ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #91
barefootbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hi, my name is Bob. I currently live in Ca. My gal and I are so getting tired of Ca. bullshit and are looking at moving to Nebraska, we have family in S. Dakota but we want to be a little south of that. We ride a V-Strom dl1000 for adventure rides and I like to ride single track on my dirt bike.
Tell me about Nebraska, what's a good city to live in close to some good single track riding, adventure riding work and fair priced real estate. I also play music but I've always been able to find a band.
This is some of the single track I ride out here in NorCal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Pl5LPXumU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_hyglvrz7g
barefootbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #92
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
May need to define what you mean by "city" first. Not much out west larger than 5000 population. Don't know much about single track myself so will let others speak to that.

Just about anyplace you care to land will have any number of inexpensive houses for sale. Don't expect anyting fancy for the most part. One eventually gets used to limited choices for shopping (thank God for the internet!).

I moved here from Minneapolis and am pleased with the lifestyle, though I do sometimes long for variety available in very large metro areas. OTOH, not many people to tell you how to live your life.

Good luck. Look forward to meeting you!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #93
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,646
Barefoot, It sounds like you would be looking at the Omaha or Lincoln area, as opposed to the other "cities" in Nebraska. I would think coming from California, anything smaller might feel a bit weird. Lot's more Nebraskans in THIS THREAD.

Pretty much all the larger cities/towns are along I-80. Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island, Kearney and North Platte. Off I-80 to the North are lots of small towns and a few decent sized towns. Blair, Fremont, Norfolk, Columbus and Oneil are a few. Depending on what you do for a living, you will be able to find jobs in all of them. Just don't be telling everyone you know about how great Nebraska is

Singletrack is hard to come by, but it is around. Most people just own land or know someone with land for that. There is a place just south of Rock Port, MO (just over an hour from Lincoln or Omaha) that you need to be a member of. Trl Rdr is the go to contact on here for that (he's VP). It really is a fun place to ride, and I will be a member in a few years when my kids get old enough to ride.
HERE IS A LINK TO THAT AREA

ADVriding in the area is mostly gravel and dirt roads. For a day trip of fun, most of us end up riding in the Loess Hills of Iowa. It's basically lots of hills and decently curvy roads. Lot's of minimum maintenance dirt roads to play on too. Really great on a Strom! You can google Loess Hills and find lots of info on them. Several ADVer's have gps tracks for good rides over there. Seems like if anyone has more than two days to take off and ride they are heading to either Arkansas, Colorado or South Dakota (black hills). It is nice to be able to take off and be at any one of those places by late Thursday night after leaving work, riding Friday and Saturday and driving home Sunday. I always thought trailers were dumb until I got a DRZ. Now I would rather trailer out somewhere, and ride the really fun stuff, and then relax in the AC on the way home ;)

None of the local stuff will be like California, but you couldn't pay me to switch places!

Bring me some of that good NorCal weed when you come though

So, feel free to ask over in the other thread as well, since most of the ADVriding Nebraskans frequent that thread much more (no offence Tri-"cities" guys).

-5th

fifthcircle screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:45 AM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #94
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Barefoot, It sounds like you would be looking at the Omaha or Lincoln area, as opposed to the other "cities" in Nebraska. I would think coming from California, anything smaller might feel a bit weird. Lot's more Nebraskans in THIS THREAD.

So, feel free to ask over in the other thread as well, since most of the ADVriding Nebraskans frequent that thread much more (no offence Tri-"cities" guys).

-5th
No offense taken. Notice the last post on the Tri-Cities thread before I opened the door trying to get our own "2nd Saturday" thing going!

I will try to make Pies this year. Too much else going on last year to fit it in.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #95
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
No offense taken. Notice the last post on the Tri-Cities thread before I opened the door trying to get our own "2nd Saturday" thing going!

I will try to make Pies this year. Too much else going on last year to fit it in.
Did someone say......PIE!!!!!!!!

I am planning on having my little ADV rally again this year. Fifth Fest!
I hope you Tri-Cities guys can make it. We had a lot of fun last year, and I will be able to refine the ride this year. We only hit a small portion of the good roads last year. Gonna cut out the long stretches of gravel and head strait to the sand and dirt two track stuff. There was even an over grown single track road
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #96
crashman44b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post

Hopefully the rider count in this area will pick up. I went as far as knocking on people's door with bikes to inform them. Everybody seems to busy or to caught up in their own little world to care which I can understand (since I have a 10 and 2 year old girls) We are planning on a MC camping trip the 1st weekend in June if anybody is interested. That will be at Sherman up by Loup City.

I did get the bike out Sunday for a gravel cruise. It got cold later in the evening but wasnt bad.
crashman44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #97
barefootbob
Adventurer

Thanks for the info, I'll check out that other site. I actually live in Northern Ca. in a small town called Willits, we have about 4 or 5000 so I'm use to small town living. Mendocino County, the land of fine highs and low buy's, a place where you can grow right in your back yard. Ca. might have nice weather but the politics, Riding parks being closed down because some think we should not be allowed to ride those crazy bikes anywhere, taxes are through the roof, jobs are hard to find, it's just getting to be to much. Not sure how much dirt I'll be riding in the future, I'm 51 and have been hauling ass my whole life and have had my fair share of injuries, just last Sunday my gal and I took a spill on the Strom, "dam red mud" It's funny I haul ass on my dirtbikes and we fall going 10mph. I jacked my left shoulder so I'm seriously thinking of giving up the dirt bikes. We still like the Strom though, just keep it out of the red mud, that sucked.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #98
barefootbob
Adventurer

Man thats some nice single track, when I see stuff like that it makes it hard to give up trail riding.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #99
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbob View Post
Man thats some nice single track, when I see stuff like that it makes it hard to give up trail riding.
No need to give it up, just slow down! Get a little "woods bike", and play in the really tight stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #100
crashman44b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Went out sunday. All 2 of us, almost had 3.Lunch was a good time. Forgot to take pictures of the food. Hoping we can do this every month when is warms up with a few weeks notice. Im ordering some farkles today and super excited.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #101
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Cool looking motard! Is it a KLX 250?

fifthcircle screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 12:28 PM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #102
crashman44b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool looking motard! Is it a KLX 250?
yes, I found it over in Cozad for my nephew. I was glad he pulled the trigger on it. He had a chinese scooter before this bike that I was sick of working on. This bike only has a few hundred miles on it. Been in a few bike shows and did well againist $20,000 pirate ships. He isnt to fond of dirt and gravel with it but he is really short and it fits him well. I have been working him over to get dirt tires.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #103
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman44b View Post
yes, I found it over in Cozad for my nephew. I was glad he pulled the trigger on it. He had a chinese scooter before this bike that I was sick of working on. This bike only has a few hundred miles on it. Been in a few bike shows and did well againist $20,000 pirate ships. He isnt to fond of dirt and gravel with it but he is really short and it fits him well. I have been working him over to get dirt tires.
Don't they make TCK80's in that size now? That would be fun
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #104
crashman44b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't they make TCK80's in that size now? That would be fun
Yes sir, theres a couple options he has. I was going to put Avon Distanzia on my SM before i got rid of it. Pirelli also makes a tire to but all are very pricey.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #105
crashman44b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anybody interested in a late lunch sunday in Kearney? If the weather forecast holds out we are going. play some keno, eat and watch Nascar like the beer drinking hillbillies we are