User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #151
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
More Racer gloves added.

Not sure what the deal is with the new Advance gloves - sounds like... removable waterproof/insulating liners?
ranmafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #152
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmafan View Post
More Racer gloves added.

Not sure what the deal is with the new Advance gloves - sounds like... removable waterproof/insulating liners?
I think you can either put your hand in or above one of the layers depending on if you want any insulation on your palm. Several manufactures use the 2-1 gore tech. Klim Caldera I think also. FWIW, I've got the racer sicuro gloves. Quite satisfied with them.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #153
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I think you can either put your hand in or above one of the layers depending on if you want any insulation on your palm. Several manufactures use the 2-1 gore tech. Klim Caldera I think also. FWIW, I've got the racer sicuro gloves. Quite satisfied with them.
Ah, that makes more sense, thanks.

By the way, I took another look at Furygan's catalogue and realized most of their certification claims are most likely a blatant lie. They've got plenty of flimsy-looking shorty "racing gloves" that seem to be barely covering the wrist, let alone passing the "50mm past the wrist bone" requirement.

Apparently, hiring topless models (keep scrolling ) had a better ROI than real certification....

(Eska gloves also added. 90% sure they aren't properly certified, either.)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #154
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Clearly from viewing the catalog their top concern is safety, demonstrated by the helmetless chick on the back of a motorcycle pulling a helmetless dude on a skateboard.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #155
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

• Added Stylmartin boots
  • Updated Lindstrands boots (optional tests weren't mentioned on the website)
  • Added a sample EN13634 (boots) pictogram with some explanations

Reading the actual text of the standard, I saw no tests for ankle twisting protection. I wasn't aware of the so-called "transverse rigidity" test, however... Seems like a basic compression/crushing (e.g. by a bike landing on your foot) test - they put the whole boot between two plates and see how much force it takes to crush it.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #156
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Added Sidi boots.

Note the Doha all-fabric shorty model and Crossfire (offroad)...

EDIT: Also added Axo and Forma.

ranmafan screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:37 AM
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #157
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Furygan and SoubiraC's (French) jackets/pants/gloves removed from the list. Boots are *probably* okay.

Another case of misleading wording and improper documentation. While they saw some kind of testing, it wasn't EN13595 and almost certainly wasn't done in an authorized lab (admitted by at least one rep, apparently).

...which explains their choice of wording (e.g. "based on"), non-standard labels, unusually low prices and the sudden influx of "approved" models (some of which could not possibly pass the tests).

I'd love to be proven wrong, but so far none of the evidence is in their favour....
Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #158
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 602
i am naive but i just cant believe people are still perpetuating these sort of lies - i was still told by one of Rukka rep at a recent MC show the it's jacket is CE approved.

-----
on another note on airbag jacket - AFAIK, the proposed CE only refers to energy attenuation from an impact (much like those for protectors) - Buyers still need to take into other important factors - such as coverage and airbag deployment time.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #159
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
i am naive but i just cant believe people are still perpetuating these sort of lies - i was still told by one of Rukka rep at a recent MC show the it's jacket is CE approved.
Salesmen making stuff up as they go is hardly new, unfortunately. I don't expect them to go "You're right, our company has been deceiving customers all these years", but I wish they had the decency to not blatantly lie when faced with difficult questions.

Just curious, how did they word it, exactly? Did they quote any numbers/test results?

Quote:
on another note on airbag jacket - AFAIK, the proposed CE only refers to energy attenuation from an impact (much like those for protectors) - Buyers still need to take into other important factors - such as coverage and airbag deployment time.
Given the challenges with early (?) automotive airbags, I would also add something along the lines of "not liable to blow your head off upon deployment"...
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #160
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

the official australian distributor : "yes this Rukka Jacket is CE certified...." "you mean the protectors...."no the jacket itself...." "really?!" - at this point, i didnt say more, just walked away thinking its either gross ignorance or blatant deception.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #161
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
the official australian distributor : "yes this Rukka Jacket is CE certified...." "you mean the protectors...."no the jacket itself...." "really?!" - at this point, i didnt say more, just walked away thinking its either gross ignorance or blatant deception.
Well, who knows? It's extremely unlikely, but maybe they did actually sort it out, and marketing hasn't caught up yet.

Although if the data in the linked thread is to be believed, the material they're using (or used to use, at some point) fails the abrasion test miserably.

If any Rukka owners happen to spot a EN13595 tag with 3 numbers somewhere, please let us all know...
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #162
Spina
wannabe motorcyclist

Oddometer: 81
Hi, I would like to add Alpinestar Web Goretex boots, they're CE approved LV1 ( EN 13634 Liv 1 ).
Spina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #163
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spina View Post
Hi, I would like to add Alpinestar Web Goretex boots, they're CE approved LV1 ( EN 13634 Liv 1 ).
Thanks, updated. I mean.... the list was getting too long, so Alpinestars just has a general mention now :)

Also:

- added Dainese boots (pointed out via a PM).
- reread the article about Dainese Laguna Seca and updated description. The old one might have been harsher than necessary...
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #164
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dainese now has an entry in the gloves section, too.

Some of them are suspiciously cheap, though, even for an L1. The "short" models are also looking rather iffy.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #165
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

I thought Level 1 in boots EN 13634 are pretty useless?