Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #856
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Nice setup Pinevalley!

How does the rear Safari tank work together with luggage strapped on the rear fender? And how did you route the fuel line connection to the front? There were several people at the Tuareg Rally this year that had problems with fuel lines getting ripped out as they were not able to secure them safely out of the way.
Lukas, Hope this answers some of your questions (and hopefully Im not adding too much fluff):

First attachment of the Kriega Overlander 30:

The front strap is wrapped around the front of the rear tank (I copied this from Lost Rider who wraps his around the rear plastic).

For the rear of the bike I used the standard Kriega mounting loops. Due to the increased girth I needed to add some length to the strap. I ended up utilizing a quickdraw - length ended up being spot on (dumb luck).

The added girth of the tank has afforded some restate to tuck my tarp poles in this nook:

In addition, I found these cool little bags from Ortlieb (http://www.ortliebusa.com/prodInfo.asp?pid=76&cid=2):

I was able to bolt them onto the frame of the RMK.

Im using these to store what would normally be stashed in a tank bag.

One other nifty pouch I found very useful is a mountain bike feed bag (available from cyclosource, http://www.adventurecycling.org/cycl...in-feed-bag/):

I stuff all my day food in there and munch as often as I can.

Before I got the mega tanks I was trying to find a solution to carry extra fuel. I got these MSR bottle holders from Storm Industries (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221). Now Im stuffing my spare tube and tire irons in there.

Using the straps and loops like this to hold the Kriega US-5:

Hoping to shove a tool tube here:

And of course...Im slow to put on the best addition to the bike...

If you are not lost, you cant find yourself...

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #857
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Nice setup Pinevalley!

...And how did you route the fuel line connection to the front? There were several people at the Tuareg Rally this year that had problems with fuel lines getting ripped out as they were not able to secure them safely out of the way...
Oknow for the fuel line routing:

Front left side:

T-fitting from right side is barely visible. I added some silicone coated fiberglass insulation (Mcmaster Carr 6172T13) around the fuel line where it routes near the exhaust. You can barely make this out in the photo (orange).

Front right side (crap photo):

I deviated from the Safari instructions here and ran the fuel line along the frame; between the motor and the bash plate.

Rear right side:

Per the Safari instructions this line is now to be routed and zip tied to the rear shock guard (sorry no photo). I find this to not be working well. Eventually the fuel line migrates into the path of the rear spring. This could be due to a couple of issues I created: thicker section of tubing I created with the insulation, Im strapping both the rear right side and the stock tank feed to this attachment point and cannot get a good purchase on the tubes with this zip tie, my section of tubing is too long and it is forcing it to pooch out into the spring either way this needs to be fixed.

Rear left side sorry no photo, but installed as suggested by safari.

I ended up routing all the supply lines from the Safari tanks and the main tank feed line to a manifold.

Eventually the intent is to add quick disconnects (McMaster Carr) once I find a routing solution Im happy with.

For re-routing the rear left side I might play around with running the line from the tank to the frame, down the frame where the rear master resides and to the manifold. It would be away from the rear shock, but quite close to the exhaust. I had previously run the straps from my luggage in that location and had not issues with melting. One way to find out

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #858
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I am in the process of getting my Berg and my son's DR-Z400E ready for some adventure rides. While not a multi-day ride, a few weeks ago my daughter and I did a scenic 125 mile ride through some of the local canyons near Salt Lake City. The ride included about 25-30 of dirt road and about 2 miles of narrow single track. The scariest part was the 9 miles of freeway.

Even though the DRZ is pretty large and heavy for my daughter, she did really well. We would have even ridden more single track if we had more time.

Anyway, I posted a trip report with a video and photos on my family blog:

http://gardinerfamilyadventures.word...ide-june-2013/
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #859
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
always beautiful until you are replacing your 3rd muffler....

I have received my 3 liter bash plate from Force....it needs a small modification as it was modeled on a 450 not a 570 and the filler neck is hitting a radiator hose....simple fix via a welder...will have back in a week...The plate is a stunning piece of work and will hold just a liter less than the subframe tank while keeping the weight very low.....

BTW a 2 liter Dromedary bag fits perfectly in a Kriega US5 bag....then mounted on the rear fender...that half gallon is my solution for now.....
Any links to your bash plate or photos of it on your bike ? It sounds exactly what I'm looking for my FE 390
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #860
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
When I finish mine, I'll put the pattern on a single sheet of paper for a 36x36 sheet of aluminum and make it available. I'll make a reccommendation also on which aluminum to use since there are large differences in aluminum, some bends, some breaks, some can be welded, and some can't. I'll also give a link to where I found a custom aluminum filler neck and aluminum 3/8th in NPT bungs that come ready to be welded onto the tank. When I'm done, I'll post a few pics and make the pattern and info available.

I would love you to make this info available to us all here. Your tank really is the business. I plan to make a skid plate tank to carry water.
Well done !
Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #861
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro View Post
I would love you to make this info available to us all here. Your tank really is the business. I plan to make a skid plate tank to carry water.
Well done !
KTMinduro - An off topic query if I may. I enjoyed your crossing of Borneo with the 4X4 club on your bikes years ago, epic reading. Regarding water is there a reason why a water filter is not utilized to filter from the many murky streams? Or is the skid plate in addition to a filter?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #862
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
KTMinduro - An off topic query if I may. I enjoyed your crossing of Borneo with the 4X4 club on your bikes years ago, epic reading. Regarding water is there a reason why a water filter is not utilized to filter from the many murky streams? Or is the skid plate in addition to a filter?
Hi Justin,

Reason being is that in many places there's no water to be found to filter ! In the dry season when the wind blows in from Oz there's many places on the southern archipelago that are more like and resemble African savannah than the jungles you would expect to see in Indonesia. All the water sources are dry. I've run out of water on quite a few occassions after getting into situations I shouldn't have

I try to carry a minimum of 5 litres of water . I've used a 3 litre camelbak and a MSR water bag in the past. Good enough for cooking and for emergencies and it allowed me to stop and camp anywhere I wanted. That was easy enough to carry on the GS or my Africa Twin but I've now had enough of picking up heavy bikes.
This thread and some of your posts over the years have now inspired me to go light ! The skidplate solution seems like a great place to carry an extra few litres of water but still keep the weight down low.

How do you get on using a filter every day ? Never a problem with finding water in the middle of Cambodia ?

Oh, and when are you coming down here for a ride ??
Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #863
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Any links to your bash plate or photos of it on your bike ? It sounds exactly what I'm looking for my FE 390
The bash plate he's talking about is the force accessories 3l rally plate and tool box combo, lovely piece of kit and from oz so not far from you, I posted some pics of the 2l plate earlier in the thread or u can email them for some more pics. I'd love one but can't justify it for the riding I do at the moment

Hth

it was actually in the owners thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post20661573

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)

frostyuk screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 12:35 AM Reason: added link
frostyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #864
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Justin,

Reason being is that in many places there's no water to be found to filter ! In the dry season when the wind blows in from Oz there's many places on the southern archipelago that are more like and resemble African savannah than the jungles you would expect to see in Indonesia. All the water sources are dry. I've run out of water on quite a few occassions after getting into situations I shouldn't have

I try to carry a minimum of 5 litres of water . I've used a 3 litre camelbak and a MSR water bag in the past. Good enough for cooking and for emergencies and it allowed me to stop and camp anywhere I wanted. That was easy enough to carry on the GS or my Africa Twin but I've now had enough of picking up heavy bikes.
This thread and some of your posts over the years have now inspired me to go light ! The skidplate solution seems like a great place to carry an extra few litres of water but still keep the weight down low.

How do you get on using a filter every day ? Never a problem with finding water in the middle of Cambodia ?

Oh, and when are you coming down here for a ride ??
We KTM riders really envy the Berg layout with the airbox in a proper position located high and dry in stark contrast to the KTM with its ineffective side access airbox that from my experience lets in water all too easily. The Berg engine design also has that gorgeous spot allowing fluids and tools to be carried nice and low, leaves me quite jealous.

Like you I've just been dealing with fluids with a 3L water bladder in a backpack/Camelbak and another water bladder in the bottom of a GL Coyote. This year I'm switching over to The Kriega Overlander 30 to give them a try and see how I feel about them.

This past year I've had three surgeries on my arm trying to piece it together after cushioning the precious KTM from a fall. Its kept me from riding for faaaar too long now. If it knits together I could get down your way this year. PM me with any guide info if that got up and running.

I've had no problems using a water filter but then again I rarely have to rely on it on a daily basis. Thailand is populated heavily enough that water can be sourced from rural villages easily enough, I only break it out when running low on water and the mountainous terrain of northern Thailand and Laos lends itself to lots of streams. Cambodia's terrain being a lot more level is not as conducive to streams and what you find over there sometimes, I feel nothing will make it drinkable. This water was tinted orange and nothing growing next to it so feared some chemical contamination.

Not sure if I've just been plain lucky since a majority of my long rides are solo but so far 5 liters and a water filter have seen me through. They have not been too much of a hassle since when I've needed them I happily dig them out of my bag and re-fill the bladders. It takes me about 5 minutes pumping to fill my 3L bladder. However all it will take is one accident, stuck bike, or mechanical on my solo journeys where it traps me deep in the bush with no fluids nearby to prove me acutely wrong.

Are you planning on using the skid plate in lieu of the 2 liter water bladder?

I selfishly want another Monty RR to keep me Gobsmacked again.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #865
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
The bash plate he's talking about is the force accessories 3l rally plate and tool box combo, lovely piece of kit and from oz so not far from you, I posted some pics of the 2l plate earlier in the thread or u can email them for some more pics. I'd love one but can't justify it for the riding I do at the moment

Hth

it was actually in the owners thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post20661573

Awesome. Many thanks for that Frosty. The 2 litre version w. tool box looks perfect.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #866
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
We KTM riders really envy the Berg layout with the airbox in a proper position located high and dry in stark contrast to the KTM with its ineffective side access airbox that from my experience lets in water all too easily. The Berg engine design also has that gorgeous spot allowing fluids and tools to be carried nice and low, leaves me quite jealous.
Yeah the way the Force bash plate fits into that spot is pretty sweet.

Quote:
Like you I've just been dealing with fluids with a 3L water bladder in a backpack/Camelbak and another water bladder in the bottom of a GL Coyote. This year I'm switching over to The Kriega Overlander 30 to give them a try and see how I feel about them.

I'm going that route also. I have no gripes with GL and my Great Basin has held up brilliantly to what its been put through, but given a choice between buying a Coyote or the OL 30, I thought I would see what all the Kriega buzz is about.

Quote:
This past year I've had three surgeries on my arm trying to piece it together after cushioning the precious KTM from a fall. Its kept me from riding for faaaar too long now. If it knits together I could get down your way this year. PM me with any guide info if that got up and running.
Wow - sorry to hear that mate. Hope you heal up soon.
Unfortunatly I'm in the same boat. I'm writing this flat on my back . 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks into a 5 week ride, I broke my tib/fib in Lembata, an island of the end of Flores. My 250 kg Africa Twin fell on my ankle in the midde of nowhere. Anyway the whole incident has given me reason to rethink the bike I will use for my longer rides. If the consensus here is anything to go by it seem I have one of the best platforms in my stable already .

Quote:
I've had no problems using a water filter but then again I rarely have to rely on it on a daily basis. Thailand is populated heavily enough that water can be sourced from rural villages easily enough, I only break it out when running low on water and the mountainous terrain of northern Thailand and Laos lends itself to lots of streams. Cambodia's terrain being a lot more level is not as conducive to streams and what you find over there sometimes, I feel nothing will make it drinkable. This water was tinted orange and nothing growing next to it so feared some chemical contamination.

Yeah - I would be wondering if that wasn't the remnants of some Agent Orange over there !

Quote:
Not sure if I've just been plain lucky since a majority of my long rides are solo but so far 5 liters and a water filter have seen me through. They have not been too much of a hassle since when I've needed them I happily dig them out of my bag and re-fill the bladders. It takes me about 5 minutes pumping to fill my 3L bladder. However all it will take is one accident, stuck bike, or mechanical on my solo journeys where it traps me deep in the bush with no fluids nearby to prove me acutely wrong.
Unfortunatly I've been there and done that. Water (or the lack of it) always seems to be a big headache for us. I now think a water filter might be a welcome addition to my kit also. What do you reccommend ?

Quote:
Are you planning on using the skid plate in lieu of the 2 liter water bladder?
Yes I'm planning on doing away with the bladder. I've ordered a rear subframe fuel tank so following the collective wisdom here, want to get rid of some of the weight off the back of the bike and towards the front. The Force skidplate looks like it will allow me to move my tools also which is a big plus.

Quote:
I selfishly want another Monty RR to keep me Gobsmacked again.
Being stuck here healing there's not much to do once I've finished shopping for the Berg. I can therefore report that there is a RR in the pipeline from my latest ride out East. Unfortunately you now know how it ends !!

KTMInduro screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 08:05 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #867
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:

Unfortunatly I've been there and done that. Water (or the lack of it) always seems to be a big headache for us. I now think a water filter might be a welcome addition to my kit also. What do you reccommend ?

Being stuck here healing there's not much to do once I've finished shopping for the Berg. I can therefore report that there is a RR in the pipeline from my latest ride out East. Unfortunately you now know how it ends !!

Welcome to the Husa party, I too remember your awesome RR - very inspiring! I'm glad you found this thread and am looking forward to seeing what you do with the bike on your adventures.

Sorry to hear about the injury, I understand, not having been able to ride until recently with a few broken bones. No spoilers here, what happens in the Husaberg Adventure Thread stays in the thread, looking forward to a new RR from you!

As for water filter, after much trial and errors finding what works for me, I can recommend the Platypus GravityWorks Filter system. When you're out of water while riding or at the end of the day the last thing I wanted to do was sit there and hand pump liters of water, this system eliminates that and provides durable bags to transport water in addition to filtering it in minutes with no effort. They make 2L and 4L kits, I have the 4L bags, giving me the ability to carry 8L of water, though 4L combined with my 2L hydration pack has been plenty for me so far. It packs small enough, is very lightweight and makes dirty brown nasty water into clean clear delicious life giving water. For long adventures with lots of brown water it's good to carry an extra filter. Good stuff.

Heal up fast and get to doing your thing on the Husa!

Cheers

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:15 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #868
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
KTMInduro, I too really enjoyed your Borneo RR. Epic!!

Another water filter option:

As a mountain climber for 15 plus years this was my favorite water filter, and for many of my climbing friends, for pumping from the worst sources on long approaches and you could always drink the water. I still carry one on offroad adventure or dirtbike trips and backpacking/hiking trips.

First Need XL

Still very highly rated.

places to buy, example here and here

I have tried many other filter types and keep coming back to the First Need. It pumps fast too.

I've used the First Need XL filters all over the world for decades, instead of buying loads of questionable bottled water and really trust it. Never got sick from water from it. Packs small and screws right on to "wide mouth" Nalgene water bottles and water bladders with the same screw opening like the MSR Dromedary Bags, or has a hose for other containers.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #869
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,856
Thanks for the water filter info.....the Platypus GravityWorks System looks great. I think I will be investing in that system in the near future.

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #870
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Monty my answers below in orange.

Quote:

I'm going that route also. I have no gripes with GL and my Great Basin has held up brilliantly to what its been put through, but given a choice between buying a Coyote or the OL 30, I thought I would see what all the Kriega buzz is about.

Monty - Like you I'm hoping the Kriega offers something above and beyond my GL Coyote that I have been extremely satisfied with do to its sturdy build and only a couple design features had me tempted to look elsewhere. I've already found a few things I don't like at all on the Kriega design but like most posters on this site, with a bit of modification hopefully we can get it close to perfect.

Wow - sorry to hear that mate. Hope you heal up soon.
Unfortunatly I'm in the same boat. I'm writing this flat on my back . 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks into a 5 week ride, I broke my tib/fib in Lembata, an island of the end of Flores. My 250 kg Africa Twin fell on my ankle in the midde of nowhere. Anyway the whole incident has given me reason to rethink the bike I will use for my longer rides. If the consensus here is anything to go by it seem I have one of the best platforms in my stable already .

Wow!! Sorry to hear about the mishap. I can only hope the fracture is not too complex and you'll be back on the bike in the not too distant future. Wish I could assure that the lightweight bikes will make broken bones a thing of the past when they land on you. In my experience they still sadly snap bones, my Tibula and Fibula emulating your lower leg after I lost the front end.

Yeah - I would be wondering if that wasn't the remnants of some Agent Orange over there !

Like the perfect bike, everyone's has got their opinion on what works as the best filter. I think it's more paramount that one is used rather than which model. The hardest core offroader (in the bush the majority of days in the month, most months) by far in our neck of the woods relies on a Katadyn (used to be the brand name PUR). One of the best names in the business for purification and Katadyn have been doing it for years.

His Katadyn has been used nonstop and bounced around in his gearbag for years without any issues, reliably filtering water for himself and clients. He says 3 liter bladders take but a few minutes to fill mimicking my experience with my hand pump filter.

Lost Rider has enjoyed his Platypus GravityWorks filter which works a charm and as stated requires no pumping. Only reason I chose not to go with a gravity water filter system was that it requires you to fill a bladder with the dirty water. This is fine if you're filling from deep streams and rivers with a decent amount of water that make scooping 3 liters of water into the bag pain free and you need not worry about wasting 3-5 minutes pumping. However in my environment I've filled from small rivulets not flowing much water (look at above pic a couple posts above for a sample of the size) many times and often have to dig a small recess into the bottom of the stream about the size of a grapefruit to gather the water. In this situation the hand pump models offer an easier solution to acquire the water with their small prefilter just dropped into the dug out recess and pump away. Trying to scoop out the water from these sources with a 3 liter water bladder is awkward...or even worse.

Since I'm always trying to pare down my gear I went with MSR HyperFlow MicroFilter due to its size.

I toss the Nalgene bottle adapter piece and the filter fits into my hand.

High Flow Rate: Pumps more than 3 liters per minute or one liter every 20 strokes.
Ultralight: Just 7.4 oz. (209 g).
Ultra-small: Just 7x3.5 in. ( 17.8 x 8.3 cm) makes it easy to take along even when space is at a premium.
Field-Maintainable: Can be cleaned repeatedly for flow recovery without tools.

It has worked fine for me in the field so far.

Another thing I always pack in our weather Monty is electrolyte powder to mix with the water. Due to the humidity and heat we both ride in I find this a vital tool in keeping one healthy riding over here.

Yes I'm planning on doing away with the bladder. I've ordered a rear subframe fuel tank so following the collective wisdom here, want to get rid of some of the weight off the back of the bike and towards the front. The Force skidplate looks like it will allow me to move my tools also which is a big plus.

Monty is this for a 570 Berg or your 390? Sounds a perfect solution, especially if not needed on a daily basis.

All the best on the recovery Monty and can't wait to see you with the new ride getting set-up.

Edit: I forgot to include another option but I just could not swallow the price. This is small and no plastic pieces to break which I thought a benefit in offroad riding being packed next to cookware, metal tools etc. The Katadyn Pocket purifier. http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-801361.../dp/B0007U00YE

team ftb screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 03:07 AM