Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #901
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
This is one of the passes we rode over, the Hussy was flawless at altitude.

Awesome, glad to hear the trip you've been planning went well! I assume your nifty tank also worked good too?

You can post photos by clicking the little mountain looking icon and pasting the photo link in there.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #902
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Awesome, glad to hear the trip you've been planning went well! I assume your nifty tank also worked good too?

You can post photos by clicking the little mountain looking icon and pasting the photo link in there.
The tank was a life saver, some of our legs approached 300 miles without any refueling in between. Once we were out of California and running on 91-93 octane without all the Ethanol, our mileage was as high as 61 MPG. The best was in Idaho while running 93 octane w/o Ethanol.

As to posting the pictures, what image hosting site do you all use to put the pictures in so that you have a link to utilize? I've tried Photobucket and Imagur, both of them have so much flash and so many advertisements that they stop my upload about 50% of the time. Any suggestions?

I had a Go-Pro going on this ride and I have some excellent video I think you would all enjoy too, but I can't get it onto this site.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #903
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
The tank was a life saver, some of our legs approached 300 miles without any refueling in between. Once we were out of California and running on 91-93 octane without all the Ethanol, our mileage was as high as 61 MPG. The best was in Idaho while running 93 octane w/o Ethanol.

As to posting the pictures, what image hosting site do you all use to put the pictures in so that you have a link to utilize? I've tried Photobucket and Imagur, both of them have so much flash and so many advertisements that they stop my upload about 50% of the time. Any suggestions?

I had a Go-Pro going on this ride and I have some excellent video I think you would all enjoy too, but I can't get it onto this site.

Smugmug is the way to go and supports Baldy the owner of Smugmug and this site.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #904
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

+1 Smugmug.

Best no ad and powerful photo hosting site around that also directly supports this ad-free no cost ADVrider site. Can host video too. Win-win.

So did you ride the Tour of Idaho T1?

LostRider.com
Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #905
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
+1 Smugmug.

Best no ad and powerful photo hosting site around that also directly supports this ad-free no cost ADVrider site. Can host video too. Win-win.

So did you ride the Tour of Idaho T1?
Yes, we rode the T-1 route plus anothe almost 2000 miles. The T-1 trails was fun and challenging. We missed a short bit out of Chalis due to a fire and we missed the Magruder Road section due to another fire. Besides that we rode all of the trail and skipped only a short 15 mile section of deep sand whoops. Having ridden lots of sand in my days down in the dersert, I knew it was too much for our heavily loaded bikes and not knowing the route through the dunes. We couldn't maintain speed and follow the GPS causing us to wallow around and generally overheat the engine. So, yes, other than that, we followd the T-1 route to north of Priest Lake.

I also had plotted a course acrocc Northern Nevada into Northern utah that was complete desert and almost no pavement until Golden Spike, UT. On the way home, i had another route plotted and loaded taking us through Hells Canyon rim country, the Willawa (sp?) Mountians, and across another near the Owayhee desert (camped at owayhee reservoir), and back through a different section of Northern Nevada adn Southern Oregon to home. On the way home, we had on 30 mile section of freeway we had to hit due to one of my fuel stops being out of fuel, and the rest of our ride was either gravel USFS/BLM, jeep trail, or secondary blacktop. Probably 60%+ dirt on the way back too.

Going to Smugmug now.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #906
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Photo

http://brian011952.smugmug.com/Sample-Gallery/i-7QNFH8C
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #907
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Brian's Photo...you certainly tested that rear subframe strength

Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #908
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Subframe

I think I posted on here where I modified that plastic subframe and added some stiffners, they worked well. It is lighter than it looks, but heavier than I would have liked. Most of the bulk is from a sleeping bag and a ground pad, I'm getting to old to sleep directly on the ground anymore. Also, being in the back country as far as we were and sleeping out for multiple dayys in a row, we packed more survival gear than usual. Surprisingly, we used a lot of the gear. Here is my gear list, see what you guys think.

Packing Guide
· Clothes
o Long Sleeved Shirt x1/worn D-1
o Underwear x3 L/Pannier
o Socks x5 L/Pannier
o Sweater R/Pannier
o Thermals/Top Luggage
o Riding Jacket
o T-shoes
o Shorts/Top Luggage
o T-Shirt x2/Top Luggage
o Watch Cap/Top Luggage
o Small Towel/Top Luggage
· Electrical (All Electrical in Tank Bag)
o Go-Pro
§ USB Charging Cord
§ Spare Battery
o Cell Phone
§ USB Charging Cord
o Power Port/USB Adapter
o Batteries
§ Spot
o GPS x2 (Hallelujah)
o Nylon Cordage and Hooks
· Gear
o Stove/Top Bag
o Mess Kit/Top Bag
o Purifier/R-Pannier
o Flashlight/Tank Bag
o Reading Material
§ Small New Testament/R-Pannier w/purifier
o Route Cards/Top bag with towel
o Map Book/Top Bag
o Fire Starter/R-Pannier w/purifier
o Leatherman/Tank Bag
o .45 Springfield@Magazines/Tank Bag
o Tent/Strapped to Top Bag and Seat
o Medical Bag/R-pannier
o Spare Straps/In Tent Bag
o Spare Goggle Lens/Top Bag (wrapped in towel)
· Bedding
o Sleeping Bag/Top Bag
o Ground Pad/Top Bag
· Food
o Minimal, One to two days maximum/L-Pannier
o Ibuprofen-Aspirin/W-soap and shampoo in Top Bag
· Hygiene (In mesh bag in Top Bag)
o Tooth brush
o Toothpaste
o Soap
o Hair Brush
o Toilet Paper
o Placquers
o Ear Buds
o Roll Off’s
o Garbage Bags
o Carmex/Tank Bag
· Water
o Nalgene Bottle/L-Pannier
o Camelbak
· Bike Maintenance
o Extra Oil
§ Engine/R-Pannier
o Coolant/L-pannier
o Extra Clamps 2 ½ inch/On bottles
o Oil Filter/Top Bag (wrapped in Watch Cap)
o Chain Lube/Top Bag
o Extra 2 Liter Fuel/Maxpedition Bags
· Tool Bag
o Box at Bottom
§ Zip Ties
§ Extra Chain Links
§ Misc Bots and Screws for Alum Tank and Subframe Extensions
§ Jumper Cables
§ Fuel Hose
§ Fuel Clamp
§ Patches
§ Super Glue
§ J/B Weld
§ High Temp Silicone
§ Misc Specialty tools for Allen and Torx screws
§ Fuses
o In Bag (wrapped in cotton rag)
§ Two Heavy Duty Zip Ties/one Flex cuff
§ Tow Strap
§ Rim Protectors
§ 4x Screw Drivers
§ Chain Breaker
§ Plate Press (Master Links)
§ Tire Irons
§ Standard KTM Tool Kit
§ fuel line
§ Valve Stem Remover
· Medical Bag
o Israeli Military Tourniquet
o Quick Clot
o Petroleum Gauze Bandage
o 3x Gauze bandages
o Band Aids
o Burn ointment
o Rubber Gloves
o Sting Medication
o Antibacterial wipes
o Ear Plugs
o Antibacterial Soap
o Face Barrier (CPR)
o Super Glue
· Tank Bag
o Leatherman
o Phone
o Wallet
o Reading Glasses
o Face Mask
· Panniers
  • Hand Pump/R-Pannier (With Purifier)
BTW, I tried SmugMug, and had success loading one picture then it began freezing on every picture about 2/3rd's of the way through the load process? My computer is OLD, and something just doesn't seem to be meshing properly. If someone would like to post some pics for me to this forum, PM me with your Email address and I can Email some resized pictures over that can be posted. I'll then comment on them and fill you guys in on the ride details. That seems to be the best I can do.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #909
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

That's a lot of stuff, all you really needed was the .45 and New Testament if that's you thing.

Just kidding.

Glad you had a fun and safe trip, I can understand why some spots on T1 on loaded bike would be challenging. Did you ride Pete king trail or big southern butte or go up Massacre mountain? I wasn't able to get up Massacre Mountain on my 800GS and really want to see what it's like up there. I don't remember any sand dunes on T1, maybe things have changed since it's been a few years since I was there. Really looking forward to exploring Idaho on the Husa...

Do you have a GPX track from your trip, would love to check it out.

My email is finn (at) lostrider.com send me some photos and I'll send you the link to the smugmug gallery so you can post them yourself, looking forward to more details on your trip. Yes I think your issue is with your computer, did you try using a different uploader in smugmug, there's a few options. Or try uploading just a few photos at a time. If not I'll do it for you.

On another note, I finally took the Berg' on some dirt being mostly healed up. I camped out on the Ortega Trail last week for the Persiod Meteor Shower peak, was great to get on some single track and camp even if it was pretty close to home. Nothing but warm dry weather so packing was minimal and easy.
I'm looking forward to the winter riding season and see where the berg' takes me!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 11:43 AM
Old 08-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #910
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

I have the GPS routes from our trip. As to the specific T-1 spots you mentioned, I can't say for sure about those locations. I downloaded the route listed as the 2013 T-1 Trail and followed the Red line on my GPS when I reached the trailhead. The steepest days were around Pocatello,ID. Although steep and rocky, I had a couple things in my favor. They were the load on the back and the weight in that new fuel tank I built being low and in front. It was amazing how well balanced my bike was and how it would climb with that fuel tank full placing the weight forward and low like that; basically, i could tractor up stuff I couldn't have climbed even half as well with the bike unloaded.

The single track sections were faboulous, I really enjoyed the Boundary Trail, Independance Creek Trail and all of Day one and Day three. Day three might have been Massacre Mountain, I can't remember what that trail was called, but that might have been it. If it climbed into a srteep wilderness type area on rocks, switchbacks, and over Skree slopes, yes we rode that. The picture of me riding at 10,200+ feet was taken at the top of that trail. The view was amazing up there.

On day one, the ridge he talks about and calls very technical was just steep, but no real diffulties in either climbing or descending anywhere along that section. Twice during the ride, my riding buddy lost either his front or rear brake from boiling the fluid on steep downhills, that never happened to me and once his brakes cooled, they returned. Just a bit of a heads up on using the gears when descending from some of the steep sections on the T-1.

Besides thee T-1, we rode across Northern nevada in some very lonely back country. Our route from Paradise Valley to Montello was over 270 miles without any civilization. Then from Montello to Golden Spike, UT, it was very hot and DRY! We had three flats in this section, a note to the wise, although I had used a 21 inch tube before as a fix for a rear flat, when it is hot and the bike is heavy, this absolutely will not last. Two 21's blew out in under ten miles, fortunately we were able to repair an 18 that we had removed earlier. This was the longest day of the entire ride.

I'll Email you some photos tomorrow morning. I appreciate you offering to post them. I was able to get signed up on SmugMug, I just can't post to their site? I'll look at the format and see if there is something I can do.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #911
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

The Mary River in Nevada.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #912
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Soldier Meadows, this was the Original officers quarters for Fort McGarry which was the largest fort west of the Mississippi until the 1870's.

Eye candy, eye candy, eye candy everywhere.

Glacial Lakes, looking down from above 10,000 feet at this one.

Navigation along the way.

Awesome ttails every day.

Camping in grizzly country.

Willowa (SP?) Mountians.

Owayhee River Country and Canyons

3315.5 from this spot to this spot, an excellent 12 days of riding and exploring.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #913
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

I lI like this picture of your Berg against the stars. Nice photo.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #914
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Adventure with my berg!

Here are a few pics from my last weekend. I ride a 2011 Husaberg FS570 with adventure wheels (19" front, 17" rear)

And here's a video of the ride:

http://youtu.be/W-ChCjFL1Vg

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #915
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 281
I really liked your vid MrB. Still have a lot of respect for the trailer you make too! I can't imagine a 19" on the front of my berg, must be strange until you get used to it.

The ADV range on your berg with the aquiline tank and the rotopax backup plus the other places you can stash fuel on that trailer -- move over GSA there's a new supertanker in town!
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote