Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Hudson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Botched rear rack install

Hey folks,

I received my Adventure Designs rear rack today. I was just about finished installing it when the last screw started free-spinning. I can't get it in or out. I've tried all of the usual tricks, but it won't budge. I'd like to get the tail light assembly off so I can look up under the rack screws and see where the trouble is. Is there any way to get in there with the rack in place? I'm heading out to the garage to give it a shot.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

(sigh.. I haven't even had the bike two weeks yet and it's already busted.)

"They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-Terry Pratchett
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
same thing happened to me when installing the TT rear rack. I hit it with a hammer a bunch and it was then able to be removed while holding a screwdriver under it while turning the torqx driver on the bolt. If that doesn't work then you need to access it from below.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Hey folks,

I received my Adventure Designs rear rack today. I was just about finished installing it when the last screw started free-spinning. I can't get it in or out. I've tried all of the usual tricks, but it won't budge. I'd like to get the tail light assembly off so I can look up under the rack screws and see where the trouble is. Is there any way to get in there with the rack in place? I'm heading out to the garage to give it a shot.

You bought the wrong rack but let me help.

They're Rivnuts and it's definitely been about 1 in 100 that have less than perfect threads.

These two threads should give you your answers:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=rivnuts

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=rivnuts

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Hudson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
You bought the wrong rack but let me help.

Well I know I bought the wrong rack now don"t I

Thanks for the heads up. Having a broken rivnut explains the play I am feeling in the screw. It all makes sense now. I'll research how to get underneath and if I can't pull that off while the rack is in place then maybe my dealer can help out.

SenorMoto.. I tried the hammer. no joy. Thanks though.

As for now I'll leave it as is. Man.. this is gonna bug me.

"They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-Terry Pratchett
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
dalebor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
I had the same problem on my brand new F8 two summers ago. I never did figure out how to take the tail piece (it"s actually three pieces of plastic) off with a bolt stuck in a spinning rivet nut. I ended up using a hack saw to cut off the bolt between the partially installed rack and the plastic top tail piece. Then I could take off the plastic and get at the rivet nut. My dealer was completely useless in helping me with this. They didn't even know that the fastener in the frame was a rivet nut let alone where to get a new one. Eventually I figured it out for myself.

Dale B
dalebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Hey folks,

I had one of these almost break off. so i took the tail off, not hard at all, maybe 6 skews?

Then I JB Weld'ed the shit out of them.

These rear bolts aren't very beefy for putting any weight on them. So I figured id do this to both sides.

2012-04-12_12-21-38_46

2012-04-12_12-21-30_863
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Machete-LC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Had the same thing happen to me when I was installing my Jesse Bags. Huge disappointment! I ended up trying to use a Helicoil to try and re-thread but when I tried to drill it out it just spun in the frame and ended up breaking off the rive-nut. I ended up getting a wing nut and JB-Welded it to the frame as a replacement. Worked great! Maybe if you use a drill to spin your bolt it will break as well, very thin and soft material. Funny cause all the other nuts are welded into the frame except these which are highly likely to but used to anchor accessories. If you need help feel free to PM and leave your phone number.

Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
I had one spin on my '11 RT when installing a CB bracket. I had to drill it out. The dealer was very helpful and warranty claimed an entire new rear rack.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote