Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #46
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,563
Because my machine is lowered I cut the front springs two inches shorter stiffening them and limited the fork travel internally to match.

That coupled with sub tanks, a different mid valve and base valve(specs posted) got the front end working with WP 5 wt fork oil. I bought a heavier rear shock spring from Z dog and had him revalve the shock. It needed an oil change anyway.

Now I can run the rock gardens on the ATV trails or go touring fully loaded. I switch the sub tanks for road/trail use and keep the forks vented. The big 640 bike just rumbles along but the best part is I can touch the ground so I don't fall over very much.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #47
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 74
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
DaBit,

When you did the prolink bearing did you check the bearings on the frame where the dog bones attach? It sounds like you probably did, but those were the worst on my 03.
Hey Meat, I am doing those bearing right now and am struggling to remove them. I am wondering if you used a standard drift punch and knocked em out or used heat on the frame and some super cold on the bearings? I'm about to try the second route tomorrow as knocking them doesnt seem to budge.

The seals are also stuck in there really good, they keep tearing apart as I try to pull them out. My swingarm is still on but no chain, I did all the other swingarm and new linkage 5K ago and those are the only ones left and they are tricky bastages!!!

Any tricks are much appreciated!! Leaving for labrador in 2 weeks and need this done soon...
02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #48
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Here is my thread with that bit in it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310809

Lemme know if you don't get enough from it; I gotta walk the dog now...

OK, here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=40

straight 8 and dnrobertson have the idea - just use whatever. I think I even pounded the seals through with the bearings; they are weak lil' things.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 06:52 AM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_8
Hey Meat, I am doing those bearing right now and am struggling to remove them. I am wondering if you used a standard drift punch and knocked em out or used heat on the frame and some super cold on the bearings? I'm about to try the second route tomorrow as knocking them doesnt seem to budge.

The seals are also stuck in there really good, they keep tearing apart as I try to pull them out. My swingarm is still on but no chain, I did all the other swingarm and new linkage 5K ago and those are the only ones left and they are tricky bastages!!!

Any tricks are much appreciated!! Leaving for labrador in 2 weeks and need this done soon...
Yes, they can be a bitch to get out!

I found a (sacrificial) socket with an outer diameter just smaller than the inner diameter of the mount. Then get a nice long extension and place it into the socket and out the hole in the frame used to tighten the pivot bolt.

Take a large hammer and start hitting. I worked up a good sweat doing this, but it worked and I got all the stuff out.

Now, can anybody help me remove the extension from the socket?

David.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote