ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #1996
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Import?

So not wishing to re-read the last 133 pages of mostly speculation and that...
Seeing as we dont seem to be getting an 1190 until 2014, has anyone been through the trials of importing a Euro model of any brand bike recently and had it registered here in the States? In other words, should importing a Euro spec 2013 1190 be put into the too-hard basket? I have a box full of pollution crap I could temporarily install on it to pass inspection...I am sure I could come up with a US DOT-spec (read "pathetic beam pattern") headlight (or just take the Euro headlight and cover it in masking tape for the same effect). At least it seems like having a 12" extension for the rear fender to pass DOT seems to have gone by the wayside, but if not there are plenty of mudflaps with catchy phrases and pictures at any truckstop on the interstate.
Seriously though, anyone with any experience in bringing in a new bike from OS? I imported a used bike into Australia years ago and in hindsight it was worth it, but at the time...not so much...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #1997
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
From what I know it can be a nightmare of red tape. Which by the time is finally all cleared up might put you a month or so ahead of them arriving legitimately on US sales floors.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #1998
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
From what I know it can be a nightmare of red tape. Which by the time is finally all cleared up might put you a month or so ahead of them arriving legitimately on US sales floors.
Kinda what I figured. So the only real advantage would be having one that the DOT hadnt passed their filthy wand over...
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1999
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
The big advantage of not getting the first bikes off the line will be a lot less recalls and TSBs. I'm not sure when they will show up but they will definitely be 14 models. I'm still thinking I might get a last year 990....
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #2000
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
The big advantage of not getting the first bikes off the line will be a lot less recalls and TSBs. I'm not sure when they will show up but they will definitely be 14 models. I'm still thinking I might get a last year 990....
Yes, you are better off waiting for the 2014 year models........................................afte r we have identified all the bugs in the 2013 year models that we will be getting in Europe. They start arriving here in England in Feb/March and you never know - maybe after all KTMs testing, we get a bike that's good to go from day one with no recalls or faults

Seriously though I'm optimistic that both versions will be a great bike and can't wait to get my hands on one.............
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #2001
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Nowadays I gotta decide either pre order an orange one or wait for 2014.
:
Honestly spekaing, I think that, I want one.
What can go wrong, the engine is not a new one; it has already been used on RC8 bikes. Maybe a few sensors can go wrong; I think the most critical electronics are from Bosch. But as it's on Joe's bike, a temperature sensor can be faulty, or likewise. As long as the electronic acceleration don't get stuck. , I think can be manageable; am I wrong? :-)))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #2002
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Regular version (non R)

Just curious - how many of you are actually considering the road version of the bike? I am leaning towards that one because I want to keep my F800GS, and I feel that the non-R bike will do just fine on regular dirt roads, likely even better than R1200GS.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #2003
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

I'm all about the non-R. Some keep yelling how it looks like the evolution of the vstrom.
Works for me because I love my vstrom! But would love better suspension and more power.
Boom. Sold.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2004
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,547
I will get a standard 1190 and I am not even remotely interested in the R.

Primarily because I am too bloody short!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #2005
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Although at Intermot I have spent most of my time in front of the R, I am considering the standart and by yesterday an orange to come. : . Main reason for me has been, my riding type, which is on highway and seldomly off the very easy part of the road. The tire sizes of the R is a choice to have for a rider like me; so I thought 17 19 would be better especially if I am riding a horse as strong as 150 horses power. By the way, yesterday on Eurosport during the Dakar programme, I saw the commercial of R. :
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #2006
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Here in the UK I think the need for an R is limited also it IS too tall for me and i'm not keen on the 19" front, I would be looking at fitting road based rubber,
coming from a Tiger 1050 so primarily lookin for a road bike the 1190 is a great looker and liked the 990 previously it just wasn't as good as a 1050 (for me),
the new 1190 is sounding like a great improvement on the 990, looking forward to the demos in Feb ???
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #2007
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
At 6ft 3", the R offered a better riding position, more similar to my 990. I also prefer the looks of the R over the base model.

I'd be interested to know if the smaller a wheels will fit the R, so you can 2 sets for different riding...

Anyone spec'd theirs yet? mine is on order. 5 years ago, i thought heated grips were for wimps, but now the Heated seat looks an interesting option!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #2008
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
At 6ft 3", the R offered a better riding position, more similar to my 990. I also prefer the looks of the R over the base model.

I'd be interested to know if the smaller a wheels will fit the R, so you can 2 sets for different riding...

Anyone spec'd theirs yet? mine is on order. 5 years ago, i thought heated grips were for wimps, but now the Heated seat looks an interesting option!
how two bikes the same can look so different, eh,
wheels. seat, paint and a small screen, that's it,
to be honest a new one is at the mo way outta my pocket,
my mate is looking at one but has also put a holding deposit on a new w/cooled GS, he specked a KTM before the GS price was announced when they were both bikes were within 50,
Personally I would have the KTM every time but at GS prices they may have people thinking twice
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #2009
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post

I'm sure Woody will have wheel options at some point.

+1 on heated anything. I used to think it was for weekend warriors. Until a few 500 mile trips absolutely freezing my ass off....
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #2010
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I'm sure Woody will have wheel options at some point.

+1 on heated anything. I used to think it was for weekend warriors. Until a few 500 mile trips absolutely freezing my ass off....

I see this ^^^ inmate in too many motorcycle threads.

Not only is he a hard-headed individual, who apparently doesn't learn his lessons. But, he needs another motorcycle like he needs an extra hole in his head...

...not to mention the fact that, if he shows-up with yet another two-wheeled vehicle, his new bride will probably kill his ass.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote