Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,391
New to me electrical problem 950SE NEW INFORMATION!

So here's the basics;

07 950 SE
Electrical add-ons include;
Heated grips,
I-phone charger
GPS charger
Heated gear port

Has an EarthX battery, about 6 months old.

Riding about 2 weeks ago, I turned off the right thumb kill switch, turn it back on and nothing. No fuel pump, no headlight, no dash, etc. Huh, weird. So I put it in the truck and bring it home. A week later I get around to looking at it, and here's what I find;

Battery has a good charge, cables are good, and so is the ground. Play with the wires around the head tube, but no difference. Open up the ignition cylinder and clean up the contacts, but all is good. So then I go back in the house, and leave the key on overnight. Oops. Dead battery.

So the next day, when I in the dead battery, I try to charge it. It reads 5.5 volts. Dead dead. The EarthX site says a dead dead battery may be recovered with a 24 hour 2 amp charge. So I take the battery out of the bike to charge it (don't want to burn down the house charging a 950 battery AGAIN) and after a number of hours the battery is reading 13.5 volts on the charger an 13 volts off the charger. Good to go. So I put it back in the bike. Here's where it gets weird.

Connect the cables back to the battery an it immediately reads 5.5 volts, key off. Disconnect the cables, back to 13 volts. Weird. Also, with the charge battery connected and the 2 amp charger on the bike, when you turn on the key the headlight flashes as the fuel pump pumps. The headlight flashes in time to the fuel pump cycles. And when the fuel pump reaches pressure and kicks off, so does the headlight. If you cycle the key, the pump and headlight repeat the same process.

With the charged battery an the 2 amp charger on, the battery reads 5.5 volts and will not turn over the bike.

So there it is. Any ideas?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50

brents347 screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 05:06 PM
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 883
Something is drawing juice (obviously), try systematic disabling of individual components ( pull fuse or hot lead). Maybe you can discover the culprit ??
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 883
I'm deep into electrical gremlins as well, have my wiring tore apart behind the light trying to find out whats up with the trip A and B, stoplight, and turn signals being non- existant.

Good luck
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Something is drawing juice (obviously), try systematic disabling of individual components ( pull fuse or hot lead). Maybe you can discover the culprit ??

Good call. Hadn't done that yet.

So here's where I am now. Pull all fuses and all wire accessories. Battery reads 13 volts connected to bike. Replace all fuses EXCEPT clock an battery reads 13 volts. Replace clock fuse an battery drops to 5.5 volts. Remove clock fuse, back to 13 volts. Leave clock fuse out, turn on ignition and battery drops to .5 volts. Turn off ignition, put on charger, 13.5 volts. Leave charger on, turn on key, battery drops to 5.5 volts.

Color me confused.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So here's the basics;

07 950 SE
Electrical add-ons include;
Heated grips,
I-phone charger
GPS charger
Heated gear port

Has an EarthX battery, about 6 months old.

Riding about 2 weeks ago, I turned off the right thumb kill switch, turn it back on and nothing. No fuel pump, no headlight, no dash, etc. Huh, weird. So I put it in the truck and bring it home. A week later I get around to looking at it, and here's what I find;

Battery has a good charge, cables are good, and so is the ground. Play with the wires around the head tube, but no difference. Open up the ignition cylinder and clean up the contacts, but all is good. So then I go back in the house, and leave the key on overnight. Oops. Dead battery.

So the next day, when I in the dead battery, I try to charge it. It reads 5.5 volts. Dead dead. The EarthX site says a dead dead battery may be recovered with a 24 hour 2 amp charge. So I take the battery out of the bike to charge it (don't want to burn down the house charging a 950 battery AGAIN) and after a number of hours the battery is reading 13.5 volts on the charger an 13 volts off the charger. Good to go. So I put it back in the bike. Here's where it gets weird.

Connect the cables back to the battery an it immediately reads 5.5 volts, key off. Disconnect the cables, back to 13 volts. Weird. Also, with the charge battery connected and the 2 amp charger on the bike, when you turn on the key the headlight flashes as the fuel pump pumps. The headlight flashes in time to the fuel pump cycles. And when the fuel pump reaches pressure and kicks off, so does the headlight. If you cycle the key, the pump and headlight repeat the same process.

With the charged battery an the 2 amp charger on, the battery reads 5.5 volts and will not turn over the bike.

So there it is. Any ideas?
You didn't sell your other SE, did you???

On stuff like that, I would disconnect all of the add-on stuff and add the connections back one at a time. Check what is going on electronically as you add each component back. On my bike, I added a FuzeBlock in the glovebox so that I could better control add-on electronics and assure that I wasn't getting any power draws while the key is off: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=10#fz1

I have a Shorai I'd be glad to send you. I had that on my bike at one point and got tired of not being able to start it in the winter. I went back with the Interstate replacement and now have no more problems.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,853
Two thoughts:
one is: you've got a short from hot to the frame/ground that is turning the bike into an electric space heater, and drawing down the battery voltage. But I don't know why that sort of short wouldn't just blow a fuse immediately. That's what fuses are supposed to do.

Thought two: your battery is kaput. It shows a good voltage with no load, but put any load at all on it, even the clock, and it won't do anything. This may or may not have been caused by anything you or the bike did.

Have you tried a different battery?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
AJ990R
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
two thoughts:
One is: You've got a short from hot to the frame/ground that is turning the bike into an electric space heater, and drawing down the battery voltage. But i don't know why that sort of short wouldn't just blow a fuse immediately. That's what fuses are supposed to do.

Thought two: Your battery is kaput. It shows a good voltage with no load, but put any load at all on it, even the clock, and it won't do anything. This may or may not have been caused by anything you or the bike did.

Have you tried a different battery?
+1
Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,412
The EarthX battery is _DEAD_ because you left it under load all night, despite it being "charged" its not holding the voltage under load..... The reason the light is flashing while on the charger is because the charger cannot produce enough current to support everything.....

As soon as you get a fresh battery in there.... THEN go pull the headlight cover assembly and then pull apart the right side bar wire harness plug where it connects to the main harness, clean and reassemble..... The key switch controls the main power relay that powers the things like the head light, brake and turn signals, it also provides power to the bar switch, the bar switch controls another relay which provides power to the ECU and power to the 'safety' relay for the starter motor.... kinda a convoluted system.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 162
I'm with Ken... sounds like the battery. I'm a fan of the EarthX too, but it may be done. Have you tried another battery yet?

Also, don't rule out your R/R... it may have cooked your battery. Don't just assume your battery failed for no reason. Sounds like you have a volt meter in the bike, so you may not have noticed an alarmingly low or high voltage. I've seen your bike but cant remember if you are running the OEM R/R in the stock location. Those 2 things = bad on the SE. I'd recommend a relocation at a minimum and a Mosfet.

I have been doing a bunch of wiring lately on my SE... I agree w/ "convoluted"!! I so badly want to rip the whole harness out, leave the ecu w/ necessary stuff, and basically run an EXC dual sport wiring kit. Screw the BS.

I'm not sure I have the time, energy & elec. "know-how" for that right now.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

O.k., Brad, this is the same bike you saw. I do have ALL the accessories etc. disconnected from the bike and have not started putting anything back. The heated grips are still connected to Acc1 (switched) and the GPS power is still connected to Acc2 but with both of those fuses pulled there is no draw there.

AJ and slackmeyer, it may be the battery and I will put in my lead-acid battery tomorrow and see what happens. It is a weak battery at best though so it may not provide good results. We'll see

Ken, I appreciate your opinion on this and your explanation of how the power is running through this bike. That will help me track it from A to B because I still haven't figured out why the bike stopped running originally.

Jrod, I am running a stock R/R in a new/cooler location. I will test output as soon as I get the bike going again but I think that I am good there.

More tomorrow....

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 03-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,412
Good luck, hope you figure it out.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,529
+4 on the battery being your 'current' problem.

All these modern battery's seem to fail the same way. It will charge up to good voltage in a very short time, but any small load will draw them down to zero. The stock AGM and all the new metal batteries do this. The old flooded lead acid will just fade away.

With a fresh battery, you can start looking for the real problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
brents347 OP
Trusting my Cape...

Well I tried my old lead-acid battery, and while the symptoms were better, this battery is just not good enough either. So I sent off a warranty e-mail to EarthX, I'll get a new one ASAP and report back.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Take the battery out of the equation (disconnect the cables),hook up some jumper cables to your truck/car and give her a whirl
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,779
Take the battery out, charge it. Connect a load, ie 50w light bulb and measure the voltage drop....if it drops to 5.5v quickly....battery stuffed. It should be a slowly drop but will hold around 10-11 volts if the battery is good.