Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #1501
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
The UK KTM website has posted some prices - 13195 gbp for the 1190advR and 12585 gbp for the 1190adv.

A quick and rough conversion to what that could be in australia got the price at over $27000, which is similar pricing to the BMW 1200 GSA.

I was getting more and more interested in the bike (looking at the technical details the 1190advR would suit the type of riding I'm looking at), but if those prices remain at that level it's just way too much.

Especially when you consider that (in Australian dollars) there would be a $10000 to $15000 price jump from the 690r (UK KTM has the 690r at 7195 GBP and they currently go for $14000 to $16000 in Australia).

The stupid part is that this leaves room for a bike in the middle of the 690r and 1190advR - a 950advR with a price of $20000

Gaz

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Previously owned: '92 XT350, 89 FJ1200, '99 VFR800
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien
OutbackDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #1502
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599 View Post
Why don't you haters buy a 690 Enduro ($10,000) and then put the rally raid kit on it ($3,000) and have your Unicorn, Sasquatch, Lochness Monster Mythical Bike! The kit looks great, reviews have been good, 50mpg, 6 gallons of gas, 350ish weight and a pipe to get it over 70 HP. $13,000 and all your problems are solved.
I bet you haven't even ridden a 690 for any kinds of distances, have you?

If you gear it low enough to work well off road it has a cruising speed of around 70, above that it starts to vibe annoyingly (way more than the 500/570 EXC/Berg engines) and uses lots of fuel.

That is the compromise you make when you take an engine with a close ratio 6 speed gearbox developed for supermoto riding and try to make an adventure bike out of it. And a fairing kit is not going to change that either, I have enough miles on a 690 Rally Replica to tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Exactly, because most people just like to bitch about stuff they know they can't have. There are so many threads about why doesn't "X" manufacturer make "Y" bike. And the answer is that because the number of people who will actually BUY it are not enough to support such a venture. It would be easy for someone to do just as you suggested and buy the 690 and modify it into the perfect unicorn but then they wouldn't be able to complain that so and so doesn't make the perfect bike according to them. If they built this mythical 750-800CC instead of the 1190 there would be an equal number of people bitching it lacked power and range blah blah friggin blah.
So according to that argument, should KTM only make 250 2-stroke enduro bikes from now on? Or maybe only 505 4-stroke MX bikes with a 4 speed close ratio gearbox? Hey, you can't have it all, right?

There is a market for 800 sized bikes, no question about it. The way it is now KTM doesn't sell many 990 Adventures, and it doesn't sell many 690 Enduros either. If it has an 1190 that is in 9 out of 10 categories a better bike than the 1200GS, and a smaller twin that competes similarly with the F700/800GS and 800 Tiger, they will sell.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #1503
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackDreamer View Post
The UK KTM website has posted some prices - 13195 gbp for the 1190advR and 12585 gbp for the 1190adv.

A quick and rough conversion to what that could be in australia got the price at over $27000, which is similar pricing to the BMW 1200 GSA.

Gaz

Might be time to check the present exchange rates.

13195 gbp converts to A$20,560. Add the 10 per cent GST and you are in the $22-23K range for the R.

But then, Britain has its own VAT.

A price just published at US (I think) site Autoevolution lists the R at 14895 euro, which converts today to A$18,580. Plenty of room to add GST and bring it in under $23K on the road. Not sure where that euro figure came from, tho.

As for the BMW GS Adventure, this recently posted piece at popular Aussie bike sales site BikePoint says BMW has just lopped $5000 of its price tag, bringing its RRP down to A$23,850. KTM has to compete with that somehow.

I imagine there is a lot of downward pressure on Aussie bike prices at the moment. The currency has been high for a while, and so expectations grow it will stay that way. Every new model launch brings an opportunity to undercut rival offerings without burning prior customers (much ). Hence the shaft-driven Honda V4 Crosstourer at less than A$22K on the road.

I believe KTM brought in only a small number of 2012 990 Adventures with the understanding that the new model was coming. I am looking forward to their pricing announcement on the 1190, and do not expect to be disappointed.

As for what Ducati will do ... for how long they can sell the problem-prone Multistrada 1200S at $31K on the road your guess is as good as mine.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #1504
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
There is a market for 800 sized bikes, no question about it...If it has an 1190 that is in 9 out of 10 categories a better bike than the 1200GS, and a smaller twin that competes similarly with the F700/800GS and 800 Tiger, they will sell.
...and KTM has the ability to do well in that 700/800cc catagory by making the bike a little more dirt capable than the BMWs. Making it reliable would be an improvement over the BMW 800GS as well. I know, I know. It's KTM. So that might be asking a lot. But reliability is what has kept me shying away from an 800GS even though I mostly love the bike (though it needs some tweaks as do most bikes). Some of the issues may get blown out of proportion, but I am over unreliable bikes. I definitely shy away from those that have lots of misc. issues cropping up or are high maintenance. Guess I'm getting old before my time. I'd rather be out riding and not wrenching in the garage or, worse yet, on the side of the trail potentially ruining a planned trip for not only me but for those that I'm with.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #1505
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
...and KTM has the ability to do well in that 700/800cc catagory by making the bike a little more dirt capable than the BMWs....
Could you imagine this site's whining and wringing of hands if a KTM 700/800 entry was only a little more dirt capable than the Truimph/BMW? The most common of which would be (wait for it)... I'm gonna hafta keep my 950 forever I guess,
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #1506
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Might be time to check the present exchange rates.

13195 gbp converts to A$20,560. Add the 10 per cent GST and you are in the $22-23K range for the R.
Yeah I know - I based it on the conversion of the 690R from gbp to Aussie and then multiplied by the same factor (GBP times 2.08). My thinking is that this types of pricing is never a straight exchange rate conversion, otherwise the bike should be sold here at $18797 Aussie (British VAT is 17.5% I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
I am looking forward to their pricing announcement on the 1190, and do not expect to be disappointed.
I do hope you're right; cause I was getting excited by the thought of the 1190AdvR, but then scared myself with the pricing.
We can only hope that the pricing in Oz is getting closer to our friends around the world (the pricing here has been too much for too long).

Gaz

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #1507
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackDreamer View Post
We can only hope that the pricing in Oz is getting closer to our friends around the world (the pricing here has been too much for too long).

Gaz
Must be a difficult job setting prices for imports with the now typical floating exchange rates. On the one hand, there are opportunities to gratify greed; on the other there are opportunities for rivals to leave you looking really silly with a big inventory and future commitments you can't expect to recover.

No-one knows what will happen to the $Aussie in the near term, let alone the longer term. So the safest and most comfortable bet is to do nothing. Procrastination often pays. But not always. (Otherwise I'd be a billionaire. )
Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #1508
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
vs. Tenere

Haven't owned a bike in 20 years. Last one was a Yamaha YZ250 dual sport. Have really enjoyed visiting all the various forums and seeing owners bash each other for buying the wrong "brand" of bike. Geez.

Being in the market for an adventure bike (translation: not enough money to buy a dirt bike AND a street bike) I just rented Long Way Round. That's why I had to smile when inmates here started to ask why KTM pulled the 1190 from the USA website. KTM seems to be fond of pulling the rug out from under people.

In my sights is the Tenere. I don't think it will be as capable OR as fun as the 1190, but I think it will last longer and be cheaper to maintain.

Please don't be mad - I am mental. Can't buy a BMW as I can't wrap my mind around bouncing anything with a BMW logo off rocks and mud. Hard to buy a KTM after rumors of difficult/expensive/time-consuming upkeep and the fresh viewing of Ewan and Charlie.

Feel free to flame me now, but keep in mind that I own zero motorcycles so am therefore an expert on everything I just said. lol

WestVirginia screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 10:02 AM
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #1509
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Haven't owned a bike in 20 years. Last one was a Yamaha YZ250 dual sport. Have really enjoyed visiting all the various forums and seeing owners bash each other for buying the wrong "brand" of bike. Geez.

Being in the market for an adventure bike (translation: not enough money to buy a dirt bike AND a street bike) I just rented Long Way Round. That's why I had to smile when inmates here started to ask why KTM pulled the 1190 from the USA website. KTM seems to be fond of pulling the rug out from under people.

In my sights is the Tenere. I don't think it will be as capable OR as fun as the 1190, but I think it will last longer and be cheaper to maintain.

Please don't be mad - I am mental. Can't buy a BMW as I can't wrap my mind around bouncing anything with a BMW logo off rocks and mud. Hard to buy a KTM after rumors of difficult/expensive/time-consuming upkeep and the fresh viewing of Ewan and Charlie.

Feel free to flame me now, but keep in mind that I own zero motorcycles so am therefore an expert on everything I just said. lol
WestVirginia n00b

It is quite enjoyable to jump from area to area here on adv watching each other bash the other guy's pride and joy. The truth of the matter is, most all of the bikes available today are quality items. And the few issues people have get thrown around the internet and blown out of proportion.

I have a BMW Xchallenge I beat the crap out of, and it is a wonderful bike (after I completely replaced the suspension). I spoke with a gentleman who sold his because he was afraid his swingarm was going to break.

I have a few friends on another forum who have ridden F800GSs thousands of miles with no problems, but here in OC apparently you can't get one home from the dealer without the transmission falling out.

My KTM 990 R had a jerky throttle, I replaced the tube with a G2 mild and now it is as smooth as silk, but some BMW guys claim the bike is not ridable.

Some folks on here would lead you to believe that owning a motorcycle is as difficult as raising orchids.

I guess my point is, before you start reading all this crap, be sure to turn your filter on. Remember that when some company does build a 300LB adventure bike that tours like a GSA, handles the trails like a 450EXC, and goes 400 miles on 15L of fuel, everyone will still bitch because it is the wrong brand.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #1510
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Hard to buy a KTM after rumors of difficult/expensive/time-consuming upkeep and the fresh viewing of Ewan and Charlie.
I haven't heard of anyone having a chance to ride a 1190. Where are these rumors coming from?

Also didn't Ewan and Charlie go to KTM first for free bikes and KTM turned them down? Thought that is what I heard, never seen the movie.

I got back into motorcycles two years ago after 20+ years off. I got a used KLR rode it for a year and sold it for what I paid. Then I had a better idea for the bike I wanted. Don't discount the idea of two bikes.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1511
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
It's ok.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
I haven't heard of anyone having a chance to ride a 1190. Where are these rumors coming from?

Also didn't Ewan and Charlie go to KTM first for free bikes and KTM turned them down? Thought that is what I heard, never seen the movie.

I got back into motorcycles two years ago after 20+ years off. I got a used KLR rode it for a year and sold it for what I paid. Then I had a better idea for the bike I wanted. Don't discount the idea of two bikes.

I don't think I've ever seen a garage that couldn't hold more than 1 bike!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #1512
OutbackDreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
Yep - they just wanted free bikes and KTM said no, They could of just purchased the bikes like everyone else here has to do (WestVirginia don't take the issue Charlie had with KTM in the movie at face value - Charlie was either playing it up for the camera or was just being a tool).

A rumour I heard was that KTM was damned if they agreed and damned if they didn't. Meaning that if it was successful they wouldn't be able to keep up with production numbers, and also if it failed the KTM brand would have been really affected - so went the safe bet (said no).

'09 KTM 690R - Adv
'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1513
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 140
Reality Check

There has been a lot of chatter about a 750-ish cc DS bike from KTM. Why would they dumb down the 990? If that were to happen, everyone would be bitching about less power, torque, etc.

Think about it-- the 990 kills the 800xc and f800gs, so why the fook would KTM make something less? I will grant that the 990 could have some improvements, but it absolutely slays the sub liter class bikes.

The 1190 is intended for the 1200cc class and assail the usual suspects (BMW, Triumph, Ducatti, maybe the S10).

I don't see the "dream bike" coming from KTM in a 750, cuz it's already here in a 990.

There is no replacement for displacement.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #1514
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,269
One reason here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
There has been a lot of chatter about a 750-ish cc DS bike from KTM. Why would they dumb down the 990?
Last time I looked in the mirror, I realized you don't get younger and stronger with age... In case you wondered why anyone would want a lighter adventure bike then the 9xx.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #1515
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
vs. Tenere

Light makes right. I love the idea of a KTM more capable and yet lighter than the Tenere I am considering. Keep in mind, however, that I am in the "boy in a high school" stage when I fall in love every time I see a new set of curves.

I am concerned about the pricing of all these big ADV bikes.

Let's consider the Toyota Corolla. In the USA the base price is $16,230, has 132 hp, 16 or 17 inch wheels optional, 13 gallon fuel tank, and a curb weight of 2,800 lb.

The point is it's hard to swallow a 500 lb ADV bike being the same price as a 2,800 lb vehicle.

WestVirginia screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 07:02 AM
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote