Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,535
Some in the clutch basket if you really wanted to get all the old stuff out (a bunch of other spots as well if you wanted to get really picky)

I usually add 2 liters, run it then add another half liter. Seems to always bring mine to full on the dipstick.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
PRetty sure. Drained oil tank, drained sump (crankcase), removed/replaced replacable filter, cleaned screen on brake side of engine. Is there any other oil lurking anywhere else?
That's all of it

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
rockitdoc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Some in the clutch basket if you really wanted to get all the old stuff out (a bunch of other spots as well if you wanted to get really picky)

I usually add 2 liters, run it then add another half liter. Seems to always bring mine to full on the dipstick.
That's what I should have done, and will do next time. I filled the new filter before inserting in place of the old one. Took about 200 mls. Then, I poured about 2.5L in the tank when it overflowed, alot. I ran it until heated up and the level is right at max. So, 2L after buttoning it up, run it for a while til heated, then top her off. No more mess. Thanks.
'77 BMW R100RS
'85 Laverda RGS1000SFC (also in process)
rockitdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
After the last change, I installed the Scotts stainless filter. Added about 3 liters, same as always. It read full on the screw in stick, after running some miles it read over, so I removed some. Then it read low, so I added some. This continues on. Is it the Scotts filter, or is it something else?
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
Don't forget the oil screen in the tank. You won't get more oil, but you may see some flakes of metal, paint, gasket goo, etc.

I clean this tank screen every oil change in the first 10k miles, then only when it's valve adjustment time, or once every 10k miles. Lot's of scary stuff in the first couple of oil changes.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
bdefen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Oil lurking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
PRetty sure. Drained oil tank, drained sump (crankcase), removed/replaced replacable filter, cleaned screen on brake side of engine. Is there any other oil lurking anywhere else?
Of course there is.......on the bottom of your shoe, and then on your wife's nice clean carpet or floor right after you go inside to take a pee, and grab a cool beverage to celebrate your really clean 950 oil change.

The Voice of Experience
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
rkt88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
oil change 2012 ktm990 adventure

Just did first oil change took a couple hours did it by the book removed crash bar tank side cover all the hoses couple electrical plugs since the bike waz new oil level always read a little over max added 2.5 liters run engine up added .5 liter barely touched the dip stick poured old oil into jug reads just under 3.5 liters added another half liter now reads a little over max gonna leave it be anyone have similar issues thankx
rkt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Difficult to get just right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88 View Post
Just did first oil change took a couple hours did it by the book removed crash bar tank side cover all the hoses couple electrical plugs since the bike waz new oil level always read a little over max added 2.5 liters run engine up added .5 liter barely touched the dip stick poured old oil into jug reads just under 3.5 liters added another half liter now reads a little over max gonna leave it be anyone have similar issues thankx
I add 2.5l. Run the engine until the thermometer reads ~6 bars. Then add another 0.5l. Then I ride the bike and get the temp to a realistic/normal operating temperature. At that point, the oil level is just above MIN. I then add oil very slowly... maybe 0.05l at a time until to reads MAX. I think the important part is to have the bike at normal operating temperature... not just 6 bars after a cold start. When I check the oil, it's always after a ride, so I know the bike is at normal operating temperature. It's difficult to get just right because the oil level changes very fast from MIN to MAX.

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote