User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #106
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Very nice!

lost in sea of orange (and lesser brands)... I love it!
it's nice to be a little different and have a trouble free ride.

I got my oil report back, I'll comment more about it and post up some photos of my weekend adventure too.... have to run now though.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #107
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Went out with some buddies over the weekend - two day trip, 200+ miles of dual sporting each day. No mechanicals, no flats and no injuries. Some great trails & some great views. Some single track and a bunch of fire roads with some asphalt thrown in for good measure.

Here's one. Top of Hull Mountain at the lookout:

I was the only Husaberg amongst a sea of KTMs and other lesser brands
I see you have the HDB rear view mirrors.. can you tell me if they are actually useable on the road?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #108
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I see you have the HDB rear view mirrors.. can you tell me if they are actually useable on the road?
I'll weigh in on the HDB mirrors. At 5'10", they are great for me. Way better than the stock units.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #109
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecarpenter View Post
I'll weigh in on the HDB mirrors. At 5'10", they are great for me. Way better than the stock units.
Perfect..I am the same height. I broke one of my OEM mirrors on my Sunday ride from hell, I knew I would eventually... I was going to replace them with the Double Take Mirrors like I have on the DRZ, but I really like the look of the HDB stuff. I do, however, use my rear view mirrors quite a bit both on the trail and on the road and need them to be functional, not just DOT show pieces to pass an inspection.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #110
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Went out with some buddies over the weekend - two day trip, 200+ miles of dual sporting each day. No mechanicals, no flats and no injuries. Some great trails & some great views. Some single track and a bunch of fire roads with some asphalt thrown in for good measure.
I was the only Husaberg amongst a sea of KTMs and other lesser brands
Was that Ray's Spa Enduro invitational out of Ukiah/Garberville?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #111
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Perfect..I am the same height. I broke one of my OEM mirrors on my Sunday ride from hell, I knew I would eventually... I was going to replace them with the Double Take Mirrors like I have on the DRZ, but I really like the look of the HDB stuff. I do, however, use my rear view mirrors quite a bit both on the trail and on the road and need them to be functional, not just DOT show pieces to pass an inspection.

My HDB mirrors are also very useful at any speeds and durable, when the bike gets dropped on them or I tap a tree they just fold in. These came off my other bike and have lasted many miles and abuse so far.

Hey ADV Grifter, what brand trials tire do you recommend, I'm due for new shoes and it's in between seeing what all the hoopla is about on a trials or trying out the Motoz Tractionator Desert. Then there's always the trusty D606 I like and I know how it will wear.
Remember, I ride more than 50% pavement traveling on the FE and while I can adapt to available traction, having a tire that will last is important to me, even more so than having the best traction.
How does a trials tire wear on pavement?
This 908RR has more than 2500 miles on it and while it might not provide best traction in all situations it's great on pavement, lasted a long time and is fine on dirt for me. Since it was designed for big DS bikes it's worn very nicely on the lightweight FE..... Problem is it's darn expensive and out of my budget for now.... plus wanting see what else works.

Some photos from the last ride traveling about 700 miles in 3 days
I love riding this bike! To the horror of many I can honestly say I also enjoy riding it to get to the trails, it's a blast in the twisties on pavement.... is that so wrong?.....

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 12:34 PM
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #112
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Hey ADV Grifter, what brand trials tire do you recommend, I'm due for new shoes and it's in between seeing what all the hoopla is about on a trials or trying out the Motoz Tractionator Desert. Then there's always the trusty D606 I like and I know how it will wear.
Remember, I ride more than 50% pavement traveling on the FE and while I can adapt to available traction, having a tire that will last is important to me, even more so than having the best traction.
How does a trials tire wear on pavement?
A trials tire would not match a tire like the Avon Distanzia or Michelin Anakee, both great travel tires in combo with a knobby front. (Crashmaster calls this a "Mullet" combo). But they WILL outlast a conventional knobby, and probably even some of the so called miracle rally tires like the 908.
Also longer lasting than D606 and maybe the TKC80 too.

I'm new to Trials tires (less than a year now) but have been keeping up with friends who've run them for several years. When my buddy Ray raves on about them ... I pay attention. Ray is the Ray of the Spa Enduro ride I mentioned in my last post. A living legend.
Ray claims he's getting a whole season out of one Trials tire. He would use TWO knobbies per season before going to Trials. He's hard on tires.
So figure two to one, Knobby vs. Trials. (roughly)

Ray lives 3 minutes from an excellent riding area so he gets out a lot. His "season" is probably 7 or 8 months out of the year. Owns a KTM 520 and 4 or 5 other bikes, street and dirt.

I have a WR250F. Handling is improved, it just sticks better railing around berms, excellent hook up. Traction in loose, steep uphill scree is better too, less spinning more forward motion, better control. I hear they load up in heavy mud ... haven't ridden much of that.

If I were traveling, doing super long distance, I probably would not go with a Trials tire on my LD travel bike (DR650). A street biased dual sport (as mentioned above) would be better for me as my highway speeds High.

But if you're doing weekend off road rides, then it makes sense, IMO. The Trials tire is amazing, very low impact on the trail too. It's what they require in Euro ISDE events .... and did you know Arena Cross (and perhaps Enduro Cross?) Banned them for having an "unfair" advantage!

Keep highway speeds down to 55 to 60 mph and I'm guessing they'll last a fairly long time. I've only done three rides on mine ... no wear at all. (about 200 dirt miles total)

Down side is cost ... and they make your bike TALLER by an inch or so. I'm only 5'6" so that is an issue for me. Not for others.

Quote:
Some photos from the last ride traveling about 700 miles in 3 days
I love riding this bike! To the horror of many I can honestly say I also enjoy riding it to get to the trails, it's a blast in the twisties on pavement.... is that so wrong?.....
Not unusual, most of my dirt bikes work well on the tight paved twisties, including my WR250F ... and the Trial tire is better than a knobby on pavement too. Bike leans over more naturally and sticks like crazy. Only limitation is the knobby front which will wash out a bit when pushed. So far, I know no one running a Trials front. I'm thinking it might work well too. Dunno?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #113
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Thanks for the response, what model Trials tire are you using?

I see the MT-43 seems to be most popular and have excellent wearing on pavement....

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 04:53 PM
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #114
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Thanks for the response, what model Trials tire are you using?

I see the MT-43 seems to be most popular and have excellent wearing on pavement....
Sorry, should have mentioned ... MT-43 here. Ridding buddy has Michelin.
Also good! Pirelli is less money.

Pirelli MT-43 : $73
Michelin : $96
Dunlop D803 : $96
IRC TR-11 : $160
Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #115
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Was that Ray's Spa Enduro invitational out of Ukiah/Garberville?
Yup.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #116
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Yes and no. They're small, so that limits their usefulness. Also, when at speed on asphalt (with knobbies on) there's a lot of vibration. It can be a bit of a pain to adjust them to see what's behind you, and you need to re-adjust every time you fold them in/out.

BUT, it terms of seeing if someone's behind you on the trail so you can give 'em room to pass (happens a lot if you're a slowpoke like me ) - they work well.

BUT, and for me this was one of the most important factors, they crash REALLY well

I love 'em. PLUS, Paul (the guy who designed/makes them) is super nice to deal with. As a satisfied customer I give HDB two thumbs up.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #117
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
+1 for the MT43. 10-12 PSI should work off-road but I have run them as low as 2 psi - fantastic grip on slippery rock but that low and they squirm a bit on the road. Aired up, I have also ridden the length of France on the motorway before hitting the trails in Spain.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #118
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
+1 for the MT43. 10-12 PSI should work off-road but I have run them as low as 2 psi - fantastic grip on slippery rock but that low and they squirm a bit on the road. Aired up, I have also ridden the length of France on the motorway before hitting the trails in Spain.
What front tire to go with the MT43 for true dual-sport?

I've been real happy with the Mich T63 set I've been running lately (130/80-18, 90/90-21). Not the ultimate offroad, but at 10-12 PSI very decent and they've gone everywhere even in mud. The front is not as aggressive in the loose/slick as a full knob, but again, just slows you down a little and if not a racer, they work great. Much better and quieter on pavement and in the rain than any other DOT knobbie I've tried yet, and holding up well. Lots of reviews, like all tires, good and bad. Some people whine about the rear but it's the exact same tread pattern/knobs as the Michelin Desert and that rear tire was a favorite for Dakar riders! The T63 just have one less ply in them than the super beefy, heavy Desert.

Great pix as always Lost!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #119
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
New FE570S owner here..... Question for those using Giant Loop products.....looks like I see the Mojave mounted on Lost Riders FE570 and the Coyote mounted on others. Which way are you running the lower straps? I have run mine around the frame which is very close to the pipe on the right side but did not do any heat damage to the strap just riding it around the yard. Looks like some are running it under the bike near the spring? What is proven to work without damage to the strap from either the heat or the rear spring?
YamahaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #120
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaTN View Post
New FE570S owner here..... Question for those using Giant Loop products.....looks like I see the Mojave mounted on Lost Riders FE570 and the Coyote mounted on others. Which way are you running the lower straps? I have run mine around the frame which is very close to the pipe on the right side but did not do any heat damage to the strap just riding it around the yard. Looks like some are running it under the bike near the spring? What is proven to work without damage to the strap from either the heat or the rear spring?
I have run the GL Mo-Javi and I wrapped gold heat reflective tape (silver would works just as well) around the strap on that exhaust side and have had no problems in all-day rides.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote