mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #797
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecarpenter View Post

OK
I have a Force Bash plate that has a huge tank along with a Toolbox.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #798
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
OK
looks like a really good idea for more adventure type rides, not so much the singletrack around home. I read it was easy to remove for trail duty. With options being so limited for me, something to look closer at. You should have an extra 10 liters of capacity by this time next week!
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #799
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
OK
Congratulations on your purchase.
How are you getting fuel out of the Force tank into the bike?

Good job Brian, it's in the ADV spirit to build your own items coming up with solutions to make what works for you. Part of the fun.
Do you have any kind of disconnects to isolate the fuel tanks in case of puncture or crash?
Looking forward to more details about your tank, it's always neat to see what folks are coming up with for Adventure Traveling on the Husaberg.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #800
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Tank

Well, here is a photo of the finished and installed product. I'll try to post a few more when I can get Photobucket to upload them.

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=0

Notice the LOST sticker, well having 2.0 gallons more is going to help with that goal.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #801
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Congratulations on your purchase.
How are you getting fuel out of the Force tank into the bike?

Good job Brian, it's in the ADV spirit to build your own items coming up with solutions to make what works for you. Part of the fun.
Do you have any kind of disconnects to isolate the fuel tanks in case of puncture or crash?
Looking forward to more details about your tank, it's always neat to see what folks are coming up with for Adventure Traveling on the Husaberg.
To isolate the tank, I have to pull one fuel line off and plug that line. That line is the transfer line that goes into the top of my 70 degree tank, so even if I didn't plug it, it would become nothing more than a second vent line at that point. But, seeing as how the tank is made from aluminum, JB Weld would re seal it in an emergency and once I returned to civilization, the tank can be drained, flushed with acid, and welded to repair it.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 AM   #802
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Fuel Pump

Here is a photo of the fuel pump and its mount

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/br...tml?sort=3&o=2

and another.

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/br...06615371029298

The pump works completely off of engine vacuum and transfered all but the last inch out of the tank in 27 miles. It might have transfered quicker than that, but that was my first stop to check the level and see if everything was working as planned. It was, and I'm happy.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #803
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Hope you dont mind me posting the pics.. if you do I will nuke the post... I think you could sell a few of these.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #804
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Too much work and not enough time to start a business with these right now. Hopefully, if people like them, they will build one. I answer questions on plumbing and where I bought items, or how I designed the fuel pickup though.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #805
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

BTW, thanks for getting the photos to show up. I appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #806
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
OK
Got any pictures of that?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #807
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride report with the new tank

Well, I thought I'd comment on the feel with the new tank. When it is full, it definately moves the bikes center of gravity forward. Wheelies take a bit more work with the tank full. Because of the weight moving forward, it feels a little like the front tire is weighted more, like I'll have to be just a bit more careful about the front trying to wash out in the loose stuff.

Now here is the caveat, I haven't loaded the bike and headed out with my gear on board yet. These observations are just with the bike empty. Well, I really designed the tank for my long distance trips when the bike is full of gear. I've experienced that this bike is a bit light in front (showing a definite rear weight bias) when I'm packing all my gear for long multi-day excursions into the back country. Since I can feel the tank/fuel weight transfer to the front when the bike is empty, I believe the tank when full will balance the bike nicely when it is loaded.

Truthfully, I don't usually need the extra fuel on short day trips when I'm close to civilization, so the option of leaving the tank empty is always an option for the short rides or rides where fuel is available. What I do know is that other than holding the front wheel down a bit more, the tank isn't noticeable when full from a tip in aspect; unlike say, two gallons loaded up high.

So, I have accomplished exactly what I set out to do, and I like the results very much. Yes, it changed things a bit, but not in a bad way and I can actually remove this whole tank set up by removing five bolts, plugging one new vent on my 70 Degree tank, and plugging the vacuum port on my carb. I'd say install and removal time is less than five minutes total if I don't need it or want it on the bike for a ride.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #808
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Well, I thought I'd comment on the feel with the new tank. When it is full, it definately moves the bikes center of gravity forward. Wheelies take a bit more work with the tank full. Because of the weight moving forward, it feels a little like the front tire is weighted more, like I'll have to be just a bit more careful about the front trying to wash out in the loose stuff.

Now here is the caveat, I haven't loaded the bike and headed out with my gear on board yet. These observations are just with the bike empty. Well, I really designed the tank for my long distance trips when the bike is full of gear. I've experienced that this bike is a bit light in front (showing a definite rear weight bias) when I'm packing all my gear for long multi-day excursions into the back country. Since I can feel the tank/fuel weight transfer to the front when the bike is empty, I believe the tank when full will balance the bike nicely when it is loaded.

Truthfully, I don't usually need the extra fuel on short day trips when I'm close to civilization, so the option of leaving the tank empty is always an option for the short rides or rides where fuel is available. What I do know is that other than holding the front wheel down a bit more, the tank isn't noticeable when full from a tip in aspect; unlike say, two gallons loaded up high.

So, I have accomplished exactly what I set out to do, and I like the results very much. Yes, it changed things a bit, but not in a bad way and I can actually remove this whole tank set up by removing five bolts, plugging one new vent on my 70 Degree tank, and plugging the vacuum port on my carb. I'd say install and removal time is less than five minutes total if I don't need it or want it on the bike for a ride.
That's really cool to conceive the tank and complete it. Awesome job.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #809
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Sounds like a great design Brian! I agree with the rear biased loaded up thing. This should balance the bike out nicely now. So now you have a total capacity of around 5.2 gallons?

Good luck getting that CARB vent closed up! ;). Lol.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #810
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Sounds like a great design Brian! I agree with the rear biased loaded up thing. This should balance the bike out nicely now. So now you have a total capacity of around 5.2 gallons?

Good luck getting that CARB vent closed up! ;). Lol.
CARB? Whatchu talkin bout? LOL. Thank God I don't. have to pass smog. Yep, capacity is now just above 5 gallons total.