Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #871
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Welcome to the Husa party, I too remember your awesome RR - very inspiring! I'm glad you found this thread and am looking forward to seeing what you do with the bike on your adventures.
Many thanks for the warm welcome Finn. Hope I'll be able to contribute something here.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the injury, I understand, not having been able to ride until recently with a few broken bones. No spoilers here, what happens in the Husaberg Adventure Thread stays in the thread, looking forward to a new RR from you!
Doc told me yesterday I have at least another 3 weeks in the cast then some fairly intense PT. Riding is still a way off, but I guess I will keep busy with adventurising the 390 (once I can get off my back) and working on the RR.
Unfortunatly its difficult to nigh on impossible to top that trip in Borneo, so I hope you lot can still enjoy a sightly less intense RR without seeing me hanging off winching cables up to my neck in mud. .
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #872
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Wow!! Sorry to hear about the mishap. I can only hope the fracture is not too complex and you'll be back on the bike in the not too distant future. Wish I could assure that the lightweight bikes will make broken bones a thing of the past when they land on you. In my experience they still sadly snap bones, my Tibula and Fibula emulating your lower leg after I lost the front end.
Luckily no displacement with my fracture so no complications there.
I realise that even the lighter bikes cause muccho damage if the fall gods are not with you ! The main reason for the change is the enjoyment factor. Very similar to what LS stated at the beginning of this thread - the bigger bikes just can't be ridden easily into the areas i want to explore, and become a liability and a PITA to pick up 10 times a day.

Quote:
Another thing I always pack in our weather Monty is electrolyte powder to mix with the water. Due to the humidity and heat we both ride in I find this a vital tool in keeping one healthy riding over here.
I usually pack satchets of electrolytes and also reccomend packing quick action magnesium which is really effective against cramping and arm pump etc.

Quote:
Monty is this for a 570 Berg or your 390? Sounds a perfect solution, especially if not needed on a daily basis
Plan is to use the 390. I'mm fortunate to also have a 350 EXC for trails duties here.

Quote:
All the best on the recovery Monty and can't wait to see you with the new ride getting set-up
Cheers Justin. Hope you to heal up fast also mate and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures on your new 500
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #873
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Thanks guys for all the water filter reccommendations.

I thought I would bring the Stripen Adventurer Opti into the mix also

Advantages : Looks small , light and easy to use and fairly quick to treat water. I saw on some backpacking sites that coffee filters can be used to filter the treated water to remove flotsam. Price

Disadvantages : Water is going to still look dirty. Unit could malfunction. Batteries.

Any other opinions on the pro's and con's of this ?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #874
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro View Post
Thanks guys for all the water filter reccommendations.

I thought I would bring the Stripen Adventurer Opti into the mix also

Advantages : Looks small , light and easy to use and fairly quick to treat water. I saw on some backpacking sites that coffee filters can be used to filter the treated water to remove flotsam. Price

Disadvantages : Water is going to still look dirty. Unit could malfunction. Batteries.

Any other opinions on the pro's and con's of this ?
Just make sure you follow the instruction to the T!! ask me how I know
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #875
pinevalley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Water filtering - my experiences...

I have used the following filters:
• a pump (Katadyn / PUR)
• a friend’s Steripen on a backback trip
• custom gravity filter (sawyer)
• Aquamira drops

My preference is the gravity filter or the Aquamira drops.

The gravity filter is nice to fill and forget. I use the “free filter time” to do chores around camp or munch on a snack at the side of the trail. I had a platypus 3L big zip that I attached to a standalone Sawyer filter with some medical grade Tygon tubing (very light). I would recommend modifying any off the shelf filter systems by moving the filter as far away from the feed bag. This provides more head pressure and therefore more flow through the filter. The “clean” side of the Sawyer filter fits right into the bite valve of the hydration bladder or I just dump it directly into the 3L Force tank.

The Aquimira drops are simple, stupidly light and very compact. The negative is it takes considerable “free filter time” 30 mins. I use this backpacking and have yet to try it on the bike.

The Steripen…heavy, must swirl the water the entire time, not intuitive activation (note: I don’t own this unit so take that with a grain of salt, but others who barrowed/owned had similar issues), had to activate 2x on some occasions due to non-activation, not clear how cross contamination is handled…not confidence inspiring and requires “active filtering time”.

The PUR pump…heavy and requires “active filtering time”.

Please note I did not mention sediment or shallow water holes…most of the locations I grab water from do not have these opportunities. Therefore, I have no experience, but I’m sure it is intuitive to figure out what filter would work and what would not.

One thing to consider when choosing a pump is site location, not all pumps filter out the same little nasty bugs. Please make sure your filter is appropriate for the location you are visiting.

Remember - these are just my experiences and may not necessarily the best for everyone.

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #876
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
I have used the following filters:
• a pump (Katadyn / PUR)
• a friend’s Steripen on a backback trip
• custom gravity filter (sawyer)
• Aquamira drops

My preference is the gravity filter or the Aquamira drops.

The gravity filter is nice to fill and forget.
pinevalley
Cheers for that Pine Valley. After looking at my options I think I'll see how I get on with a gravity filter. Either the Sawyer or Platypus system I guess.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #877
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
Has anyone fitted Steg Pegz to their Berg that is also fitted with a 70 Degree rear subframe tank?

The supplied rear wood screws are different, so will have to find longer fine thread screws to fit into the brass threaded sections in the rear tank.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SP10-STEG...-/161009183784

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #878
getset
----GO----

Oddometer: 102
Lovely, lovely machine

After a good time searching and finding a bike, I took delivery a month and a half ago of my 570. Very pleased with my decision. After riding Beta's 20,000 mile 400+ hour 570 I was convinced. Been able to get out and around Mt for some great riding. First over-nighter this weekend. Thanks for all the input in this thread. It was helpful in my decision. Here is a couple of shots of my barely broken in 2010 and Beta's well loved 2011....

getset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #879
waldecker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Has anyone fitted Steg Pegz to their Berg that is also fitted with a 70 Degree rear subframe tank?

Not yet, but I am also keen to find out since I had my subframe tank fitted last week and was looking into adding Stegpegz.
Any info on that would be appreciated.
Cheers
waldecker
waldecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #880
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Will be heading to a bolt store this week.

It also looks like I need to fit some thicker rubber between the steg Pegz and the edge of the fuel tank so that it doesn't rub directly on it. The supplied stuck on foam won't do anything to protect the tank.

xronly
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #881
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

The 390 or the 570 ?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, all be it a good one.

I've just been offered a 2012 570 with 40 hours. There's only a handful of 570's in Indo and not many come up for sale.

As mentioned earlier a few post back I have been planning on converting my 2010 390 (w. 150 hours) into an ADV bike. I love the 390 as a trail bike but have never ridden with it loaded up with gear.
I'm wondering if the 570 might not be better choice for the job. I'm not sure if I can justify to Mrs Induro the neccessity of owning both.

There's not really any freeways or long long stretches of open asphalt and the like in Indo, which I have read is one of the plus's for the 570 over the 450 & 390.
I'll be riding on the dirt as much as I can, but when riding on asphalt I'm not expecting to get over 100 km/h in the majority of places I go.

I will be carrying gear, food, water for multiple day trips in the Kriega OL bags a Force 2l water/ tool bash plate and perhaps a small waterproof duffel or a Kriega 10.

I know the 390 can do the job and do the job well , but will the 570 do it better ? I would be interested to hear from owners of both bikes.

The 390 or the 570 ?

Cheers
Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #882
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro View Post
I'm in a bit of a dilemma, all be it a good one.

I've just been offered a 2012 570 with 40 hours. There's only a handful of 570's in Indo and not many come up for sale.

As mentioned earlier a few post back I have been planning on converting my 2010 390 (w. 150 hours) into an ADV bike. I love the 390 as a trail bike but have never ridden with it loaded up with gear.
I'm wondering if the 570 might not be better choice for the job. I'm not sure if I can justify to Mrs Induro the neccessity of owning both.

There's not really any freeways or long long stretches of open asphalt and the like in Indo, which I have read is one of the plus's for the 570 over the 450 & 390.
I'll be riding on the dirt as much as I can, but when riding on asphalt I'm not expecting to get over 100 km/h in the majority of places I go.

I will be carrying gear, food, water for multiple day trips in the Kriega OL bags a Force 2l water/ tool bash plate and perhaps a small waterproof duffel or a Kriega 10.

I know the 390 can do the job and do the job well , but will the 570 do it better ? I would be interested to hear from owners of both bikes.

The 390 or the 570 ?

Cheers
Other than more grunt, and less fuel range, I can't really think of why the 570 is all that different or better. People with 390s seem to think their bikes are better and easier to ride in the tight stuff due to how the power comes on. However, if you're like me and will always wonder and look, you might as well get it and sell the one you don't like. All the bolt on parts are swapped across.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #883
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldecker View Post

Not yet, but I am also keen to find out since I had my subframe tank fitted last week and was looking into adding Stegpegz.
Any info on that would be appreciated.
Cheers
waldecker
M5 x 25mm flange bolts fit. Make sure you use some kind of anti seize on every bolt on these 70 Degree tanks.

xronly
Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #884
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Other than more grunt, and less fuel range, I can't really think of why the 570 is all that different or better..
is there a big difference in fuel economy? on an easy adventure ride i normally get around 200 km or 120 miles before she runs out completely. definitely drops in gnarly going or pushing the bike though. cruz i think you mentioned what you get with the 390 before but can't remember....
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #885
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Yeah, I easily get that. From rides with other 570's, I think the 390 is a little bit more economic as long as you aren't ringing its neck.

xronly