ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #151
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogDaddy View Post
damn that's a long video. watched it for 35 minutes then turned it off. Was there something special going to happen or was it just a ride through the country side?
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #152
AlphaDogDaddy
AlphaDogDaddy
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Hunt, Texas & Durham, Maine
Oddometer: 23
New 1090?

I agree - way too long, however that was supposed to be the NEW KTM 1090...
AlphaDogDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #153
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogDaddy View Post
I agree - way too long, however that was supposed to be the NEW KTM 1090...
then why does the video say "The 990R Adventure OUT ON THE ROAD FILMED BY GOPRO ON CAN AM OUTLANDER"
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #154
stevodadevo
What happened?
 
stevodadevo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
then why does the video say "The 990R Adventure OUT ON THE ROAD FILMED BY GOPRO ON CAN AM OUTLANDER"
It also says 2012 not 2013...
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #155
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
It also says 2012 not 2013...
Reading is hard
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #156
AlphaDogDaddy
AlphaDogDaddy
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Hunt, Texas & Durham, Maine
Oddometer: 23
Okay, okay - Fair enough! It was sent to me saying the bike being used was the prototype for the 1090... Color, lower, etc. You are both right it was my mistake in pulling the trigger too quickly. Now Nuked!

AlphaDogDaddy screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 06:03 AM
AlphaDogDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #157
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Oddometer: 362
The truth

Like it or not, I don't think the cries of most of the people in this thread will be answered: a 90ish hp, 350poundish bike with top drawer suspension and wheels (read: 1.85/2.5 21/18 Excels or similar), 200 miles of range, and a windscreen that doesn't cause tintinus the first trip out.

Why? Because the typical person reading this thread doesn't represent even 3% of the motorcycle buying public. Look at the numbers of GS's, Goldwings, Harleys, non-plateable dirt bikes, and big bore sport bikes. THAT's what the buying public (at least 97%+ wants) and they vote with their wallets. Naturally we, the enlightened 3%, know that they are idiots (I'm just kidding, don't flame me!), but that doesn't change the marketing data.

Proof? The first year KTM added the SMT to their line-up in Germany, it became KTMs best seller here, apparently by a wide margin. A year later, they added ABS and the trend continued. On the list of best sellers here in Germany, the 12GS tops the list by a mile, then come 1000cc sportbikes, the R1200RS, a smattering of 600cc-ish entry level bikes (Kawi ERs, Suzuki Gladius, Honda CB600). Yes, I realize that Germany is not the US where the bulk of the members on this forum are from, but the trend here is indicative of what has been the case in the US for some time: size matters, bling matters, brand recognition matters.

The best we can hope for is that KTM sells a gajillion ADV1290s, builds a ADV1090R as a niche bike, and the aftermarket does the rest. Personally, every time I hop on my 07 990 Adventure, I get such a shit eating grin, that I am not in a hurry to replace it with anything else. I have NEVER rode a bike, much less owned one, that I like more than this one.
__________________
"The powerful will delegate to the untalented until failure is achieved" Dogbert, CEO
Terence FFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #158
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 7,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
The best we can hope for is that KTM sells a gajillion ADV1290s, builds a ADV1090R as a niche bike, and the aftermarket does the rest. Personally, every time I hop on my 07 990 Adventure, I get such a shit eating grin, that I am not in a hurry to replace it with anything else. I have NEVER rode a bike, much less owned one, that I like more than this one.
I think and hope thatís going to be the outcome, a 1290 Adv, 19/17 front wheel, more fuel, electronic gizmos, and passenger comfort more in the ilk of the S10 and more of an endurance bike like the GS....All good I say, if it sells.

Iíd also like to see the Adv-R continued, light weight, non abs, long legs and more true to its origins, personally I donít see the need for anymore CC but if it incorporates the RC8 motor Iíll defiantly be interested.
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #159
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
....Why? Because the typical person reading this thread doesn't represent even 3% of the motorcycle buying public. Look at the numbers of GS's, Goldwings, Harleys, non-plateable dirt bikes, and big bore sport bikes. THAT's what the buying public (at least 97%+ wants) and they vote with their wallets. Naturally we, the enlightened 3%, know that they are idiots (I'm just kidding, don't flame me!), but that doesn't change the marketing data.
As much as I hate to admit that the 97% of the motorcycling public just don't get or want a well set up Adventure/Enduro bike, what you say does make sense. Or why else would KTM be even contemplating building a soft adv bike? It maybe also explains why they have belligerently and scurrilously decided not to build the 690 adventure . No self respecting red blooded hardcore adventure rider wants to admit it but, it looks like ours is just too small
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #160
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I think and hope thatís going to be the outcome, a 1290 Adv, 19/17 front wheel, more fuel, electronic gizmos, and passenger comfort more in the ilk of the S10 and more of an endurance bike like the GS....All good I say, if it sells.

Iíd also like to see the Adv-R continued, light weight, non abs, long legs and more true to its origins, personally I donít see the need for anymore CC but if it incorporates the RC8 motor Iíll defiantly be interested.
The problem is, even the Adventure R is slowly being down sized. It has been shortened in seat height from 2011 to 2012. I feel if someone wants a shorter bike than the R, then buy a Dakar, but leave the R alone.
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #161
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by night falcon View Post
as much as i hate to admit that the 97% of the motorcycling public just don't get or want a well set up adventure/enduro bike
+1000 %
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #162
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I think and hope that’s going to be the outcome, a 1290 Adv, 19/17 front wheel, more fuel, electronic gizmos, and passenger comfort more in the ilk of the S10 and more of an endurance bike like the GS....All good I say, if it sells.
And I say Good On 'Em if they do cause they'll sell one to me.

That's exactly what I want (minus the electronic gizmos, but that's impossible to dodge any more), but I want KTM quality. I don't want a GS or Tenere or Strom or Tiger or whatever.

It'll still be a KTM...it won't be nearly as soft and pudgy as those bikes listed above. I think it might be exactly what I want, and probably what 50% of the so-called "hard-core" posters on this forum need.
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2005 Ducati ST3
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #163
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
incorporates the RC8 motor Iíll defiantly be interested.
I was looking forward to riding the multistrada 1200 with its killer race motor when it came out but liked my 950 way better because of smooth low rpm fueling and midrange kick. If the 1290 has nice smooth torque and can putt around as well as stomp from low rpm i would be interested in that.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #164
rufus
We're burning daylight...
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Coweta Oklahoma
Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I can't imagine how the KTM designers felt after the SE went into production and nobody bought the damn thing. It must have been a huge letdown for them, both financially and for their egos. They may have been competing too closely with their own Adventure market and the SE just looked too raw? Who knows


"Who knows"......I do.

As a dirt bike.....Not enough smooth off idle grunt, too tall, too heavy, too top heavy, hard to work on, the seat is miserable, very limited tire choices and there is no frame under the motor. Very vulnerable to crash damage.

As a street bike..........The seat is miserable, it is too tall and too top heavy, no wind protection, fuel range is ridiculous, too loud (motor and exhaust) limited tire choices.

I owned a 990 ADV for a couple of years. I have friends who have owned ADV and SE. They are an absolute blast to ride........for a little while.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #165
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
"Who knows"......I do.

As a dirt bike.....Not enough smooth off idle grunt, too tall, too heavy, too top heavy, hard to work on, the seat is miserable, very limited tire choices and there is no frame under the motor. Very vulnerable to crash damage.

As a street bike..........The seat is miserable, it is too tall and too top heavy, no wind protection, fuel range is ridiculous, too loud (motor and exhaust) limited tire choices.
I have to agree with you 100%. I fight this dilemma every time I ride it. I even think about it while I'm riding it, which really pisses me off. But damn I just can't stop riding it. Reminds me of an old gir... oh never mind.
__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014