Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #2656
hagenp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
obviously it's difficult to keep the frontwheel down with the traction-control switched off
i have to wait at least 1 more week before i can pick up my 1190 R...
hagenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #2657
GVWR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Just took the R for a little 2hour tour together with my wife on some twisty back roads.

Didn't feel the need to adjust the suspension (my wife is 58kg).
The footrests are perfect, I didn't have any problems with the boots since the riders feet are closer to the bike and the passengers feet sit a little wider on the steps so next to each other, smart solution. My wife said she was feeling very comfortable (she was afraid on the Multi to drop off due to "on/off" character of the engine).

Riding position and the seat, but very much also the smoothness of the bike are very good for the wellbeing of your pilion. Much better than on the Multi (however I have the idea that steps for the pilion are a little higher than on the Multi).
According to her it's GSA level comfort, seat is firmer than on GSA which is probably even more comfortable on longer rides. And I myself really like the one piece seat which allows better contact with the pilion.

Guys ... the suspension of the R model is really awesome (really) !!

Just went on a hard packed piece of fire-road with huge holes (the kind of road the R tells you to go ;-) and my wife was afraid she might get launched :-)

Well she was absolutely surprised (and me too) about the way the suspension handled that punishment. Wow! This bike will take you anywhere with a smile (or 2 smiles:-) off course with the right tyres mounted.

tbc

GVWR screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 11:31 AM
GVWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #2658
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVWR View Post
Just took the R for a little 2hour tour together with my wife on some twisty back roads.

Didn't feel the need to adjust the suspension (my wife is 58kg).
The footrests are perfect, I didn't have any problems with the boots since the riders feet are closer to the bike and the passengers feet sit a little wider on the steps so next to each other, smart solution. My wife said she was feeling very comfortable (she was afraid on the Multi to drop off due to "on/off" character of the engine).

Riding position and the seat, but very much also the smoothness of the bike are very good for the wellbeing of your pilion. Much better than on the Multi (however I have the idea that steps for the pilion are a little higher than on the Multi).
According to her it's GSA level comfort, seat is firmer than on GSA which is probably even more comfortable on longer rides. And I myself really like the one piece seat which allows better contact with the pilion.

Guys ... the suspension of the R model is really awsome (really) !!

Just went on a hard packed piece of fire-road with huge holes (the kind of road the R tells you to go ;-) and my wife was afraid she might get launched :-)

Well she was absolutely surprised (and me too) about the way the suspension handled that punishment. Wow! This bike will take you anywhere with a smile (or 2 smiles:-) off course with the right tyres mounted.

tbc
All this info does not bode well for my 990 Supermoto R. Good thing the new Adventure will not be in the states for awhile so I can think about it some more
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #2659
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
An exuberant new owner or tester has recently posted this vid.

Gives a very nice sense of the strength of the motor, after a bit of warm-up time.
what is the flashing red light? how do you turn it off? it seems to flash at 8000 rpm, is it adjustable? i hope that is not redline!
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #2660
Wuffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
If you mean that in the right upper corner , it is Shift light, you can adjust by yourself.
Wuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #2661
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
what is the flashing red light? how do you turn it off? it seems to flash at 8000 rpm, is it adjustable? i hope that is not redline!
I think what it is a preset rev limiter light,and it is probably set at 8 grand for break in, Some bikes have them so you can adjust them to where you want to shift at.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #2662
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Just from watching that video, it i think a test ride is going to be very tough on my wallet
Looking forward to their late summer launch in Canada.I don't think i will be missing my 950S much longer.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #2663
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
I think what it is a preset rev limiter light,and it is probably set at 8 grand for break in, Some bikes have them so you can adjust them to where you want to shift at.
I my post at page 171, I described that there is a shift light just like on sports bikes. In the settings, you can set the rpm at which it will blink and at which it will burn constantly. The manual states presets at 8500 and 10500 rpm and a Shift Light Status of On. You can also turn it off.
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #2664
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Any one can please post a link or photo of the back rack or carrier plate for the 1190?
Not sure what you mean. The stock rack on the bike can be seen in various KTM pictures (here with the optional KTM bags mounted, which are a little too large for my taste):

For attaching a roll or bag, the stock rack is more that adequate.

The carrier plate for the Touratech aluminum top case (also sold as a KTM part) looks like this on my bike:

Side view:

Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #2665
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Just from watching that video, it i think a test ride is going to be very tough on my wallet
Looking forward to their late summer launch in Canada.I don't think i will be missing my 950S much longer.
Looks like it's tough on the drivers license aswell.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #2666
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Exuberant.....yea, thats a good word for it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
An exuberant new owner or tester has recently posted this vid.

Gives a very nice sense of the strength of the motor, after a bit of warm-up time.

It's a shame he'll only be able to ride his new bike for a month or so before he either loses his license, meets a tractor coming out of one of those little farms or his wife see's the video he made!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #2667
rwcfrank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
WOW!!!! That is a great indication of how that KTM flies. I really had my heart set on a Mutlistrada but it looks like I may be adding another KTM to the barn.......
rwcfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #2668
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Looks like he went to 224kph which is 139mph. The bike really launches easily it seems. What an engine to compete with sport bikes, but can still go off road.

amazing.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #2669
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,324
I'd love to see an equivalent video offroad?

As someone that's owned many 175+hp crotch rockets.. the onroad wheelies at 100mph make me go :meh:
I've owned bikes that will go 106mph in 1st gear and will wheelie in all 6 gears at the flick of a wrist

...now crossing it up sideways down a dirt road with the front wheel in the air and the back wheel spinning...

Lets see the important side of the equation!

I wanna see a video that shows me why this thing is better than a v-strom?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #2670
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
It's a shame he'll only be able to ride his new bike for a month or so before he either loses his license, meets a tractor coming out of one of those little farms or his wife see's the video he made!
That's exactly what I was thinking, only a question of time, some people seem to have nothing to lose.
Great motorcycle though!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote