Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #1576
Eataz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Really?? I must have been dreaming about all the negative comments about the new adventure then, how many have been whining about the extra weight, that it would not be off-road worthy, questioning KTM's business strategy, and how some would hold on their KTM 990s because the new 1190 was a POS etc. Indeed, not everyone has been negative, but to turn it around and say that it would be cheerful and optimistic, well that is pushing it.... Some might have to work on their communication skills so what they communicate aligns better with their intentions.... you could have fooled me...

Now I am whining about the whining going here and I hate that. But as someone who is genuinely interested in motorcycles, and especially now I am considering adding a KTM to the stable, I am surprised by the negativity in this thread by so many members. Each to their own, and people are free to do whatever they want and all that, but my point is that KTM released pictures and specifications, and o'boy, several people here became overnight experts on the new bike's rideability and what KTM really needs to do to understand their market... thankfully there are also people who are more insightful and open-minded than that. Stop whining and start riding, and appreciate that new exciting products are coming into the work place.
People will probably always be negative when i comes to changes. Sad enough.

Thanks alot for the article! Now i feel even more convinced that i will need to call the bank in the spring..
Eataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #1577
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Thanks Pebble35 for uploading, you rule

Back on the bikes's discussion, I'm not totally happy about the R rim size. Yes, it's great KTM offers 21 & 18 inch wheels but with 2.50 and 4.50 inch wide what kind of trail tire we're gonna throw there? Current 2.15 and 4.25 are already too wide so with the new rims a TKC/Karoo/Scorpion/whatever should sit almost flat... right?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #1578
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Here I was asking help to decide between the SMT or the Adventure, but after read this article is clear that I will wait for the 1190!

Thanks for posted it pebble35!!!

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #1579
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Thanks Pebble35 for uploading, you rule

Back on the bikes's discussion, I'm not totally happy about the R rim size. Yes, it's great KTM offers 21 & 18 inch wheels but with 2.50 and 4.50 inch wide what kind of trail tire we're gonna throw there? Current 2.15 and 4.25 are already too wide so with the new rims a TKC/Karoo/Scorpion/whatever should sit almost flat... right?
No problem - I get a huge amount of information/inspiration/friendship/fun out of this forum and it's nice to be able to give just a little bit back

I had the same thoughts on tyre/rim sizes. In the offroad test they used Scorpions - not sure what size but they do look a little 'flat' in the pictures - the tread does not really seem to curve around the tyre as much as it does on the narrower 990 rims. Looks like it may work OK off road but I am not sure how well the Scorps (or any TKC's, D908s etc) will work on road with that sort of profile........

I will be at the Milan show in just over a week and will probably be making the 'buy an 1190 or not' decision there - will see if I can get any feedback from KTM on off road tyre fitments.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #1580
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I will be at the Milan show in just over a week and will probably be making the 'buy an 1190 or not' decision there - will see if I can get any feedback from KTM on off road tyre fitments.
That would be great.
So here we are, already fixing problems we don't have in a bike we haven't seen yet

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1581
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,420
Pebble, thank you so VERY MUCH for doing that!

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #1582
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,277
Ohhhhhhhh momma!!!

Thanks for posting that article!!!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #1583
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Pebble thank you for the post and your time for this of course.

I was considering on my side, as a non offroader bike rider, The tire sizes are so special on the 17 19 version of 1190 as well, that we will be obliged to use only those heavily highway tires from Conti.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #1584
luvmyhilux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Bought a 990

Deposit paid here in UK for the last of the old 990R Adventure........think these old girls are going to be collectable in the near future..........
luvmyhilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #1585
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhilux View Post
Deposit paid here in UK for the last of the old 990R Adventure........think these old girls are going to be collectable in the near future..........
wouldn't say in the near future but in future for sure! even that 990 red bull.. gorgeous!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 10:09 AM
Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #1586
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
/hipster/ I just want to say that I liked the new 1090 before it was cool. //hipster/
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #1587
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
I was considering on my side, as a non offroader bike rider, The tire sizes are so special on the 17 19 version of 1190 as well, that we will be obliged to use only those heavily highway tires from Conti.
The new GS uses the same sizes. There will be no shortage of tyre options.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1588
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The new GS uses the same sizes. There will be no shortage of tyre options.
But the unusual tire sizes were the only thing I could think of to criticize!
Oh wait, it won't be for sale in the U.S. this coming spring. That IS a problem.

To anyone familiar with RC8 engine, are oil changes and valve adjustments the same arrangement as the 990 engine?
No quick and easy spin on oil filter, right?

The Bike Magazine article describes only 3 damping settings, street, comfort, and sport. Can each of these 3 selections be custom programmed to a certain level of compression and rebound damping? Likewise, the 4 preload selections need to have a custom level setting adjustment. It's hard to believe this level of adjustment is not provided for, but on the other hand, I'm surprised it's not mentioned once in 36 pages! Perhaps an email to Martin Fitz-Gibbons at Bike Magazine is in order?
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #1589
gpthis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190

pebble 35...Another big thanks for taking the time to shed some light on the NEW KTM....!
gpthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #1590
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
This is my 2nd post on the forum, I am a Tenere owner, and I WILL have one of these machines! I can't wait!

everetto is offline   Reply With Quote