Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #2776
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by robxxx View Post
The more I read about the 1190, the more I want one.
BUT...Can one of you guys with one please tell me how WIDE it is?
I know it's a stupid question, but I have to get any bike I own down a passage that's a little narrow. My Tiger 955i squeezes through, but some of the newer adventure/touring bikes are just too wide at the bars to pass.
Just measured the one sitting in the garage

The standard model is about 78cm bar end to bar end. I think the R is a little wider

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #2777
Wuffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by robxxx View Post
The more I read about the 1190, the more I want one.
BUT...Can one of you guys with one please tell me how WIDE it is?
I know it's a stupid question, but I have to get any bike I own down a passage that's a little narrow. My Tiger 955i squeezes through, but some of the newer adventure/touring bikes are just too wide at the bars to pass.

89cm between hand-protectors, i put it through the 90cm door from garage to cellar
Ciao
P.s.: Oh, i was late, i see. 78cm really is from bar end to bar end but not overall wideness. Mirrors are 88cm at my bike. My bike also is standard 1190.

Wuffi screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 01:27 AM
Wuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #2778
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuffi View Post
89cm between hand-protectors, i put it through the 90cm door from garage to cellar
Ciao
P.s.: Oh, i was late, i see. 78cm really is from bar end to bar end but not overall wideness. Mirrors are 88cm at my bike. My bike also is standard 1190.
True - mirrors are slightly wider than the bars - next time I will wake up and use my eyes when I go into the garage early in the morning

Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #2779
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Just measured the one sitting in the garage

The standard model is about 78cm bar end to bar end. I think the R is a little wider
the R is 83 cm, 89 cm from mirrow to mirrow.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #2780
Portman
Portman

Oddometer: 47
1190 test ride impressions

I was able to take a road-only test ride last week of approx. 20 miles on a base 1190 ADV (but with EDS) thanks to the very helpful and pleasant guys at Bikers in Jersey (British Isles).

Jersey is only a small island so no chance to give the motor a free run; predominantly just limited speed urban-type riding. Weather was dry, sunny but cold (around 6C).

I currently have a 2011 990 ADV (std version) so I was interested to see how the new bike compared.

First impressions were that the bike (an orange one) looked better than in pictures, although, in my opinion, it does not make as strong a statement as the 990. No 1190 R at the dealer, which look better in pictures (to me anyway). Build quality looked high, as I would have expected. Instruments are a big improvement although a little strange that the two displays do not appear the same (look at the promotional images to see what I mean). The switchgear looks and feels fine, although the indicator switch uses microswitches so has very little movement which feels strange at first. I donít like the single silencer, although the design does look OK for a single outlet.

There is a small lidded cubby hole to the right of the instruments (but much smaller than the between-tank compartment on the 990) and a power socket to the left of them. Couldnít see any weathersealing to the cubby hole. Underseat storage seems similar to the ABS 990 and the tool roll also looks similar (I didnít open the roll).

Engine on and it sounds fine with a nice rich (but not loud) sound from that single silencer. The motor sounds mechanically quieter than my 990 and with a nice whine when revved.

Folding the side stand needs effort, although putting it out seems to be easier.

Setting off and I notice how very light the clutch is, not silly light as with a trials bike. Plenty of feel though. At initial low speeds the steering feels a trifle strange with a small amount of weave. Could be because I am used to a 21 inch front wheel or perhaps due to the steering damper. In no time this sensation goes; I guess I become used to it.

Opening the throttle and the power feels very smooth, almost as if I donít have 150bhp there (itís on street setting) but the motor feels strong and as I say, smooth. Gearbox fine, as are the lower ratio spacings.

I have the seat on the higher setting (Iím just over 6ft, 1.83m, 34 inch, 864mm inseam) but I feel as if I am sitting on top of the bike, not in it like I felt I was in the showroom on the lower setting. The std windshield is on its highest setting (but not tilted back) and I am getting some wind blast on my helmet. Tilting the screen backwards makes things worse. Seat to peg relationship feels fine as does seat to floor and seat to bars. Seat is more comfortable than the 990, although it is not luxuriously padded.

I stop, lower the seat and tilt the screen forward again and immediately feel much happier, although the peg to seat relationship means my knees are more bent than on the 990 (might be an issue over longer distances, donít know). Apparently the pegs can be altered but not clear if this is up or down and it probably needs tools.

Getting used to the bike now and Iím bonding with it more. Itís certainly more refined than the 990 and easier to ride (at these low speeds anyway). The exhaust growls very nicely once the revs rise above 5 to 6 thousand but I notice very little intake noise (personally I like the intake noise with the 990 since unlike the exhaust noise it is not carried away to the same extent by the wind).

The motor spins up nicely and speedily (the change light flashes every now and then) and I am deceived how fast I am travelling. I try the brakes, hard, and whoa, what stopping power! I havenít noticed the linked braking Ė by that I mean it must have been working unobtrusively, just the way it should be. I also try the back brake only, hard, and the ABS kicks in smoothly.

The suspension is set on ďcomfortĒ and it soaks up the bumps and potholes well. I leave it set at that as I donít like hard suspension settings.

On one occasion I have to use the horn Ė what a pathetic, weak noise it makes. Come on KTM; fit something worthy of the beast.

Having gone around 10 miles Iím wondering why the power isnít frightening me (another 50 odd HP over the 990 should be obvious) so I change the power setting to sport. The throttle response is much sharper, similar to the 990 although I strongly suspect I make speed much faster. Sport setting brings more character to the bike for me, something I felt had been lacking up to now. I didnít alter the traction control settings and I doubt if this was activated as I didnít try opening the throttle wide and seeing what happens!

I would have loved to just carry on riding, exploring the bikeís capabilities more and more (well as much as my meagre abilities would allow), but I decide I should return to the dealer. I travel through town and even on sport mode the bike is much easier through slow traffic than the 990. The KTM guys have sure done some good work on programming throttle inputs versus power response. I suspect this bike will be terrific on the rough stuff, especially the tricky trails.

I reach the dealer and put the bike on the main stand (a very easy process, even easier than the 2011 and later 990s with their modified stands) and let the engine run to see how much noise the cooling fans make Ė I couldnít hear it/them running over the engine which is more clattery now it is hot. Quieter than my 990 which has always been noisier than my previous 2008 990 was. The hot air comes out of a slot in the right hand tank/fairing but itís not possible to tell if this would be a problem in hot weather as someone else has mentioned.

Reluctantly I switch the engine off and hand the keys back. If only dealers would let us have unlimited use of their demo bikes Ė oh they do you say, you just have to pay them the sticker price. Damn businesses, why canít they be charities!

Would I swop my 990 for an 1190? If money were no object I would buy an 1190 and try it before (possibly) selling the 990. Why? Iíd like to be sure the ergonomics suit me. Also Iím not sure if the 1190 offers enough character, which with the 990 is always ďin your faceĒ. The 1190 may have buckets-full of character, just that at the speeds I could do on the test ride I didnít come across a lot of it.

But is it a good bike and have KTM done a good job Ė absolutely!
Portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #2781
robxxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuffi View Post
Ciao
Thanks Wuffi and the rest of you. At least that's one on the list now.
Tiger Explorer, Multistrada and BM (Thankfully!) all too wide.
robxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #2782
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portman View Post
The hot air comes out of a slot in the right hand tank/fairing but itís not possible to tell if this would be a problem in hot weather as someone else has mentioned.
I can tell you, it will be a problem; the water temperature on the 990 used to come up at even the red light stops and at the same time the bike became very hot. The temperature of 1190 never moved up even a small bit so far, but yes the bike itself becomes too hot; having this idea at 20s C degrees weather, I am afraid it will be worse than the 990 soon in summer days. I am still expecting the Akrapovic arrive, who knows it can help a little bit, but for me this, is a big problem. I can not understand why they don't lean on this matter; can not imagine how hot it will become in southern places. Thd rest, I am very satisfied so far with the 1190. It's light, it's fast, has a lot of electronic toys, has a nice orange color; almost everything which you can expect from an adventure bike.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #2783
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
... the bike itself becomes too hot; having this idea at 20s C degrees weather, I am afraid it will be worse than the 990 soon in summer days. I am still expecting the Akrapovic arrive, who knows it can help a little bit, but for me this, is a big problem. I can not understand why they don't lean on this matter; can not imagine how hot it will become in southern places. ...
I assume the Akrapovic mod leaves the catalytic converter intact. I would be interested to hear if removing the cat has a noticeable effect on the heat radiating onto the rider. Let's hear from someone that has tried this.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #2784
Redxjs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Easter Monday

So..... First proper ride on my Adventure today. 210 miles from Edinburgh to Loch Tay then down to Glasgow and home.

Very chilly, between 2 and 7 degrees. Lots of snow all around but clear if salty
:-( roads. Despite still running it in the other guys didn't keep pace with it.

It inspires so much confidence and feels like a mixture of my old Street Triple R and Tiger 800 XC but with MUCH more Grrrrrrrrrunt. It was amazingly sure-footed in all sorts of conditions today. ( no rain but damp roads, muddy roads, gritty roads etc. And as for over takes..... Despite the 6000 rpm limit, it just goes! ZOOOM and you're past.

I took a chance ordering it without even seeing it. I have no regrets whatsoever.

This bike is Amazeballs!
Redxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #2785
aus636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
1190 ADV on dirt

So can anyone give me feed back on 1190 how it is on the dirt? As I am interested on how the 19/120 tyre rides in the loose stuff?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #2786
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
So can anyone give me feed back on 1190 how it is on the dirt? As I am interested on how the 19/120 tyre rides in the loose stuff?
I think you are going to have to wait a bit longer for those sorts of ride reports. The few lucky guys that have the early new bike are only just getting them and still running them in. Plus the weather on mainland Europe (certainly in the North) is still pretty awful at the moment, much colder than normal for this time of year.

My 1190R does not arrive until late April, though by the time all the extra's have arrived for it, it will probably be early May. But I'll write something up as soon as I have something useful to say.

In the meantime, there is this thread, which includes some off-road comments. Joe Pilcher got hold of one of the first bikes and took it on a little jaunt into Africa: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...841341&page=12 He was on the R version, so had the 18/21 size wheels, but its still a good read.
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #2787
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was able to take a road-only test ride last week of approx. 20 miles on a base 1190 ADV (but with EDS) thanks to the very helpful and pleasant guys at Bikers in Jersey (British Isles).

Jersey is only a small island so no chance to give the motor a free run; predominantly just limited speed urban-type riding. Weather was dry, sunny but cold (around 6C).

I currently have a 2011 990 ADV (std version) so I was interested to see how the new bike compared.

First impressions were that the bike (an orange one) looked better than in pictures, although, in my opinion, it does not make as strong a statement as the 990. No 1190 R at the dealer, which look better in pictures (to me anyway). Build quality looked high, as I would have expected. Instruments are a big improvement although a little strange that the two displays do not appear the same (look at the promotional images to see what I mean). The switchgear looks and feels fine, although the indicator switch uses microswitches so has very little movement which feels strange at first. I donít like the single silencer, although the design does look OK for a single outlet.

There is a small lidded cubby hole to the right of the instruments (but much smaller than the between-tank compartment on the 990) and a power socket to the left of them. Couldnít see any weathersealing to the cubby hole. Underseat storage seems similar to the ABS 990 and the tool roll also looks similar (I didnít open the roll).

Engine on and it sounds fine with a nice rich (but not loud) sound from that single silencer. The motor sounds mechanically quieter than my 990 and with a nice whine when revved.

Folding the side stand needs effort, although putting it out seems to be easier.

Setting off and I notice how very light the clutch is, not silly light as with a trials bike. Plenty of feel though. At initial low speeds the steering feels a trifle strange with a small amount of weave. Could be because I am used to a 21 inch front wheel or perhaps due to the steering damper. In no time this sensation goes; I guess I become used to it.

Opening the throttle and the power feels very smooth, almost as if I donít have 150bhp there (itís on street setting) but the motor feels strong and as I say, smooth. Gearbox fine, as are the lower ratio spacings.

I have the seat on the higher setting (Iím just over 6ft, 1.83m, 34 inch, 864mm inseam) but I feel as if I am sitting on top of the bike, not in it like I felt I was in the showroom on the lower setting. The std windshield is on its highest setting (but not tilted back) and I am getting some wind blast on my helmet. Tilting the screen backwards makes things worse. Seat to peg relationship feels fine as does seat to floor and seat to bars. Seat is more comfortable than the 990, although it is not luxuriously padded.

I stop, lower the seat and tilt the screen forward again and immediately feel much happier, although the peg to seat relationship means my knees are more bent than on the 990 (might be an issue over longer distances, donít know). Apparently the pegs can be altered but not clear if this is up or down and it probably needs tools.

Getting used to the bike now and Iím bonding with it more. Itís certainly more refined than the 990 and easier to ride (at these low speeds anyway). The exhaust growls very nicely once the revs rise above 5 to 6 thousand but I notice very little intake noise (personally I like the intake noise with the 990 since unlike the exhaust noise it is not carried away to the same extent by the wind).

The motor spins up nicely and speedily (the change light flashes every now and then) and I am deceived how fast I am travelling. I try the brakes, hard, and whoa, what stopping power! I havenít noticed the linked braking Ė by that I mean it must have been working unobtrusively, just the way it should be. I also try the back brake only, hard, and the ABS kicks in smoothly.

The suspension is set on ďcomfortĒ and it soaks up the bumps and potholes well. I leave it set at that as I donít like hard suspension settings.

On one occasion I have to use the horn Ė what a pathetic, weak noise it makes. Come on KTM; fit something worthy of the beast.

Having gone around 10 miles Iím wondering why the power isnít frightening me (another 50 odd HP over the 990 should be obvious) so I change the power setting to sport. The throttle response is much sharper, similar to the 990 although I strongly suspect I make speed much faster. Sport setting brings more character to the bike for me, something I felt had been lacking up to now. I didnít alter the traction control settings and I doubt if this was activated as I didnít try opening the throttle wide and seeing what happens!

I would have loved to just carry on riding, exploring the bikeís capabilities more and more (well as much as my meagre abilities would allow), but I decide I should return to the dealer. I travel through town and even on sport mode the bike is much easier through slow traffic than the 990. The KTM guys have sure done some good work on programming throttle inputs versus power response. I suspect this bike will be terrific on the rough stuff, especially the tricky trails.

I reach the dealer and put the bike on the main stand (a very easy process, even easier than the 2011 and later 990s with their modified stands) and let the engine run to see how much noise the cooling fans make Ė I couldnít hear it/them running over the engine which is more clattery now it is hot. Quieter than my 990 which has always been noisier than my previous 2008 990 was. The hot air comes out of a slot in the right hand tank/fairing but itís not possible to tell if this would be a problem in hot weather as someone else has mentioned.

Reluctantly I switch the engine off and hand the keys back. If only dealers would let us have unlimited use of their demo bikes Ė oh they do you say, you just have to pay them the sticker price. Damn businesses, why canít they be charities!

Would I swop my 990 for an 1190? If money were no object I would buy an 1190 and try it before (possibly) selling the 990. Why? Iíd like to be sure the ergonomics suit me. Also Iím not sure if the 1190 offers enough character, which with the 990 is always ďin your faceĒ. The 1190 may have buckets-full of character, just that at the speeds I could do on the test ride I didnít come across a lot of it.

But is it a good bike and have KTM done a good job Ė absolutely!
Glad you liked it and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts

Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2788
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
If only dealers would let us have unlimited use of their demo bikes Ė oh they do you say, you just have to pay them the sticker price
These guys at bikersjersey ... what a nerve!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #2789
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
First impressions were that the bike (an orange one) looked better than in pictures, although, in my opinion, it does not make as strong a statement as the 990. No 1190 R at the dealer, which look better in pictures (to me anyway).
My thoughts exactly regarding the looks, I think the S version is not KTM enough, while the R is like "WOW". I know for my needs the S model would be more suitable but the R just really does it for me in terms of looks. Enough that I may be willing to sacrifice better handling in twisties, but on the other hand I would get the advantage when off-road. Supposedly the orange crash bars can be fitted on the S model as well, that might help with the "adventure" look. But the final choice will happen when I see and test ride both of them.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #2790
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
... The temperature of 1190 never moved up even a small bit so far, but yes the bike itself becomes too hot; ...
I assume, you mean the gauge readings. It seems, that in modern vehicles, like in our car, too, the gauge reading never exceeds 90įC, no matter how long you stay in traffic and how hot the air temperature is. When the real temperature of the engine exceeds a critical value, then a red light warns the driver. But then, the temps are very high.

I have heard, that these constant reading should prevent customers bringing their bikes to the dealer all the time.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote