Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #2221
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
MCN obviously means that the KTM has a fatter torque curve.
That's my thought.

Back on pricing ... I just saw the price here in Chile:

990: $23,241
1190: $24,510
1190R: $24,806

Not bad.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #2222
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Seems KTM are going to have pretty much world pricing. Australian prices look good also. I was at local BMW dealer yesterday and they have droped prices for the new GS , not by as much as they should but still unlike Ducati whose price is in the $35,000 $US mark for the Multi.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #2223
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Re the Weight

The Ducati fueled weight of 220 Kilos compares to 230 kgs for the KTM , I have used different sources. The Ducati weight however is for the non ABS and Standard suspension. I also note that the KTM figures for power are 110 Kw, which is .5 higher than Ducati. All subject to who is telling the story. For me I don't care to much , the power of both is very good , my interest in the KTM is about different factors , mostly the issues that drive me mad with Ducati .
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #2224
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
here in the UK the stock 1190 is a 1100 more than a stock GS and specking one up to a similar GS is more expensive,
AT those prices they will struggle to infiltrate the GS clan,
BMW seemed to hang back a while after the launch before announcing their pricing, funnily enough just after KTM
personally I would have the KTM every time but I think they have their work cut out justifying the price (here in the UK)
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2225
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersteve View Post
here in the UK the stock 1190 is a 1100 more than a stock GS and specking one up to a similar GS is more expensive,
AT those prices they will struggle to infiltrate the GS clan,
BMW seemed to hang back a while after the launch before announcing their pricing, funnily enough just after KTM
personally I would have the KTM every time but I think they have their work cut out justifying the price (here in the UK)
I must admit, I was surprised to see that the GS was cheaper. Although the KTM is still cheaper than a Multi, yet Ducati seem to sell a lot of those!

KTM do seem to have got the styling wrong on the base 1190- far too bland. The R looks good though!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #2226
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
MCN obviously means that the KTM has a fatter torque curve.
This!

It is the area under the curve that matters in application. Peak numbers are nothing but one data point. Unless you have a CVT to always run engine at that point, you are ignoring reality by over simplifying the comparison.

The fueling of the RC8R (dual spark same engine in 1190adv) is leaps and bounds better than MTS1200 so I imagine even if on dyno they are even, the katoom will feel (be) faster just rolling on the throttle under most conditions.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #2227
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
I get it now. MCN is simply parrotting a claim from KTM, which says on one of its web pages for the bike:

"The new 1190 Adventure sets the standard for the whole travel segment: 150 hp with a weight of only 230 kg fully tanked give rise to a power-to-weight ratio previously unheard of in this class and hence to unrivalled ride dynamics."

So, obviously KTM does not consider the Multistrada to be a member of the class.

They are saying that it is a lot more powerful than a GS or an Adventure 990 and a lot lighter than an Explorer, Stelvio, Crosstourer or Super Ten. Anything with a 17-inch front wheel and sports-profile rubber doesn't count.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #2228
Redxjs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
Sod it, couldn't help myself, ordered a 1190 R the other week, from what i can see i think i will have one of the few ones delivered in Scotland from the first build. Roll on the start of March!!
Hopefully picking mine up next week :)))))
Redxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #2229
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
I get it now. MCN is simply parrotting a claim from KTM, which says on one of its web pages for the bike:

"The new 1190 Adventure sets the standard for the whole travel segment: 150 hp with a weight of only 230 kg fully tanked give rise to a power-to-weight ratio previously unheard of in this class and hence to unrivalled ride dynamics."

So, obviously KTM does not consider the Multistrada to be a member of the class.

They are saying that it is a lot more powerful than a GS or an Adventure 990 and a lot lighter than an Explorer, Stelvio, Crosstourer or Super Ten. Anything with a 17-inch front wheel and sports-profile rubber doesn't count.
Well I have the new Multi Strada Promotion Booklet from the dealer. The equivalent Multi to the KTM has a weight of 224 KGs according to the Ducati Material. Consider that the Multi has less fuel , the KTM might beat it ? In any case a very close contest. The lightest Multi is now 196 Kgs empty , so over 200kgs with fuel. If we go to one with a few options ie: KTM spec level then I'd say very close. THe Ducati booklet says power is up 110.3 Kw , this is just so marginal not worth a debate. In reality we need someone to weigh both bikes.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #2230
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Peak HP is about the same. The Multistrada is about 30 lbs lighter than the 1190 Adventure.
The Ducati wet weight figures weren't exactly realistic. Real-world numbers on a scale put it about 30 pounds heavier with a full tank of fuel than what Ducati claims. Add panniers/mounts and electronic suspension and it goes up even more. It's light for the class, but it's not sub-500 pounds wet, never has been.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #2231
surfted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
It looks like the adventure has shorter wheelbase and longer trail compared to adventure r. How does this affect the bikes in feel and stability?
surfted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #2232
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfted View Post
It looks like the adventure has shorter wheelbase and longer trail compared to adventure r. How does this affect the bikes in feel and stability?
Probably the former has a more stable front end and a more forward and lower weight distribution.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #2233
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
The Ducati wet weight figures weren't exactly realistic. Real-world numbers on a scale put it about 30 pounds heavier with a full tank of fuel than what Ducati claims. Add panniers/mounts and electronic suspension and it goes up even more. It's light for the class, but it's not sub-500 pounds wet, never has been.
US subscription only mag Motorcycle Consumer News measured the Multi at 503.5lbs wet, or 228.4kg.

Pretty sure they do theirs with full tank. They had the S-Sport model, so no panniers, no centrestand, and bits and pieces in carbon fibre.

KTM claims 230kg (507lbs) tank full for the Adventure 1190. Given the tank holds an extra 3 Litres and a centrestand is standard, that would put the core bike at Multi weight or slightly better.

But that is if KTM's claim can be replicated elsewhere.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #2234
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
I must admit, I was surprised to see that the GS was cheaper. Although the KTM is still cheaper than a Multi, yet Ducati seem to sell a lot of those!

KTM do seem to have got the styling wrong on the base 1190- far too bland. The R looks good though!
Believe it or not it's only paintwork and a short smoked screen

Sent from my Sony Ericsson arc s using Tapatalk 2
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #2235
mobileman
West Lothian

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redxjs View Post
Hopefully picking mine up next week :)))))
mobileman is offline   Reply With Quote