ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,333
Man you're a brave man starting a thread like this one here. I'd suggest you find a bobber forum & share cos I don't think you'll get much positive feedback here.
I personally think it'll look quite cool & wish you luck, as with most projects you'll have a lot of fun (& frustration). Just don't expect much support from here
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,313
It's your bike, build it the way you want. More power to you for stepping outside of the box. I'm in the process of building to Airhead bobbers and one is a rigid frame. Keep up the creative work
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Lvl. 29 Adventurer
Garage Inmate
 
Lvl. 29 Adventurer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 44
Don't listen to the party poopers

Bah... don't listen to the purists. Turn it into what you like, even if it isn't popular. Its just like with Mosin nagant rifles... people say they're a piece of history which shouldn't be changed and blah blah blah. What they don't mention is that they were produced in the millions and are now sold for $79 at the local pawn shops. But they are terribly heavy brutes that can be hard to hunt with. If you 'bubba it' to your liking you get razzed for it by collectors, even though the mods make it more appealing and useful to you. But then again I cheated and bought 2 and left one original.

While I do appreciate things being left historically accurate, it is your bike and not a museum piece. Besides, you can always rebuild it to stock if this fails. Some adventures happen in the garage.... Post pics!

(but find a good home for the stock parts you are going to get rid of so a collector can restore his ride. I have an older bike and sometimes parts are scarce in good condition)
__________________
Perpetually fixing a Yamaha XT600 as old as I am...
Lvl. 29 Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rambozo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: N. Ireland
Oddometer: 375
i dont much like bobbers at all, but i'm not keeping any of my airheads standard either so each to their own

if you want a bobber build one, maybe you might be able to help out others going down that road

i think you'll be fine as long as you don't decide to call yourself a "designer", that does not seem to go down well round here, good luck with it!
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
FUTURE OP
Left right out
 
FUTURE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Exiled from Democratic Republic of Bingistan
Oddometer: 742
I am not worried about support or not here. I am also on some chopper/bobber forums too.

Fuel tank thoughts.

What if fuel tank was under the seat where the battery lives? Not too low that gravity still can't feed fuel to the carbs.

Then I would have all that ugly electric stuff on the frame top tube that I could shroud over with sheet alloy. Kinda like a squashed diamond shape. Or squashed stretched coffin tank shape. Very thin. Maybe have this shroud flow into the tank under the seat. Off this shroud towards the front of the bike would come the headlamp. I hope the scibble below will give you an idea of what I am proposing?



The headlamp off to one side is inspired by Shinya Kimura's 74 Ducati 'flash'



This is the fairing for his Duc ... I want that kinda look but coming from the 'dummy' tank with the headlamp to one side.



Top down on what I would like it to look like...

__________________
Me WnRn blog.....http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
"el Lobo" 2002 1200 Bandit... For sale
1971 Honda CL450 being brat'ed/cafe raced.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,320
If you weren't riding it, couldn't sell it, and it was just sitting, that wasn't a functional bike as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad you are moving forward with the build, and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I think the low bars will really be complimented by the low cylinders on the airhead. I love that steampunkish bike with the custom headlight, too.

The offset headlight is wierd, even for my tastes, so now I'm looking forward to it even more.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
R100LT
Chasing 11
 
R100LT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Donnybrook Western Australia
Oddometer: 602
" Same Model .. Same Colour ... Two Men in the Same country ... on the other side from each other not just in location .. but in direction.

One takes the bobber road .. the other going for a bagger look. "

I think Ross and I should just bite the bullet and buy Harley's and just park them in the " Pool Room " and every couple of Sunday's roll them onto the drive way and polish the chrome.

But then again .. where is the fun in becoming a sheep .

PS .. I did try to buy and save this bike so I could have matching bikes in the drive way ... transport from Sydney to Perth was just too restrictive.
__________________
BMW R100LT 93 BMW R100RS 91 BMW K1100LT SE 94 76 R90S
R100LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #23
FUTURE OP
Left right out
 
FUTURE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Exiled from Democratic Republic of Bingistan
Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post
" Same Model .. Same Colour ... Two Men in the Same country ... on the other side from each other not just in location .. but in direction.

One takes the bobber road .. the other going for a bagger look. "

I think Ross and I should just bite the bullet and buy Harley's and just park them in the " Pool Room " and every couple of Sunday's roll them onto the drive way and polish the chrome.

But then again .. where is the fun in becoming a sheep .

PS .. I did try to buy and save this bike so I could have matching bikes in the drive way ... transport from Sydney to Perth was just too restrictive.
Hi mate. No Harley for me thank you as i would not have a barrrrr of it.

Yes if shipping costs had not been so bloody expensive you could have had Sophie.
__________________
Me WnRn blog.....http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
"el Lobo" 2002 1200 Bandit... For sale
1971 Honda CL450 being brat'ed/cafe raced.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #24
R100LT
Chasing 11
 
R100LT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Donnybrook Western Australia
Oddometer: 602
I am too afraid show Ebony pictures of Sophie... seeing her twin sister like that ... I will just have to comfort her with some more speakers ( 4 new 5 x7 " arrived this week to go with the 2 6 x9" for the Wixom panniers )

Yes I know what you guys are thinking ... I should be putting a couple more sub woofers in and not 5x7"s ... Thats what you were thinking .. right ????
__________________
BMW R100LT 93 BMW R100RS 91 BMW K1100LT SE 94 76 R90S
R100LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
FUTURE OP
Left right out
 
FUTURE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Exiled from Democratic Republic of Bingistan
Oddometer: 742
Started work on the seat base. Keepng with the "Industrial" look to the build. Either like it is the photos below or cut and welded to make the front more tapered. It will have a small aluminium base put onto this as well. This will have a small leather pad attached to it. I intend that you will be able to still see some of the grating when you look down at the seat pad. Grating will be either painted black or will be roughed up and allowed to rust and dull a bit then a clear coat over that to retain the forced aging looking.

Thinking a curved cross bar between the two rear down tubes and a single seat shockie mounted off this for the seat to have movement and springing.

Rear sub frame was put back on just to allow the seat base to have something to sit on.





Above was yesterday.

This morning...

Seat base is getting there now. Fuck I love making metal into the shape I want.







One happy metal worker.



Fuel tank thoughts....

Quote:
"Dingo" from another forum I post on....2 seperate pipe style tanks similar to this.Just bigger.
[url=http://postimage.org/]
[quote]"Cricky" again from a different forum I post on ....].

If you like the 'twin tube' thing (and I do) you could quite easily mount your headlights inside the front ends of those tubes with the speedo Frenched into a top single tube to cover the electrics...
__________________
Me WnRn blog.....http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
"el Lobo" 2002 1200 Bandit... For sale
1971 Honda CL450 being brat'ed/cafe raced.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #26
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer
 
pbarmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Great Black Swamp
Oddometer: 1,818
Yeah,just do it!All these nay-sayers should step up and buy my super rare,collectable R100R/T before it meets the same fate!
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Leadnuts
do-over...
 
Leadnuts's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: KCMO
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
I am not worried about support or not here. :

The headlamp off to one side is inspired by Shinya Kimura's 74 Ducati 'flash'


I wouldn't be, though I'm not entirely sure of what makes a "Bobber" a "Bobber".... I can say this.. If you are inspired by that bike above then I say full steam ahead! Because that bike is so AWSOME I think my eyes may fall out. (steam punkish looking) Damnit I want that bike.


I am ALL ABOUT asymmetry. I cannot wait to see what happens after seeing your drawing and inspiration behind it.
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
JamesG
Rabid Poster
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
It's your bike, build it the way you want. More power to you for stepping outside of the box.
Yeah, just like all the other bobber memes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
Started work on the seat base. Keepng with the "Industrial" look to the build. Either like it is the photos below or cut and welded to make the front more tapered. It will have a small aluminium base put onto this as well. This will have a small leather pad attached to it.





Above was yesterday.

This morning...

Seat base is getting there now. Fuck I love making metal into the shape I want.





You should leave it the exposed grate so that the seat is as practical and functional as the rest of the "modifications" you're doing.

Don't forget to hack saw the mufflers off to have shorty straight pipes to piss everyone within a mile of you off.

Quote:
One happy metal worker.
.
That's not the adjective I'd use...
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,333
I basically stripped most of the electrics off my R80GS & left the bare necessities. I lost the load shedding relay, horn relay changed the starter relay to new generic one, replaced huge flasher unit for small LED type one, lost big battery & replaced with small motobatt lying sideways under the seat. With a bit of creative wiring you could hide a hell of a lot of the stuff that would give you a blank slate for wrapping your tank either under or around the main frame.
If it's a bobber & realistically you arent going to do more than the odd bar/cafe run then a small brass tank running sideways would look quite cool I reckon.

I was looking at how to hide cables in the handlebars & frame to really get a minimalist look but thought it impractical for a dirt bike. When you take all the crap off the bars they look so good bare it's a shame to ruin them with cables etc. I personally like the pommy chopper designer Russel someones design of a twistgrip clutch on the LHS that has hidden cables.

Check out what Boxer Odyssey did to replace his airbox. Caution the following thread contains extreme coolness

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=boxer+odyssey

Rock on with your bad self!
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
FUTURE OP
Left right out
 
FUTURE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Exiled from Democratic Republic of Bingistan
Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I basically stripped most of the electrics off my R80GS & left the bare necessities. I lost the load shedding relay, horn relay changed the starter relay to new generic one, replaced huge flasher unit for small LED type one, lost big battery & replaced with small motobatt lying sideways under the seat. With a bit of creative wiring you could hide a hell of a lot of the stuff that would give you a blank slate for wrapping your tank either under or around the main frame.
If it's a bobber & realistically you arent going to do more than the odd bar/cafe run then a small brass tank running sideways would look quite cool I reckon.

I was looking at how to hide cables in the handlebars & frame to really get a minimalist look but thought it impractical for a dirt bike. When you take all the crap off the bars they look so good bare it's a shame to ruin them with cables etc. I personally like the pommy chopper designer Russel someones design of a twistgrip clutch on the LHS that has hidden cables.

Check out what Boxer Odyssey did to replace his airbox. Caution the following thread contains extreme coolness

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=boxer+odyssey

Rock on with your bad self!
Cheers for that mate. I would so love to get rid of the switch blocks off the handle bars. It is in my section of what to do. Thanks for the link too. Amazing build.
__________________
Me WnRn blog.....http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
"el Lobo" 2002 1200 Bandit... For sale
1971 Honda CL450 being brat'ed/cafe raced.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014