Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #46
FUTURE OP
Left right out

Oddometer: 742
I have no probs with people airing what they think about what I am doing. If i did I would not post about this bobbing.

The seat will get 2 strips of padding added to it.
2009 Triumph Speedmaster.
FUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #47
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Another art lover - Subscribed.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #48
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 454
I do not understand folks who don't like bobbers visiting this thread and then commenting but I guess everybody needs something to complain about, even me. Go ahead and build the bike of your dreams, there are tons of museum pieces already safe in their displays and not being ridden. I'm always eager to see what other riders think is the proper personalization of their rides.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #49
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Old roadie,

Not many mono airheads being collected and being put into displays. I think.

Do you really think that a Bobber is really going to be ridden much further than 50 miles from home?

The issue that I have about the bobber thing is that it is only a fashion and ends up with a bike that won't work that well on the road. Yes there can be some really good Bobber type bikes such as the Koln bobber, that bike exhibits really great workmanship and with that I can forgive the truth that the bike won't be as great to ride as a standard bike.

Neither of my bikes are stock, they may look stock to some people, but have been modified to be better bikes, on the road, where it counts.

I'm trying to decide which bike to take to Spain next week. Hopefully it will have stopped raining by then.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
I have been pondering what to do to my BM. I have tried to sell it. Didn't really try hard to do this.

I have decided at having a go at semi bobbing it. This will not be a quick flash in the pan project.

This is what I have done so far today.

This is what has inspired me. Mine will be matt black. I am thinking of smaller tank for mine like this one. I know bobbers are supposed to have no front guard. Mine will have a very small one. I have my eye on a solo saddle for it already.

I think this is what i may end up building myself, i have a daughter that has just turned 18 and is about to go from a red 'P' licance to a green 'P' licance and told me she can now learn and go for a motorcycle licence. Now i have 3 bikes in my shed at home and the daughter is looking at them and says that is to big, the 1100GS, that is to tall, the 100GS and looks at my old bike and sits on it and tells me this will do me dad i can touch the ground ok on this and its not to big. This bike.

I say i dont think so, it has its little qurks that a 40 year old bike has, right shift, 1 up 4 down, 4 leader drum brakes that i know how they work, just not a learner bike. Then a friend comes along and has a R65 that has a few bits missing to give away and i see this and think a stripped down R65 would be an ideal learner for my daughter. I am trying to install the BMW bug as well but i am sure that will happen all by its self.

When she learns to ride ok and wants to get out a bit more i have a 1969 R60/5 and a 1971 R60/5 in storage at her older sisters place in the Netherlands that a Europe trip could be in order. May need a fleet of them as i have 4 daughters, thats why i have a shed.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
The issue that I have about the bobber thing is that it is only a fashion and ends up with a bike that won't work that well on the road.
Thanks for confirming my original point. As to the 50 mile range, only the end user can comment on that.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #52
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
Everyone sell your airheads.
Buy a bike made in the last decade.
Probably made in Japan.
Have the best performance for the least expense.
Better yet, buy a small efficient car.

Or maybe there's something else to wanting to own and ride a bike of a particular look and feel beyond supposed function.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #53
FUTURE OP
Left right out

Started making some footpegs today. Keeping with the "industrial" feel of the bike. Used the left over grating from the seat. Not that there was anything wrong with my original BMW pegs. Just wanted to keep it looking like a garage/garbage dump build.

Cut some notches in them. Somehow I don't think Tourtech will add these to their catalogue.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #54
larryscustomcycles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Seriously mate, those pegs are just dangerous, you stand up for a bump on those and its going to be a huge crash when your foot hits the ground.

The seat looks uncomfortable, but its not going to cause you serious injury...just please rethink the pegs.
larryscustomcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #55
FUTURE OP
Left right out

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryscustomcycles View Post
Seriously mate, those pegs are just dangerous, you stand up for a bump on those and its going to be a huge crash when your foot hits the ground.

The seat looks uncomfortable, but its not going to cause you serious injury...just please rethink the pegs.
They are no where near finished yet. I am going to run a way longer bolt through them. This is just the start on the pegs.

The seat will have two small leather covered pads on it too. Leather has been bought and is on its way to me.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #56
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
hope

hope your going to weld a bit of plate on the back side of those foot rests... they make me nervous just looking at them.

Maybe some aluminum BMX pedals will do what you want with a little more rigidity.

Leadnuts screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 05:24 PM
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #57
FUTURE OP
Left right out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadnuts View Post
hope your going to weld a bit of plate on the back side of those foot rests... they make me nervous just looking at them.

Maybe some aluminum BMX pedals will do what you want with a little more rigidity.

I am going to have a smaller bolt as well as the main bolt to hold them on. I will be removing the spacer. Also the main bolt will be way longer to help stop these pegs from bending when I put my weight on them.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #58
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I wish i had the guts and skill to do something with my 85 R80.
I bought it last year and have been sorting it out , going through the normal stuff required on any older bike purchase plus I had to rebuild the transmission.
Right now i am set up for touring, but have plans for a mild cafe' style that allows for an old man with aching back to still ride it further than he probably should after this summer.

Your bike , your vision, your money, do with it as you please.
If others don't like the look , then they should treat it like a TV and either turn off the power or change the channel.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #59
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
The airhead does look good when done cafe style but as a bobber...no. But each to his own, now I'm going to throw up.

limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #60
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
If someone doesn't like criticism, it's best to NOT display an item to be critiqued.
If you like it, right on!
If you don't like to hear other peoples opinions on a publicly displayed item, well, it's time to move on.

+1

The only person it needs to make happy is you. (Unless of course you try and sell it )

Rock On.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote