pinevalley
I've got a question about your kriega set-up.

On the right side of the bike the kriega OL-30 straps wrap around the frame and sit only about 1/4" away from the exhaust. Has the heat affected the strap on your bike? I feel like it will surely melt sitting that close to the exhaust.

And does your bike have a stock exhaust? I couldnt tell in the pictures
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #791
pinevalley
Adventurer

Stock exhaust. No issues with melting straps so close to the exhaust - yes I was worried too! I had a GL bag previously mounted in the same location, no issues there as well.

I'm working through a different mounting method and will post up if I succeed.

pinevalley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
Pinevalley
I've got a question about your kriega set-up.

On the right side of the bike the kriega OL-30 straps wrap around the frame and sit only about 1/4" away from the exhaust. Has the heat affected the strap on your bike? I feel like it will surely melt sitting that close to the exhaust.

And does your bike have a stock exhaust? I couldnt tell in the pictures
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #792
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

I mounted the tank today, it went very well. The final figure that it holds is 2.0 gallons. I filled it and went for a 27 mile ride. I had prepared by leaving the main tank low so I could see if it was transfering fuel as I had intended. When I returned home, I dipped the tank and it had approximately 1 inch of fuel in the bottom, and the rest had transfered up to the main tank.

Also, I realized that when I'm riding, I don't even realize the tank is there. I'm pretty happy with my invention from tank to pump. I'll post pics in a day or two.

Brian011952 screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 08:36 PM
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #793
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
I mounted the tank today, it went very well. The final figure that it holds is 2.0 gallons. I filled it and went for a 27 mile ride. I had prepared by leaving the main tank low so I could see if it was transfering fuel as I had intended. When I returned home, I dipped the tank and it had approximately 1 inch of fuel in the bottom, and the rest had transfered up to the main tank.

Also, I realized that when I'm riding, I don't even realize the tank is there. I'm pretty happy with my invention from tank to pump. I'll post pics in a day or two.
Great job! To heck with the pics, sell me a set of working plans.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #794
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecarpenter View Post
Great job! To heck with the pics, sell me a set of working plans.
I still have my cardboard patterns and I'll post photos. That's about all I can offer, I'm not a qualified drawer of plans.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #795
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post

what tank?