User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,482
DIY Custom seat fabrication

Well, here goes, I have been threatened by Russ and Lentil that if I don't start this thread that I may get banned from the site for life. saying that us ADVers must share tips and ideas to make it easier for everybody else.
This story is to stay exclusive to ADV, only previously heard around campfires. This info could lead to complete embarrassment to myself and my immediate family.

Since I started adventure riding a KLX650 I found out that I could I could only get about 250 klms under my belt before my butt started to get sore, so by the 500 klm mark I was trying to muffle screams of pain from being heard by the outside world. As you can see below the KLX650 seat is a good looking seat but not practical. Ok to go for a quick lap around an 80 klm loop in the forest once a month, but for an adventure rider, nope.

The original seat foam is really dense and holds its shape well, hard as a rock.
In 2009 when I rode to innamincka, I had to call into Clark rubber and buy a piece of offcut foam to try and improve my pathetic daily riding average to 500 klms, yes 500 what a joke.
I got attached to that little bit of foam that I named "Mr Softy", he was good as a pillow at night and after the 250 klm mark for the day I would grab Mr softy off my luggage and sit on him for the rest of the day. We had a great relationship and spent many thousands of klms touring the outback together, until one night after a late night drinking binge at Innamincka, me and Mr Softy had a dissagreement that ended up in a drunken brawl. The next day Mr Softy and I parted company and went our own seperate ways.

Here is a VERY rare pic of Mr Softy in 2009 riding shotgun.

Fogo72 screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:28 PM
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,394
I have been waiting for this thread to pop up!

you got any pics of the initial fabrication ?

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

After a couple of years I found this site and the quest to do the Longest day ride was allways in the back of my head. I knew the bike could do it and I could do it, but my ass and seat were going to argue the whole way.
I took the advice from others on this site about custom seat fabricators and chose to buy a second hand seat off Ebay and send it up to John Moorehouse for a rebuild, with strict instructions, 'If I cant sit on it for 1000 klms a day I don't want it back"
The seat came back and nice workmanship, wrong colour but John did say, " go and try it, dont put a sheepskin on it and run it in for 1500 klms to 2000 klms before you ring up and complain. Which I did, 5000 klms later, crap too hard must be something wrong with my ass cheeks.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post

Stay with me boys, it will come
Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post

must not post pics of hairy buttocks

ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
must not post pics of hairy buttocks

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

So anyway Junior and I took that seat to Poon last year and on the second day I did my personal best of 800 klms of dirt from Carinda to Mutiwinji NP near Broken Hill. BTW Aarons 2nd day ever, bloody little trooper.
So thinking of the Longest day ride fast approching, I was sitting on the front porch of my house having a beer thinking of what I could do, then I sore next doors tractor rusting away in the paddock. A grey Fergie TEA20 with the molded steel tractor seat. So I wandered over with my beer and jumped the fence and climbed aboard. Sitting on the rusty old seat I thought, " gee this is comfy" this is the shape I needed my seat to be the shape of my ass, How will I do that.
All night I couldn't sleep, trying to work out how I was going to make the seat on my bike the shape of my ass.
The next morning after Mum went to work and the kids went to school, I was going to unleash my cunning plan.

Fogo's Ass Mould......

Fogo72 screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 07:15 AM
Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

So I set off to the shed and got to work on my genius plan, even though the finer details had not completely been worked out.
I found a piece of plywood about 3 ft x 2 ft and I made up a 3 sided wooden frame and nailed it to it.
then I mixed up 10 kgs of plasterboard cornice cement and poored it into the mold and smoothed it out level.
With drying time now ticking away, I was now in a hurry cause if I didn'r get my ass in there quickly it was gunna dry. Looking at it I thought, "This needs to be as smooth as possiable, no undie lines, I'm gunna have to go nude for this one"
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

So I position an old milk crate infront of the bench that I had the mold sitting on and started to pull me strides down.
I had another look around and thought "GLADWRAP", So up with the strides and I run to the kitchen and steals mummies Gladwrap, and believe me I was glad I did.
I spread the glad wrap over the mould and got back into position, dropped the strides and thought, Bloody hell I better shut the roller door to the outside world, just if someone turns up. So down with the shed door and I gets back into position, up on the milk crate and both arms holding my weight hovering over the mold then I slowly lowered my fat hairy ass onto that Gladwrap. Oh it's cold.

Fogo72 screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:41 AM
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,710
AAAAAAAND
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

I slowly let the weight off my arms and down and down and down I went, with the plaster oozing up my ass crack and around my nuts, It was the most erotic feeling I have ever experienced, I think I even lost a few wrinkles in the old fella, I thought It would be a shame to waste such an intimate moment, then I looked around and saw my Cattle dog next to me, He was looking up at me with his head tilted to one side and one ear up and the other ear down and the look on his eyes said it all, "Your a sick prick"
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #12
Crofty
Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer: 595
This is going to be epic
1995 WR 250Z
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

After ten or so minutes sitting in the riding position I started to get myself outta there. No blow out, the Glad wrap had done its job.
Pleased with my efforts I peeled off the Gladwrap to let the plaster dry and waited for my kids to get home from school. My sons got home from school and all excited we headed to the shed for a suprise, and a suprise it was. Listening in fasination, I proudly told the story. Then my son mark says " gee Dad that looks comfy, it even has a little dent in the top between your legs for your nuts.

This was the mold after I pulled a fiberglass shell out of it.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #14
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

After the plaster dried I set to work laying fiberglass in it, to make a shell. 3 good thick layers did the trick. After letting the fiberglass dry I popped the shell out of it and got to work trimming it down, marking a centre line and trying to get it to sit on the seat base. Once I was happy with the shape I mixed up some more cornice cement and mixed up chopped fiberglass matting with it for strength. I got a couple of big handfulls of cornice cement and sat it on top of the seat base then pushed the fiberglass shell into it and checked the alignment by eye and left to dry over night.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
After the plaster dried I set to work laying fiberglass in it, to make a shell. 3 good thick layers did the trick. After letting the fiberglass dry I popped the shell out of it and got to work trimming it down, marking a centre line and trying to get it to sit on the seat base. Once I was happy with the shape I mixed up some more cornice cement and mixed up chopped fiberglass matting with it for strength. I got a couple of big handfulls of cornice cement and sat it on top of the seat base then pushed the fiberglass shell into it and checked the alignment by eye and left to dry over night.

ya know, that looks remarkably like a te20 seat
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote