ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #2176
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Palomar Mountain
Oddometer: 163
Visor Down Review

to Ben at Visor Down for touching on a glaring problem unmentioned in other reviews I've read to date:

"Our test models were equipped KTMs Electronic Damping System. With just a few taps of the bar-mounted buttons you can adjust the preload to one of four settings at a standstill and adjust the damping to one of three settings, Sport, Street and Comfort on the go...
...The non-EDS bikes feature 25 clicks of compression and rebound damping and Im confident that those who like fiddling with suspension would prefer a non-EDS bike, while those who want a quick bit of adjustability will benefit from the ease of EDS. KTM missed a trick by not letting you dial your own settings into their pre-programmed modes.
"

Well I'm confident that those who shell out the $ for this bike want EDS and the ability to dial in custom settings for the 4 preload choices and the 3 damping settings.
Just like Ducati has been offering us since 2010 on their Multistrada.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #2177
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post

Well I'm confident that those who shell out the $ for this bike want EDS and the ability to dial in custom settings for the 4 preload choices and the 3 damping settings.
Just like Ducati has been offering us since 2010 on their Multistrada.
ducati one step beyond that now with skyhook. I dont want eds at all, it would be nice if a stripped down bike could be had at a meaningful discount but probably 500 less
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2178
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
ducati one step beyond that now with skyhook. I dont want eds at all, it would be nice if a stripped down bike could be had at a meaningful discount but probably 500 less
Anyone else notice that the upcoming Caponord 1200 is also using a Sachs Skyhook system?

The Skyhook system looks modular enough (and cheap enough) to be found on a lot of bikes in the near future, methinks, especially when you consider the fact that Sachs has a strong working relationship with just about every motorcycle manufacturer.

That said, KTM spent a fair bit of dosh buying WP back in the day, so it probably makes more sense for them to stay "in-house" with an electronic suspension. But from what I gather, the manual suspension Adv. 1190 will be a fair bit cheaper, but is special order only.
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #2179
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
umitc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Istanbul
Oddometer: 318
Visordown has a review of 1190. According to him, at 80 mph, at top gear for 5 miles, he had 61 mpg. Motorways, fast A roads and twisty mountain roads averaged 45 mpg. :-)))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #2180
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
Visordown has a review of 1190. According to him, at 80 mph, at top gear for 5 miles, he had 61 mpg.
Motorways, fast A roads and twisty mountain roads averaged 45 mpg. :-)))
I saw that.
Also said low end acceleration was nice and smooth.
Looks like they finally nailed the FI mapping on v-twins.

What a great time to be in the market for big adventure trailie/tourers.
Tons of great bikes with most of the bugs worked out.
__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #2181
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
Visordown has a review of 1190. According to him, at 80 mph, at top gear for 5 miles, he had 61 mpg. Motorways, fast A roads and twisty mountain roads averaged 45 mpg. :-)))
So about 50mpg US on the highway and 38 mph US when twisting the throttle.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #2182
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
So about 50mpg US on the highway and 38 mph US when twisting the throttle.
Prius numbers. Amazing.
__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #2183
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss
 
6USMC6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The "Upper" Valley of the Shenandoah.
Oddometer: 4,445
Or BMW numbers.

I have an older R1200ST and it does roughly the same. The worst tank ever, 180 miles of twisties in VA/WV coal country came in at 34. Later the same day, just riding mainly straights and sweepers, it came in at 51. Considering that I have roughly the same wet weight (507), a 1170cc twin and roughly 95 horsepower (as opposed to the 1190s 150), if the KTM actually gets 38 to 51mpg I'd call it good.
__________________
Mike -

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #2184
Khayman
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Stockholm "the frikkin ice-box", Sweden
Oddometer: 3
KTM 1190 ordered

Hi all!

Just ordered my 1190 after having read some of the reviews from the launch event that ended today.

The regular 1190 with Akrapovic silencer and heated grips came in at 152 000 swedish crowns ( about 22 400 USD). The dealer came down to 145 000 (roughly 21 300 USD) and comped me the first scheduled maintenance. The negotiation was pretty much me asking him what the best price for my desired configuration was.

I'm convinced Sweden is a pretty expensive country to buy a bike in ( hats of to our neighbours in Norway and Denmark for making it feel like we're getting it cheap ) so I'm guessing these prices are higher then larger markets could expect to see.

Now I just have to wait for 2 bloody months until the fugly snow goes away and I can ride my new baby.

Ride safe
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #2185
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayman View Post
Hi all!

Just ordered my 1190 after having read some of the reviews from the launch event that ended today.

The regular 1190 with Akrapovic silencer and heated grips came in at 152 000 swedish crowns ( about 22 400 USD). The dealer came down to 145 000 (roughly 21 300 USD) and comped me the first scheduled maintenance. The negotiation was pretty much me asking him what the best price for my desired configuration was.

I'm convinced Sweden is a pretty expensive country to buy a bike in ( hats of to our neighbours in Norway and Denmark for making it feel like we're getting it cheap ) so I'm guessing these prices are higher then larger markets could expect to see.

Now I just have to wait for 2 bloody months until the fugly snow goes away and I can ride my new baby.

Ride safe
Congrats and welcome to the Asylum.
Your entry fee will be pics and a thorough ride report.
Whats gas cost in Sweden these days?
__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #2186
Khayman
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Stockholm "the frikkin ice-box", Sweden
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Asylum.
Your entry fee will be pics and a thorough ride report.
Whats gas cost in Sweden these days?
Thnx for the welcome. I'll gladly post pics once the ice age ends and my beast can find it's way to my garage

I usually make a point of NOT thinking about gas cost since it's not benefiting my mental health but here goes.

The price for one litre of gas is around 14,53, that's 2,14 USD for 0,26 US gallons.

I hope those numbers make all american readers feel less angry about "expensive" fuel in the US
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #2187
southernADV
Gnarly Adventurer
 
southernADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Salta, Argentina
Oddometer: 108
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayman View Post
Hi all!

Just ordered my 1190 after having read some of the reviews from the launch event that ended today.

The regular 1190 with Akrapovic silencer and heated grips came in at 152 000 swedish crowns ( about 22 400 USD). The dealer came down to 145 000 (roughly 21 300 USD) and comped me the first scheduled maintenance. The negotiation was pretty much me asking him what the best price for my desired configuration was.

I'm convinced Sweden is a pretty expensive country to buy a bike in ( hats of to our neighbours in Norway and Denmark for making it feel like we're getting it cheap ) so I'm guessing these prices are higher then larger markets could expect to see.

Now I just have to wait for 2 bloody months until the fugly snow goes away and I can ride my new baby.

Ride safe
You have luck;here in Argentina a 990 cost near 40000 us dolars
__________________
Never enough.......
southernADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #2188
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,397
A lot of talk about mpg - I guess people are concerned about running costs and fuel range ?

Well compared to the 990 the bigger tank and better fuel consumption will sort the fuel range.

And don't forget that the service intervals are much greater than the 990 so service costs per mile will also work out way lower.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #2189
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
A lot of talk about mpg - I guess people are concerned about running costs and fuel range ?

Well compared to the 990 the bigger tank and better fuel consumption will sort the fuel range.

And don't forget that the service intervals are much greater than the 990 so service costs per mile will also work out way lower.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
IMHO that's the only thing wrong with the lc8. A buddy of mine says his passes everything but a gas station. With a range of 250+ miles the lc8 would be the super awesome.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #2190
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Palomar Mountain
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
A lot of talk about mpg - I guess people are concerned about running costs and fuel range ?

Well compared to the 990 the bigger tank and better fuel consumption will sort the fuel range.

And don't forget that the service intervals are much greater than the 990 so service costs per mile will also work out way lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
But don't forget to add timing belt replacements on the 1190 services compared to the longer lasting timing chain on the 990 engine.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014