User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #46
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Oddometer: 202
Bump.

Any news on this. Looking to get rid of the airbox and put some k&n's on.
M.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #47
Navin OP
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,580
I'm still on the K&Ns, Unis are on the bench for now. I rode it about 75 miles today, runs like a champ! I haven't gotten any richer mains to try, don't think I need to. There isn't a stitch of lean "feeling" throttle at any RPM. Starets, idles and revs spot on, steady cruise at any RPM with no hunting at all.

I sold my airbox the other day, not going back for sure!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
Locker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Just abused the CPR set up for the M1K. Worked amazing and jetting is being finalized as we speak. 2200 miles of Baja, 1 filter! Stay tuned for pics.
Locker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #49
M.Mars
híppos leukós

awesome. thats what i like to hear!

@Navin ... How did you secure the filters to the carbs? Did you mess around with the trumpets so the filters can fit over them or just used safety wire like it is on the photo. Also, what did you do with the balancer shaft vacuum hose. Just put a little filter on it, or blocked it off?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #50
Navin OP
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Mars View Post
awesome. thats what i like to hear!

@Navin ... How did you secure the filters to the carbs? Did you mess around with the trumpets so the filters can fit over them or just used safety wire like it is on the photo. Also, what did you do with the balancer shaft vacuum hose. Just put a little filter on it, or blocked it off?

Thanks in advance

I cut the trumpets and did a little safety wire to lock them in. I filtered the crankcase breather, is that what you mean?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #51
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Yeah thats exactly it. Thank you very much ... I guess I have some jets and filters to order
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #52
Navin OP
Unwounding

Update!

I got a few sizes up in main jets to test and tossed in the #170s.

Well, well, well, she revs like crazy right to the limiter. It is hard to shift fast enough now from 1st to second. I was able to notice a little lean feel right up at the top of the range with the stock H2W mains, just be3fore the limiter and in a range I don't normally ride anyway. I can't even read them but think they were in the 157 range???

***CORECTION*** I had put 160s in there at the start of this experiment. The original H2W mains were super lean.***

I thought it might be the cams signing off, nope .

Screams like a banshee now. Bottom end power picks up great, mid has a smooth hit and up top is pure happiness. I have some 165 and 175s too, doubt I'll even try them unless I get very bored or feel a difference with cooler temps. I also deleted the vent line Y that had the "correct" length hoses. They are now 4" long and out of the way. I've got no hunting/surging or odd fueling so I'm thinking all the talk of CV carbs needing to be pressurized in the airbox was BS. That thing wasn't airtight anyway. I don't recall any other bikes with CV carbs trapped in a box either, they seem OK.

The K&N filters are staying put, each has a wrap of safety wire to the carb rail to prevent them from twisting and unlocking. I may experiment with an epoxy to glue the trumpets to the carbs but again, only if I get really bored or have it apart anyway.

Bottom line, great results, easier to deal with and it is seat of the pants quicker than before by a good margin.

Navin screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 02:19 PM
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #53
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Update!

I got a few sizes up in main jets to test and tossed in the #170s.

Well, well, well, she revs like crazy right to the limiter. It is hard to shift fast enough now from 1st to second. I was able to notice a little lean feel right up at the top of the range with the stock H2W mains, just be3fore the limiter and in a range I don't normally ride anyway. I can't even read them but think they were in the 157 range???

***CORECTION*** I had put 160s in there at the start of this experiment. The original H2W mains were super lean.***

I thought it might be the cams signing off, nope .

Screams like a banshee now. Bottom end power picks up great, mid has a smooth hit and up top is pure happiness. I have some 165 and 175s too, doubt I'll even try them unless I get very bored or feel a difference with cooler temps. I also deleted the vent line Y that had the "correct" length hoses. They are now 4" long and out of the way. I've got no hunting/surging or odd fueling so I'm thinking all the talk of CV carbs needing to be pressurized in the airbox was BS. That thing wasn't airtight anyway. I don't recall any other bikes with CV carbs trapped in a box either, they seem OK.

The K&N filters are staying put, each has a wrap of safety wire to the carb rail to prevent them from twisting and unlocking. I may experiment with an epoxy to glue the trumpets to the carbs but again, only if I get really bored or have it apart anyway.

Bottom line, great results, easier to deal with and it is seat of the pants quicker than before by a good margin.
I was thinking today what has happened to this thread!
What have you done with the trumpets?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #54
Navin OP
Unwounding

Still as I had them before. I chopped them down a bit, clamped on the K&Ns and used the tail end of the clamp to thread my safety wire thru and lock them into place after they twist on. I was riding it as it was and only felt the lean spot if I cruised up in the RPMs where I never would ride steady anyway, hence the delay. I finally needed some stuff from RM-ATV so I added the jets to my order.

To remove the filters for cleaning I simply pop off the seat, snip the safety wire and twist them off. If I end up with permenant mounting for the trumpets I'll be able to just loosen the clamps and pull the filters out.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #55
millahtime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I'm new to 950's and to KTM's too

but I spent a whole lotta time on a Suzy bandit 1200, which have their own cult following and uber performance increases.

they too are a CV Keihin carbed bike (which are allegedly needy of airboxes), and there are tons and tons of bandits running pods due to the sizeable performance increase. i did have to drop a set of different tapered needles in, but man i loved that bike.

no flat spots, no hesitation, i walked the jetting right up towards getting just a hint of decel pop, and it rode like a raped ape.

so anyway, i'm new here and reading the OC posts with open ears, but this, "no pods, you need your airbox for a cv carb" just doesn't make sense to me.

now i just need to talk Dale Walker of Holeshot, the bandit/SV650/GSXR guru extraordinaire into making slip ons and jet kits for out bikes.

my two bits, opine as you wish.
millahtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #56
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by millahtime View Post
now i just need to talk Dale Walker of Holeshot, the bandit/SV650/GSXR guru extraordinaire into making slip ons and jet kits for out bikes.
I say that is a very good idea!

And I would strongly recommend to work around a choice of pods which
a) can also fit the 950SE (less carb intake to tank distance, and
b) can take a decent choice of oiled prefilter skins for those extra dirty days.

mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #57
Navin OP
Unwounding

Wrong thread, looking for FCR advice, moved it there. Sorry!

Navin screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 02:13 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #58
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
>SNIP<
So, anyone using a FPR with FCRs?
FPR? Whats that?
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
Navin OP
Unwounding

Fuel pressure regulator and I put my last post in the wrong thread, sorry if it confused anyone. I meant for it to go in my FCR review thread.