User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
tommyg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
650 advice

2 years ago I purchased a 09 klx 250, I wanted something smaller than my gs for dirt roads etc. I like the bike, but bottom line is it doesnt have enough power for me, on road. The money it would take to get more power, big bore, pipe etc, I could get a 650. Iam down to xrl, or dr. Klr isnt much lighter than my gs, plus the looks of newer ones arent for me. I prefer the dr, but dealer claims there arent any 09s left anywhere. I prefer new, but Ill have been looking at used none around here. Ive read many reviews and the dr seems to be the smoother machine on road, I will use this bike 70% street and use avon distanzia tires. My question is, the xrl that much different than the dr, Iam going to test ride an 08 this week, but without anything to compare it to need some input. I had a xl 600, great bike but that was 20 years ago, thanks for any advice,
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
The one negative I find with the XRL is the big jump between first and second gear- not on the DR650. Other than that the XRL is the better bike all around by a very slight margin. The XRl needs no suspension upgrades to ride fast on whoops, but the DR650 can be made to handle whoops with the right springs and cartridge emulators. The XRL is too high for those who are less than 6 feet tall whereas the DR650 can be setup close to the ground for a shorter person. Both need an after market tank. Both respond well to after market power parts. The XRl has a little bit more power stock. I have ridden both on long day rides and the Honda is slightly more comfortable seat wise. The DR is the one I usually recommend to beginners, while the Honda is the better bike if you can climb on it. Even on road I find the Honda slightly better. Having said that I ride a DR650 completely set up for my weight and riding style, I just can't stand that jump between first and second and I love my DR.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,891
I run the DR650 with Distanzias...great choice for an all-around touring bike. It's really nice and smooth. It was so long ago that I rode an XR650L that I can't comment on it, except I've heard it's a lot buzzier.

I've got an IMS tank and Corbin seat on the DR650. You don't need any suspension modifications if you're riding it 70% street. I'm happy with the stock suspension off-road, too. I've left the carb stock for economy.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
landrover4wd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Why not a klr. Bigger tank, liquid cooled, and rack! In los angeles they were selling brand new 08's for $3,400. If you dont like the new style get an 07.