User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #61
Ozmandrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
More Please!

Kudos to you inmates for bucking up & making this trip happen. Most just sit back & talk about someday. I've certainly been guilty as I've been trying to get Copper Canyon way for several years. MORE PLEASE!!
Ozmandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #62
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 466
Once we headed out of town we were suppose to make a left turn. Once I saw this stuck 4x4 in the road, I started to think we might have missed it.

Another 1 km down the road we were flagged down my a road crew drilling holes to blast in the new road. U-turn. Glad we did, as it was getting ugly quick. It would have been a blast on a 450 thou.

Once we got to rolling up the hill we would leap frog. The lead guy would ride hard for 20 minutes then wait until he saw #2 then take off. #2 would wait until he had sight of #3, etc. Monte stopped just inside the treeline, where I stopped to wait on John. A few minutes passed, nothing. Took my lid off to get some air and to listen for him... nothing. Uh-oh. I headed back down the hill to see if he found a Tecate stand. After a few miles I started to get really concerned. After about a 10 minute run I rounded a corner to see John's F8 on its side and him unpacking it to lightening it up a bit. Relief! This is the aftermath after we righted it and started to repack.As most of you know, the pic doesn't come close to showing the angle of the hill.

Great views thou!

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #63
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
Understated!

Great report! Wonderful pictures!

Having done this same road this month after you guys the other direction, I cannot but think how much harder and steeper it really is than the pictures show, especially for big bikes. How about the zigzags just before the summit along the cliff? Coming down I almost decided to jump as it would have saved me some time as I thought I would be going over the side eventually anyway!

And I am not sure why this is the "New" road. The only new sections I saw were the graded roads near the bottom at Batopilas and the zigzags just before the sign going down the other side. Everything else look old and worn to me.

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #64
Johnnydarock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
Great report! Wonderful pictures!

Having done this same road this month after you guys the other direction, I cannot but think how much harder and steeper it really is than the pictures show, especially for big bikes. How about the zigzags just before the summit along the cliff? Coming down I almost decided to jump as it would have saved me some time as I thought I would be going over the side eventually anyway!

And I am not sure why this is the "New" road. The only new sections I saw were the graded roads near the bottom at Batopilas and the zigzags just before the sign going down the other side. Everything else look old and worn to me.
Hey Soos: The "NEW" road is only a year old...but you wouldn't know it. The "OLD" way was a foot path. Yes...the pictures don't show how steep it was and we couldn't stop on the real shitty sections to take a picture...except for when I biffed it.

John
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #65
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 967
Fess up

I have to admit, I was navigating and missed the turn at colorado and led us into the nasty ass road construction and dynomite - But hey, kept it interesting and on our toes.

Should have known SOMETHING was up at the first woop section where johns bike took time out. Then the truck that was stuck - correction - stuck stucker than shit ready-to-roll-off-the-cliff, stuck!!!!! that probably should have been an indication we were some where we shouldn't be. John finangling his way by the truck THE SECOND TIME.

That little crevice where the truck is goes straight down to the river. Guessing someone had some soiled shorts over that ordeal
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #66
hazard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Had I not backed out of this trip, I'm guessin' it would have went like this:

Ride ahead 20 minutes, wait 20 minutes for hazard, ride ahead 20 minutes, wait 20 mintues for hazard, ride ahead 20 minutes, wait 40 minutes for hazard, go look for hazard, help pick hazard's pig of GSA of the ground and so on.....

Enjoying the report keep it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post

Once we got to rolling up the hill we would leap frog. The lead guy would ride hard for 20 minutes then wait until he saw #2 then take off. #2 would wait until he had sight of #3, etc. Monte stopped just inside the treeline, where I stopped to wait on John. A few minutes passed, nothing. Took my lid off to get some air and to listen for him... nothing. Uh-oh.

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #67
Montek
Eternal Noob

decay

The "NEW" road was really a glorified goat trail in some areas - narrow, steep, rocky comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, it was a fricken blast to ride. Enjoyed it so much, did a section of it 3 times. Up, down, up. I want to take this time to thank John and his bike for allowing that pleasure, it really was a blast. I much would have prefered to have done it by choice and not going back down to see Johns posessions on the road - glad you were alright. I gotta give props to John, he never once gave up, complained, wined, or indicated surrender - not in his vocabulary. Also, he stuck to riding his own ride and being safe. Had he pushed, really, if any of us pushed, things would go wrong real fast. So, good on you John . I also felt that first gear on Johns bike was awful tall for slow riding in tight places. With that in mind

The new road was also hot, hot, hot, and the landscape about 3/4's of the way up indicated how brutal that side of the mountain is. Dry, hot, dusty, and dead decaying species around us.

just over the seat of the tiger, dinsour remains i think-we were in the land of the lost

Damn it was hot, dry dusty!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #68
Montek
Eternal Noob

River

Where is the river, I'm hot!! We could see it, and it didn't really look that far, I was thinking another hour and we are there

See down there, thats where we are headed

Lead on John

See those switch backs waaaaay over there!!!!

Little did we know the NEW road would take us around and over some other canyons and mountains before we could get to those zig zags - Like about 2 hours worth of winding around.

Token tiger and sign shot. pretty proud of the cat in the canyon

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #69
Montek
Eternal Noob

River

Where in theee hell is the river??? My feet are on fire, my brain has swelled to an epic size within my helmut, even my oscar myer is over heated by all the engine heat - I need to cool off

See the road on the NEXT MOUNTAIN SIDE OVER, thats our down road to the river. Christ, this is a never ending road.

Finally the road looks good

Maybe we can make some time

But noooooo, It looked good but 2 things about it. It seemed loose, a hard surface with little pebbles on it made it sorta slippery - and, I don't know about the other 2 guys, but I was getting a little worn out, dehydrated, fricken hot and a little testy.

I know this doesn't look steep, but no matter what gear you were in, 1st, 2nd, 4th you soon came to the upper rev limits on this section without twisting the thottle

Next was a steep, dusty, rocky section with a couple inches of talc type stuff in the hair pin turns That lead to this

That stinking river was such a good sight

Next comes the crossing - Guys, we should all put our 2 cents in here. I'll write sweep

At this point, I am thinking we conquered the new road, It may have been a tad easier without the monster hangover from the night before. Note-if taking the new road, either drink more or not at all

Montek screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 02:14 PM
Montek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #70
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Ahh... this was the day we didn't carry enough water. And the first day it got really hot. Same night John and I got some killer leg cramps! That was one long day there. Had a blast thou. A new found respect for the natives that still live up there. They will be around long after the US as we know it is long gone. Tough bastards.

'13 KTM 500 XC-W
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #71
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Damn that water felt so good. I was seriously way too hot when we got there. I swear I heard the water sizzle a little when I stripped down and put my dawgs in it. Instant relief when I scooped it up and poured it over the back of my head. Priceless.

'13 KTM 500 XC-W
Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #72
Montek
Eternal Noob

degrees

Ya, hangover, not enough water, dehydration setting in, muscle cramps, HOTTER THAN A 2 DOLLAR PISTOL, (108 DEGREES F.) The river was good, and then I began thinking about adult liquid refreshments
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #73
mcgo104
Habitual Linestepper

Oddometer: 72
Nice. Very Nice. Gracias.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #74
IronHeart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
nice

It looks a little to technical for the old 1150gs, or at least a little above my pay grade
IronHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #75
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Damn, those are some sexy shirts! "Where in Texas y'all from?"

And Monte and I drank them descretely in the zocalo.
[/QUOTE]

'13 KTM 500 XC-W