Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #121
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaTN View Post
New FE570S owner here..... Question for those using Giant Loop products.....looks like I see the Mojave mounted on Lost Riders FE570 and the Coyote mounted on others. Which way are you running the lower straps? I have run mine around the frame which is very close to the pipe on the right side but did not do any heat damage to the strap just riding it around the yard. Looks like some are running it under the bike near the spring? What is proven to work without damage to the strap from either the heat or the rear spring?

Congrats!
I run my Mojave like this, loosening the bolt that holds on the plastic, wrap it around, cinch it down then tighten the bolt back up. Hasn't moved in many miles and by making a loop with the extra webbing I also have a tie down point for my cargo net that's very handy for short term storage while riding.

Good to hear more positive thoughts on the MT-43. Thank you.

I just mounted a new MT-43 along with a Shinko 700 front tire that I had laying around, a soft rubber tire I liked for general DS use on my other bikes, especially on gravel roads and in dry rocky environments. While I was slightly shifting my bike towards more DS/road use I also changed my gearing to a 14/45, from a 14/48 and will carry the 13t sprocket for when I get to the trail if I want to change it. It's not uncommon for me to ride 200-250 miles to an area then get on the less traveled roads/trails.
She doesn't look as potent now, but it's all about trying things out before The Big Ride.

I'm hoping to try out this new setup over the weekend and hit the road next week for a longer test run.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 08:34 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #122
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
Couldn't use the MT 43 on my 390, clearance was far too close for me and the tyre fitter.

For DS riding I have been using a rear Maxxis Dualmaxx instead and so far it has been excellent compared to a 606 and the oem Six Days tyre.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...maxx-Rear.aspx

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #123
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
She doesn't look as potent now, but it's all about trying things out before The Big Ride.
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #124
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
The Big Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Yea. What he said
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #125
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
For DS riding I have been using a rear Maxxis Dualmaxx instead and so far it has been excellent compared to a 606 and the oem Six Days tyre.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...maxx-Rear.aspx
Are you getting good mileage out of the Dualmaxx? The one complaint I've heard about them is longevity. I hated the OEM Six Days, but fairly happy with the D606 but willing to try something different next time...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #126
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
The Big Ride?

Yea. What he said

I'm always planning for The Big Ride, even if technically it might be a little ways off...
I'm getting ready to take off working abroad for months, when I return a long ride will be in order.

LostRider.com
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #127
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I have heard there are issues with 570's boiling up the gas because of the lack of airflow under there? Is that true? If so, how is this problem alleviated for the travelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
very interested to hear about his maintenance procedures.. i.e. oil changes and valve checks.
I would like to know how often you need to get the rings/piston done. Could be more often than the valves, aye?

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 01:18 PM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #128
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
I have heard there are issues with 570's boiling up the gas because of the lack of airflow under there? Is that true? If so, how is this problem alleviated for the travelers?
One way to cool it better

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #129
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
One way to cool it better

You're holding it wrong :-)
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #130
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post

I would like to know how often you need to get the rings/piston done. Could be more often than the valves, aye?

In my limited experience the gas has only boiled once, while at very high elevation doing a long slow technical climb.

I plan on adding some heat shield to the tank, which for most seems to really help out with this issue.

As for piston/rings, I was shocked when I saw in the manual they called for a rebuild at 90-100 hours on it....
I'm at 4500 miles and have no plans to replace them for some time to come. Jimmy Lewis told me he had 350 hours on his FE570 and in a recent tear down inspection everything looked great in the motor and required no parts to be replaced. He said he uses his as his woods trail bike.

Barton has "230 hours now (about 14,000km)" on his FE and it seems to be going strong. Follow along in his travels here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post18868676

My valves were still in spec at last inspection, soon to do another.
I believe for us non-racers we should see many miles of use before any serious engine work needed, as one of the reasons I bought a FE570, it seems to be common to have little maintenance and good longevity with these motors.

And if cyborg would quit screwing around in the snow, maybe he could show you his clean install of heat shield on his tank.

LostRider.com
Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #131
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
I'm always planning for The Big Ride, even if technically it might be a little ways off...
I'm getting ready to take off working abroad for months, when I return a long ride will be in order.
Did you get rid of the Stormtrooper GS or just add the Husaberg to the fleet?...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #132
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

No more GS, the Swedish Mistress now is fulfilling all my ADV bike desires, and then some.

It's such a joy to be doing some of the same riding with a bike that weights HALF of the STB, of course there's compromises in some areas like range/packing/maintenance intervals etc. but no amount of money thrown at the GS could shed it's weight by that much and I'm having lots of fun with the Husa too.
No regrets from the past, the GS took me pretty far out there, just time to move forward for me.
With many Husaberg owners getting their heads together, we're figuring out how to travel on the FE/FX's. (some people already have it figured out, and are living the dream, I'm just a slow learner) It's a super fun bike anywhere I ride it either way.

I would hate to try and get the 490 pound GS down from here while solo, as I usually have more courage than skill.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 04:43 PM
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #133
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
No more GS, the Swedish Mistress now is fulfilling all my ADV bike desires, and then some.

It's such a joy to be doing some of the same riding with a bike that weights HALF of the STB, of course there's compromises in some areas like range/packing/maintenance intervals etc. but no amount of money thrown at the GS could shed it's weight by that much and I'm having lots of fun with the Husa too.
No regrets from the past, the GS took me pretty far out there, just time to move forward for me.
With many Husaberg owners getting their heads together, we're figuring out how to travel on the FE/FX's. (some people already have it figured out, and are living the dream, I'm just a slow learner) It's a super fun bike anywhere I ride it either way.

I would hate to try and get the 490 pound GS down from here while solo, as I usually have more courage than skill.
Hey LOST, I'll raise your 1 down with 2 down

The Tool tube is holding up really well.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #134
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
In the end it doesn't matter what bike you ride. You are doing the important part....getting out there and exploring on two wheels.

Just curious about your comment on not wanting to ride a KTM. I'm a bit ignorant of the finer points between the Husa and the orange options. What do you see as the benefits of your new ride?

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #135
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
In the end it doesn't matter what bike you ride. You are doing the important part....getting out there and exploring on two wheels.

Just curious about your comment on not wanting to ride a KTM. I'm a bit ignorant of the finer points between the Husa and the orange options. What do you see as the benefits of your new ride?
True that.

Well, to put it simply, it's not Orange!
I surely don't want to turn this into any kind of KTM vs. Husa thread, I just have known I'll never buy an orange bike, no matter how many races they win. Yeah yeah, I know my FE has KTM parts all over it, but in the end it's not a KTM, only it gets the benefits of having some of the best components proven through years of KTM's experience and dealer network parts availability with a unique Swedish design.

In my eye's I went with the Husaberg for a few key reasons to be my go to ADV bike to travel on, first off - proven fuel injection. I don't know just squat about carbs, don't ever care to especially after riding a XR650R to Baja and back.... I swore I'd never have a kick start carb'd bike.... no need to go backwards in technology IMO as I feel with a good FI system like this and a few precautions like good fuel filtering it's something I don't need to mess with or suffer with when going from 0 to 13,000 feet. With the fuel injection comes great fuel efficiency too. 50 MPG on the roads.

Electric start and a big generator so I can run heated grips, GPS, a fan and HID light without worries of draining the battery.

Top notch suspension, brakes, etc OEM. I can pay up front now or after upgrading all the various crap over the long run with a different bike.

The whole 70 engine design philosophy intrigued me, and the more I read the more I liked it, it's turned out to be a great motor with a proven reliability and longevity, what's not to like? As a non-racer I can't say if the "mass-centralisation" and 70 motor makes a huge difference for my more casual riding, I just know it turns very nicely, pulls hard and predictably, and if for just a moment while riding fast through tight woods on single track I could almost feel the bikes heritage in it's intended environment. The fact that it's now an endangered species makes it that much more fun to have for me. As long as it works well, different that the rest is good by me.

Even when fully loaded with my camping gear and fuel it's still under 300 pounds, another requirement for my next ADV bike after the 8GS and the places I found myself wanting to ride.

Having a great Husaberg community online is just a bonus that I appreciate too.

Plus, it's Yellow and Blue!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 07:01 PM