Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #31
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Sort of remind me of the difference between stand-up and sit-down jetskis. The sit-downs (which anyone can ride) are fun for a while. But the stand-ups (which actually require ability to use) are much more fun in the long run. But, I could see these things being great for urban delivery vehicles etc.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #32
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Moto endorsement required in FL.
Same in CT, but they do advertise that you can take your riding test on one, how easy would that be!!!
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Same in CT, but they do advertise that you can take your riding test on one, how easy would that be!!!
State by state breakdown here (California, just a car license it seems):

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom...uirements.aspx

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration classifies this vehicle as a three wheeled motorcycle. Licensing follows motorcycle laws in all US states excepting California and Delaware which license as a class ‘C’ and Washington, who requires a three wheel motorcycle permit. Though, not intended for off road sports, this street-legal touring motorcycle takes advantage of HOV, diamond lane or other passenger express lanes cruising by traffic congestion."

http://amazing-automotive.com/automo...ing-motorcycle

scrannel screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 08:24 AM
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I wonder how often they catch a front wheel on something? Seriously. To me one of the appeals of a motorcycle is the narrowness. I think if I switched to a trike like that I would be snagging stuff with the front end.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #35
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
I wonder how often they catch a front wheel on something? Seriously. To me one of the appeals of a motorcycle is the narrowness. I think if I switched to a trike like that I would be snagging stuff with the front end.
What happens when you drive a car?
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #36
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,094
Damn, 3 pages and only 3 pics show up. This has turned into a debate about the pros and cons of such a vehicle. That is unfortunate
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #37
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon View Post
Damn, 3 pages and only 3 pics show up. This has turned into a debate about the pros and cons of such a vehicle. That is unfortunate
People are curious about the thing, which is good. Also, there are a few factory links here if you need more pics.

In So. Cal I see quite a lot of these: it's one of two states where you just need a car license and the weather's pretty decent. I'm sure -- if they really do catch on -- someone will come up with an enclosed top with wipers. The bling issue has already reached drool capacity:

http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...ccessories.htm
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #38
MOzarkRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Well, I wave at 'em, so they're motorcycles.
I've heard through multiple sources that if you ride a motorcycle (two wheels) and you wave at a Scooter or Spyder then you lose your man points as a motorcyclist and should be forever shunned from the motorcycle world...

I would agree with that except if it is below 35 degrees. Then anyone in an open cabin weather it be scooters spyders motorbikes or hacks deserve a wave
05' Triumph Sprint ST
http://www.xjrider.com/
MOzarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #39
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,577
I don't own one, but have ridden them and I will say they are FUN. I rode the sport model a few years ago, then last year I went on another demo ride with my girlfriend on the back so she could experience it. Good acceleration, surprisingly good handling, and I found both models to be comfortable enough for a cross-country trip. She wants one, I imagine someday they'll be one in my garage.

The demo route took us though a few pretty rough roads, it's not as bad as you think when one front hits a pothole or dip. They'd be good, I think, for long rides. Hook a trailer up to it and camp in style the whole route. I'd be curious how it would do in campsites and gravel roads when they get wet. Maybe put a snow tire on the back, or carry chains, or something. If you get one stuck you'd most likely have a fight on your hands getting it out.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #40
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
I've not ridden one yet, but checking them out over the years, I've been surprised by what I feel is the quality perception difference between the Spyder and the Touring. The Spyder's pretty awesome. The touring version is this massive all plastic thing.
I too have wondered if road debris avoidance is an issue with 2 wheels in front and dead center in the rear. They do look like fun toys, but I think I'd fill this niche with a used BMW Z3 or Z4.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #41
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I too have wondered if road debris avoidance is an issue with 2 wheels in front and dead center in the rear.
The overwhelming view of people I know who've test ridden them is that you find every pothole in the road.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #42
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
Took a test ride when it was just a concept and I was trying to grab the front brake lever that wasn't there.
One of the service guys figured out how to disconnect the traction control and claimed it did awesome smokey burnouts.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #43
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The overwhelming view of people I know who've test ridden them is that you find every pothole in the road.
When I did my test ride I was right behind the can am rep, and I noticed that when I followed his line I missed most of them. Point being, on a test ride you aren't used to the bike. After you ride it for a while you'll start to learn where the wheels are and miss the bumps better. Either way it rides pretty nice, so it's not too big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zDollar Bill View Post
Took a test ride when it was just a concept and I was trying to grab the front brake lever that wasn't there.
One of the service guys figured out how to disconnect the traction control and claimed it did awesome smokey burnouts.
I've seen it, they do good burnouts.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #44
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
When I did my test ride I was right behind the can am rep, and I noticed that when I followed his line I missed most of them. Point being, on a test ride you aren't used to the bike. After you ride it for a while you'll start to learn where the wheels are and miss the bumps better. Either way it rides pretty nice, so it's not too big of a deal.
Seems to me they might be fine on relatively smooth pavement, but where I ride there are lots of bumps, potholes, crap on the road, you name it, and I would imagine I would frequently be hitting one wheel or another on something. Even with a two-wheeler there are places where you just can't miss all that stuff, but as someone pointed out earlier, cars drive these roads too and depend more on the suspension. But, with the Can Am you have three tracks to keep aware of and they are close together. With a car there are only two tracks, and they are pretty far apart, and of course a motorcycle just has one track.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #45
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,846
I think these things are pretty cool and I am glad to be seeing more and more of them on the road. I may own one someday. It looks like a lot of fun to me...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote