Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #2971
southernADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Eek Wtf????????

i dont know if its already posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOx4iq2VbvI
I cant believe that top speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #2972
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
I had a look at both the 1190s at my local dealer today. Just arrived and all new smell, shiney, etc. Ive gotta say the thing that kept bothering me was the exhaust system that wraps under the motor just like the 990 SD which along with the oil tank seriously limits the ground clearance. Changing or modifying the headers wont help as the oil tank is still way down low.
Up until seeing it in the flesh I was very keen but that was a deal breaker for me. Everything else was nicely done, very nicely. Those couple of things were enough to take my name off the test ride list.
Long live the 950 (heres hoping)

The KTM skid has very good coverage . . . And you can lift the front wheel at will over obstacles etc . . . Get the "R" with a heavy duty skid:

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #2973
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
I had a look at both the 1190s at my local dealer today. Just arrived and all new smell, shiney, etc. Ive gotta say the thing that kept bothering me was the exhaust system that wraps under the motor just like the 990 SD which along with the oil tank seriously limits the ground clearance. Changing or modifying the headers wont help as the oil tank is still way down low.
Up until seeing it in the flesh I was very keen but that was a deal breaker for me. Everything else was nicely done, very nicely. Those couple of things were enough to take my name off the test ride list.
A lot will depend on just how hard you intend to ride it offroad - the KTM guard looks pretty substantial and I suspect it won't be long before we see even tougher ones from other suppliers. Of course a sump guard won't help increase ground clearance but will protect the motor/oil tank if it grounds out.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #2974
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Waiting for that bloody cable to get the bike running!!!!!
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #2975
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Pete, go back to the shop and get a test ride - it may not be the bike for you at the moment but it is an absolute hoot to ride ! Just make sure they tell you how to turn the electrics off before you leave the shop ...........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #2976
Anders J.
SUPERenduro

Oddometer: 29
Went to my dealer for a test ride on the 1190 Adventure yesterday. Took a 45-minute ride on various roads including some gravel. Great bike and above all great engine!
Will be testing the R-version next weekend.

Here´s a film from the ride:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQr9cBiAT8E
Anders J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #2977
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
Good stuff.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #2978
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 246
I went for a short spin this morning on some back roads, Greystones - Kilcoole- Newcastle - Rathnew and returned home on a motorway for 20k. This is a superb bike, I was in 4th gear for most of the corners on the back road, hooking 5th on the short straights, and the bike pulled cleanly. The fuel injection is perfect, zero surging, and it corners beautifully.

The spin back on the motorway was at 130 - 150 km, 130 was the sweet spot, I could sit at that speed all day, no need to downshift when moving out to overtake cars and going up to 150 / 160 km.

photo from a previous spin:

One of the items on my bucket list is to do 100,000 miles on a bike. I think I may have found the ideal bike to do this

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #2979
aus636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Waiting for that bloody cable to get the bike running!!!!!
So is that your bike sitting in Springwood Suzuki. The sales guy said they were waiting on some computer to unlock the ECU. Your going to have to much fun on that beast.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #2980
dab68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Shay, what a great shot!!!
dab68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #2981
BLIP-IT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I have just taken my new 1190R out for it's first bit of offroad and gravel, got to say, rather disappointed in the suspension, even after playing with the adjustments and settings, no where near as good as my 990R, I guess that 220mm travel is no match for the 990R with 265mm travel!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #2982
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
So is that your bike sitting in Springwood Suzuki. The sales guy said they were waiting on some computer to unlock the ECU. Your going to have to much fun on that beast.
Mine is sitting in Team moto Virginia. And yes, is just a bloody cable!. Not sure why the guys at KTM main office dont realised that, previous shipping the bikes to the dealers
Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #2983
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIP-IT View Post
I have just taken my new 1190R out for it's first bit of offroad and gravel, got to say, rather disappointed in the suspension, even after playing with the adjustments and settings, no where near as good as my 990R, I guess that 220mm travel is no match for the 990R with 265mm travel!
IMO, 45mm travel will make a difference if it is taken advantage of through the fitting of softer springs, so that the extra travel can be used.

On softer springs, the ride on the longer travel bike will feel more compliant.

If the springs are the same rate, then the extra travel won't be noticed (unless your problems with the 1190 arose from the suspension bottoming out). That is, you will simply have more in reserve, but the ride will feel the same.

So, perhaps there are other differences aside from the extra available travel.

In what way was the 1190 inferior?

Interesting report. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #2984
rubbercow80
Confused & Disorientated

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Mine is sitting in Team moto Virginia. And yes, is just a bloody cable!. Not sure why the guys at KTM main office dont realised that, previous shipping the bikes to the dealers
It is actually a new diagnostic tool (looks a bit like a laptop) the bikes have been shipped in "sleep mode" and need to be woken up using a code. I also believe it was remiss of KTM to ship the bikes and not tell the dealers that the tool was needed. The tool is also not cheap and is a cost to dealers. Our dealership has seven new 1190's sitting waiting to be delivered......not a good result for us or the customers. My 1190R is among them so I feel your pain. They have had to be sent road freight as the rules have changed about sending Lithium batteries via airfreight.....Anzac day public holiday in the middle of the week and the distance from Perth has added to the delays.Trust me not one dealership wants to delay your pickup as any pre sales go on a short floor plan. Hopefully everyone will be riding their bikes next week and this great weather will last a bit longer.
rubbercow80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #2985
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbercow80 View Post
It is actually a new diagnostic tool (looks a bit like a laptop) the bikes have been shipped in "sleep mode" and need to be woken up using a code. I also believe it was remiss of KTM to ship the bikes and not tell the dealers that the tool was needed. The tool is also not cheap and is a cost to dealers. Our dealership has seven new 1190's sitting waiting to be delivered......not a good result for us or the customers. My 1190R is among them so I feel your pain. They have had to be sent road freight as the rules have changed about sending Lithium batteries via airfreight.....Anzac day public holiday in the middle of the week and the distance from Perth has added to the delays.Trust me not one dealership wants to delay your pickup as any pre sales go on a short floor plan. Hopefully everyone will be riding their bikes next week and this great weather will last a bit longer.
Hi Rubbercow,

Thank you for the information!. Would have been good if the guys at the dealer explained this before