Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
boyblu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadi View Post
My R 80 g/s died suddenly while running perfectly. We went over a big speed bump and the engine just died. The battery is fine, the starter motor turns fine, the lights, horn etc come on but the lady stands as still as Greek economy. I yanked and spray cleaned every cable and cable port I could reach, still nothing.

Ignition coils (latest bmw version) I measured gave a reading of 0,96 ohm for primary coil and 12,68 Kohm for the secondary coil. I 'm not really good with the multimeter and electronic stuff (I just tried to follow haynes guide lines as best as I could) so I don't trust my findings to indicate that I should fork the money for a new coil with any certainty. I just checked it cause adv wisdom states that when in bad weather or bumps airheads die of bad coils. Haynes states that the resistances should be between 1,15 -1,32 ohms for primary and 7,50 kohm -9,15 kohm.

I also guess that it couldn't be any spark plug or spark plug caps or their leads as it would be rather unlikely that they both fail together so no sign of engine poping goes on. Once I had a cut spark plug cable and the machine started poping with the one of the two cylinders. My wiring loom is also fairly new, I changed it a few years back.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Old airhead mandras?

What should be the proper priority I give to start suspecting components?
A similar situation I found the fuel tank shorting against the left-hand coil secondary (?) post.
boyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #32
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
OK Thanks

I did heat it up by drilling out the excisting rivets on the new sensor, I hope I haven't fried it, I 'll try to rivet (with easer rivet system) it since my two discs don't move a milimetre even by hammering.

Then I 'll keep you posted on the next ...catastrophy.
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #33
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyblu View Post
A similar situation I found the fuel tank shorting against the left-hand coil secondary (?) post.
Wow I 've had run the bike with both tanks (original and later paralever version) but I never saw it move so much as to touch the ignition coils. What version coils do you have?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #34
boyblu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Fuel tank touching coils

Quote:
Wow I 've had run the bike with both tanks (original and later paralever version) but I never saw it move so much as to touch the ignition coils. What version coils do you have?
If your spark coils are turned so the (I guess) primary (anyway, low votage) connections are outboard (instead of vertical) there is likelyhood that the tank will rub away the insulation over time (left-hand coil). It begins as "intermittant," the engine may even restart. But it's puzzling.
boyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #35
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Any fresh suggestions?

Well, new sensor in place, fresh gas in tank, and the lady has sparks in both plugs and gas but it wont start. I think it fires a little late. I mean that after many tries I have heard a small bang after I have unpressed the start button. Could it be that I have misstuned the bean can on reinstalation in some way?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #36
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,641
Sure sounds like a timing issue.... if you don't have a timing light, just move the sensor/timing a bit and see if it starts that way... then you'll want to find a timing light so that you can set it correctly

Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #37
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks man

I 've tried this untill the jumper cables connecting the lady to the cars battery overheated. No go. Is there a possibilitty to turn the bean can possition 180 degrees? connecting it back I noticed that its "teeth" are slightly offset and I took it as a guide. Could I have done something totally wrong so that I couldn't find the timing position by hand?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #38
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,173
Bean cans are fitted to an eccentric on the end of the cam shaft. Only one way they can fit. You have a limited amount of adjustment but not 180*.

If you are getting spark at the plugs the system is working. The issue sounds like timing. With the cover off move the bean can, move it some more, try it here and there. When it starts to act like it almost will start then just a little more will probably work. This is the crude way to do it. A timing light would work much better I think.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #39
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I Keep trying but...

...still no go. Could it be that the bike needs something extra since its dead for about 3 years? Is there any special treatment for bikes left sitting for too long?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #40
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 647
Cool2

ETHER into the airbox......Maybe you are NOT getting enough (any) FUEL, from the ENRICHER CIRCUT.
Try it.,.......You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #41
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,641
Ether is a great, easy and basic way to sort out "carb vs. spark" issues.... if it fires and runs for even a little bit, then you know that spark is present and working.

If it fires, pops and sputters, the spark is working, it just needs some finessing (timing, one cylinder only, etc)

And if it doesn't do diddly-squat with ether, you ain't got a spark!!

PS: one of these $6 tools is also a great way to see if you have any sparking:
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #42
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

well can it be that deceiving?

Since I put any plug against the cylinder an see the tiny sparks...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #43
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,173
Careful with either. I've used the stuff for years but maybe not recently. There was an old Toyota at the corner hardware store that wouldn't start last year and I told the guy to go in and buy a can of either. It wouldn't catch but it back fired and the air filter caught on fine and I had a hard time getting the pool of either out because the more I beat on it the more I spread the flames. Booooy was that one ungrateful customer! Not much damage, really.

Just be careful. Works best if you have the plastic tubes off and have somebody give a short blast as you hit the button.

Quote:
Since I put any plug against the cylinder an see the tiny sparks...
Sparks should be big and blue. Lotsa energy.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #44
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,161
How useful are these things when testing for spark?

Can they be installed and taken for a ride, or is is a stationary tester only?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLASHING-...item417810fb27

boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote