User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Martynho OP
No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer: 407
KTM 690 Enduro engine life

Sorry I have no 690 knowledge at all, I am Martyn and I am a refugee from the 990 forum.

I have a friend visiting here in Chile on a 690 enduro, basically her engine grenaded after 90,000 kms and needed a new piston and barrell. No worries guys it was dealer inflicted injury.

They have told us that the rebuild needs a new con rod also, as KTM recommend this to be changed at 60,000 kms.

Can anyone here comment on the veracity of this, also any experiences of 690 engine life.

Cheers - Martyn
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Hey Don Martyn,

Sorry to hear about SJs bike blowing up! What happened with it?

I think she was the rider with the most miles on a 690, there are not many others that have more than 30k.

There was a test by a German magazine that ran a 690 SM (same engine) for 50.000 kms and then disassembled the engine, maybe use Google translate: http://www.motorradonline.de/de/moto...-690-sm/269735

I'd say 90.000kms is ok as life expectancy of such a high performance single engine, although it could have been longer since SJ was gentle with it. But as a comparison it's about 30% lighter yet puts out about 30% more power than the BMW/Rotax 650, so something's gotta give...

Lukas

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,394
Based on experience with my earlier LC4 I would be inclined to replace the rod & big end if doing a top end at anywhere past 60K km & planning to keep the bike a while. Mine did 95K km before a rebuild but the valves, cam, piston & big end were all well worn at that point. My cylinder was fine, but push a worn out piston too far & it may trash the bore...

KTM have likely engineered a few reliability improvements into the 690 LC4 over the 640, but it makes a good bit more power too.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote