Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
MattySull OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
First bike, R65

Hi folks,
I bought my first bike this weekend, a 1980 R65 with 60k on the clock and a halfway decent set of Krauser bags. It's got Work performance shocks I've never heard of, one is leaking. An aftermarket oil cooler which is nice. Horrid sofa seat I'll sell off soon. Great fork seals, faded paint, nice clean oil and no oil on the plugs but it does smoke quite a bit which makes me think it runs rich. I did observe the original crosshatching on the cylinders when it was initially blueprinted, worn, but there.
I'd give it another 20-40k and some minor rebuilding will have to be done.

I tend to be mechanically inclined (which airhead owner isn't?) so I feel like taking on an older bike won't be much of a problem. It has a pushrod seal leak I wanted to ask about. I don't know if I have to replace the whole tube or just a seal. There isn't much oil leaking but it does seep out of there. The R65 came with the original owners manual...and the kicker....a BMW issued service manual. It is almost the reason I bought the bike.

I'll post some pictures later once I take them with something other than a phone.

I've been lurking for a long time so thanks for providing me with an enormous amount of information as this is currently my go-to airhead site.
MattySull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,910
It's funny, while at a dealership today I was looking at a neglected r65 parked by the service entrance & thought it would make a nice little project. I hope you enjoy yours!

The service manual is always a nice bonus.

Pushrod tube seals are just that, a seal where the tube meets the case-good way to get acquainted...
Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Matty,

Good luck with the anticipated projects. Replacing the pushrod tube seals is not complicated but some attention to detail is needed. I highly recommend Oak's Top End Manual to take you through this process if you want a step by step guide with sketches. The tubes normally will not need to be replaced, only the tube seals unless there is damage or press fitment problems with the tubes. Keep us in the loop with your project - you'll get good help here by many experienced wrenches. Here's a few picture links to my 650 restoration project to let you know what to expect. The 650's are a fun little bike!

Top End Disassembly:
http://tinyurl.com/8xrq5ss

Top End Assembly Lt.:
http://tinyurl.com/4qsgq62

Top End assembly Rt.:
http://tinyurl.com/3e6t87j
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,070
Welcome to the Asylum. Do fill out your profile so we'll know more about you.

Back then I always considered the R65 as a "BMW Lite", not for serious consumption. But they are fun bikes... that first misimpression was from the stodgy era that also considered the Toaster tacky. We've since mellowed a bit. :)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Bill, good points about the 650. I feel like there's been a resurgence of the R65 and a new appreciation lately. I see a lot of them on the road these days, just yesterday at the La Mesa Tech Session there were 3 or 4 among their larger siblings with smiling owners operating them. I happen to be a very happy owner of one. I originally purchased mine for my wife but after the total restoration and some spirited miles in the saddle I'm not giving it up (the bike) to her. At least until she is endorsed and properly trained by someone other than myself. These bikes are fun to ride, quick, nimble, and responsive with their short wheel base and oversquare engine design. The motors love to spin and seem to come alive at around 5300 rpm and will cruise all day at 70mph speeds and above. The dual disc ATE's work amazingly well, wish I had the same braking abilities for my /7.

Matty, I think you're going to love this bike!
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,962
My experience was similar - got my first R65 to fix up and re-sell, but fell in love. Once I finally did sell it, missed it, and a couple years later replaced it.

Glad to have another 650 owner aboard! Welcome!

If the pushrod seal is only weeping a little, just ride it for now. It's even possible it'll stop after a bit - if the bike sat for very long it's common for little leaks to develop that go away with use.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
They're wretched, anemic little bikes, totally unsuited to any kind of long-distance travel.

baldwithglasses screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 01:03 PM Reason: I was swallowed by monkeys. Again.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
MattySull OP
Adventurer

Mike V, thanks for the tip on pushrod seals. I'll eventually get to some engine work.

I'd hate to disappoint the airhead forums but this bike will probably be done in a mild cafe style.

Clip-ons, minimalistic gauge, rear sets, cafe type seat, maybe new louder mufflers.
That is probably the extent of modifications I don't intend to strip it of everything like a cafe racer is supposed to be but instead keep the engine mostly stock, battery in stock place, side covers on and I do intend to keep most of the rear fender in place. I'd like to think of it as a spiced up BMW instead of stripped down. I often see cafe racer airheads on here and find that the amount of open space leave me feeling like too much was done.

Anyway I'll keep you folks posted on any progress. Thanks for all the advice and warm welcomes.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,659
Works performance are good shocks, basic but solid.... send 'em back to works for a re-build and have 'e, spring to your weight

http://www.worksperformance.com/html..._services.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,070
Quote:
...but this bike will probably be done in a mild cafe style.
(stodgy old look)

As best you can, try to recycle the original, OEM parts back into R65 restorations so that the old parts can breathe life into old bikes.

And keep us advised om the progress... :)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I love my R65LS, low and sleek enough to plant both feet flat at lights. Best looking BMW tank too IMO. Wish it was faster though.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
MattySull OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
(stodgy old look)

As best you can, try to recycle the original, OEM parts back into R65 restorations so that the old parts can breathe life into old bikes.

And keep us advised om the progress... :)
Absolutely, There isn't many true R65 parts I'd take off other than the cluster, bars and stainless exhaust.

I sourced a seat I really like, It is sleek but not a cafe seat which is fine in my book.
When emailing the guy says it does hold 2 people so I imagine it is as long as a stock seat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Airhead-...item5d30061141

Anyone in the market for a lay-z-boy R65 seat?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Mtl-Marc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySull View Post
I sourced a seat I really like, It is sleek but not a cafe seat which is fine in my book.
When emailing the guy says it does hold 2 people so I imagine it is as long as a stock seat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Airhead-...item5d30061141

Anyone in the market for a lay-z-boy R65 seat?

Ugh, I bought an R65 seat from that seller. Cheapest vinyl ever that ripped apart the first time I tried to install it.

For the same price, I found a local upholsterer who will do the job with quality material.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
MattySull OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
Ugh, I bought an R65 seat from that seller. Cheapest vinyl ever that ripped apart the first time I tried to install it.

For the same price, I found a local upholsterer who will do the job with quality material.
Well, I sure wish I came here to see if anyone had it first.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Welcome to the R-65... Their is something that compells one to buy it, fix it up, and resell it..

The you find out it's just a hoot to ride.....No, It's not fast.. But something about it makes it fun...

So you wind up keeping it....

As far as the pushrod seal goes.. You have to basically pull the head and slide the cylinder far enough out to get the new seal in there.. Then just slide it all back together, Reinstall and GENTLY torque the head, Reset the valves and off you go..

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a good torque wrench and gently bring the studs up to almost the recommend value... Almost... Many have pulled a stud by being less than extreeeeeeeeeeemly careful....

Have fun...

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote