Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #811
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Well, I thought I'd comment on the feel with the new tank. When it is full, it definately moves the bikes center of gravity forward. Wheelies take a bit more work with the tank full. Because of the weight moving forward, it feels a little like the front tire is weighted more, like I'll have to be just a bit more careful about the front trying to wash out in the loose stuff.
actually having the weight up front should mean less chance of the front washing out. the 70 degree bergs do tend to wash out up front due to the rear weight bias... i try do keep my genitals on the fuel cap on corners to minimize it (and it is quite stimulating ). let us know how it goes, but it should be more planted in corners with the big tank and some fuel up front methinks....
Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #812
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Fork Seals

It appears I'm going to be raplacing the fork seals, no this didn't happen because of the tank, it started the weekend before I put the new tank on the bike. Anybody out there who has done this job on the FE570S before have any comments? I've done probably a hundred seal replacements in my lifetime, but is there any little funky tricks I will run into with the Husaberg forks?
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #813
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
It appears I'm going to be raplacing the fork seals, no this didn't happen because of the tank, it started the weekend before I put the new tank on the bike. Anybody out there who has done this job on the FE570S before have any comments? I've done probably a hundred seal replacements in my lifetime, but is there any little funky tricks I will run into with the Husaberg forks?
Check out the Slaven's Racing website. They have a bunch of helpful videos on various servicing aspects and I'm sure I recall one for the same type of forks on the 'bergs.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #814
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Check out the Slaven's Racing website. They have a bunch of helpful videos on various servicing aspects and I'm sure I recall one for the same type of forks on the 'bergs.
Thank you! That is an excellent site wwith great videos.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #815
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
This is same as any other cartridge fork. loosen the top clamp, then loosen the fork caps (50mm?), and then drop the forks.
Look at how much fluid you want to run in each leg (~350-375mL). Maxima makes good fluid that is available everywhere. If you need SKF seals, there's a couple sellers on ebay. (Dave from Smart Performance sells them on ebay).
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #816
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I'm good on the Fork Seals. I reviewed the Slavens Racing videos, and they were great. i ordered my supplies and tools from Slavens this morning just to support them for putting those videos out there. Thanks for the quick and good responses.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #817
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
I think I'm good on the Fork Seals. I reviewed the Slavens Racing videos, and they were great. i ordered my supplies and tools from Slavens this morning just to support them for putting those videos out there. Thanks for the quick and good responses.
Are you sure the seals need to be replaced? KTM's WP forks have very good factory seals that often can be cleaned to remove a piece of grit or sand that's causing the leak. A 35mm film negative works great or Seal Savers is selling a tool to clean them. Just work it in between the fork leg and seal then run it around the entire leg.

Worth a try.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #818
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecarpenter View Post
Are you sure the seals need to be replaced? KTM's WP forks have very good factory seals that often can be cleaned to remove a piece of grit or sand that's causing the leak. A 35mm film negative works great or Seal Savers is selling a tool to clean them. Just work it in between the fork leg and seal then run it around the entire leg.

Worth a try.
I have enough miles on the bike that I want to change the fork oil anyway and putting in new oil with questionable seals wouldn't do.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #819
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Not sure which parts you ended up getting, but next time the KTM R1420 kit is very good value at $80 online. It includes everything you need to service the closed cartridge forks including low friction SKF seals and SXS bushings.

While you are in there anyway this is very little extra work.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #820
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Not sure which parts you ended up getting, but next time the KTM R1420 kit is very good value at $80 online. It includes everything you need to service the closed cartridge forks including low friction SKF seals and SXS bushings.

While you are in there anyway this is very little extra work.
Thanks, I got the SKF seals and bushings. I bought the oil and tools to, but I bought them from Slavens Racing to support the videos they have put on line. The videos are quite helpful and well done, so I wanted to show some support to a business that is going the extra mile for customers. I didn't even shop around this time, I just watched the videos and made up my mind that I liked that type of customer service and called them up. Guess what, they had everything in stock and shipped it the same day.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #821
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, I got the SKF seals and bushings. I bought the oil and tools to, but I bought them from Slavens Racing to support the videos they have put on line. The videos are quite helpful and well done, so I wanted to show some support to a business that is going the extra mile for customers. I didn't even shop around this time, I just watched the videos and made up my mind that I liked that type of customer service and called them up. Guess what, they had everything in stock and shipped it the same day.
Jeff is actually among the best in the biz, and his prices are very low. Seems like a no nonsense kinda guy.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #822
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Yeah his videos are definitely good and helpful! Didn't he just stop doing suspension though?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #823
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Yeah his videos are definitely good and helpful! Didn't he just stop doing suspension though?
I thought he stopped taking new orders because the backlog was like 5 months for sus work.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #824
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
what I read was that he was retiring from doing any hands on suspension work and moving to online sales.. hence all the great videos showing his techniques.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #825
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
I just listed a 450 for sale in the FM