ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #3016
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer
 
igorpetrovich's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redxjs View Post
Makes a fair difference to me as I am 6'4" tall but i fear its benefits might be negated when my ergo seat arrives. (If it ever arrives at all....)

Much as i love my bike, I am very disappointed that KTM are unable to supply the accessories.
It took me 2 months to get my accessories too, I also ordered the penneirs (like yours) a 45 days ago I have no ideas on when I'll receive them.
I also ordered the touratech seat an I got the same problem...

I read somewere that KTM sold a lot of this bikes, it's almost sold out, there are many people waiting to receive the bikes they ordered at the begining of the year in Italy, expeccially the T model. I guess KTM is having troubles in handling this high request.
__________________
Ktm 1190 adv R------ Ktm 350 exc-f
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #3017
Redxjs
Adventurer
 
Redxjs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
It took me 2 months to get my accessories too, I also ordered the penneirs (like yours) a 45 days ago I have no ideas on when I'll receive them.
I also ordered the touratech seat an I got the same problem...

I read somewere that KTM sold a lot of this bikes, it's almost sold out, there are many people waiting to receive the bikes they ordered at the begining of the year in Italy, expeccially the T model. I guess KTM is having troubles in handling this high request.
I ordered mine in January and fair enough, demand outstripping supply for the bikes themselves ( a good thing for depreciation ) but tahts no reason for basic items such as luggage to be still unavailable. It's an adventure bike and luggage is more or less an essential requirement for most owners. I dont fancy touring France this year with a rucksack on my back because six months after ordering the bike, KTM cannot supply a top box.

Sad to say but I think that this issue will harm their reputation.
Redxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #3018
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I just finished reading the Bike test ... they picked the GS as the "winner" but frankly the KTM sounded better. MUCH faster, lighter, and good fuel economy. What's not to like? Can't wait till it's here in the US.

-dman
Yes... the KTM is the better bike for the heart... BMW for the head and they admitted as much in choosing the GS.

Quote:
(excerpt from Bike)...
The KTM stands for the simple pleasure of riding. We'd choose it for a sunny morning blast, its the most exciting and engaging, and its the sportiest. We know it can go offroad and will laugh at a pillion, too.

But the BMW feels the most rounded...Its the most comfy too, with natural ergonomics. Screen, switchgear, and clocks are the finest. And there is something else. You sense that a pillion would be the happiest on the GS, its luggage will be the most robust, that ownership would be hassle free.
Sounds to me like they were being perfectly objective. If you want a motorcycle get the KTM. If you want an appliance get the BMW.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #3019
dman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Yes... the KTM is the better bike for the heart... BMW for the head and they admitted as much in choosing the GS.

Sounds to me like they were being perfectly objective. If you want a motorcycle get the KTM. If you want an appliance get the BMW.
Not sure I agreed with Bike's comment that BMW ownership would be "hassle free". Similarly, MCN (the British one, not the American Motorcycle Consumer News) gave the BMW the nod for the "dealer experience". Huh?? Two countries separated by a different BMW organization???

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #3020
Tiggersteve
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Yes... the KTM is the better bike for the heart... BMW for the head and they admitted as much in choosing the GS.

Sounds to me like they were being perfectly objective. If you want a motorcycle get the KTM. If you want an appliance get the BMW.
i would generally agree with what has been said,
I would like to know how many of you have ridden a new GS,
my mate had an early one in '07 which i briefly rode and wondered "what on earth have you bought this for"
The new one is a very good accomplished modern motorcycle with a punchy motor,

Hoping to ride a KTM this w/end and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and will likely be my choice but believe me the BM is good,
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #3021
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Not sure I agreed with Bike's comment that BMW ownership would be "hassle free". Similarly, MCN (the British one, not the American Motorcycle Consumer News) gave the BMW the nod for the "dealer experience". Huh?? Two countries separated by a different BMW organization???

-dman
Well the dealer network is much more developed for BMW, especially in US. If you are the type of person that likes a shiny showroom, and don't mind paying for it this is a plus. You will also never work on your own bike so you rely on this shiny showroom visit frequently for service. KTM's on the other hand tend to be in simple no frill dirtbike shops run by enthusiasts. Both appeal in different ways to different people. But those with the money to drop on a premium big bike are more likely to prefer the environment that caters to them. It isn't a criticism either way, but you need to be a bit of a true motorcycle enthusiast to go for the KTM.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #3022
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bigboyxl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Czech republic - Ukraine
Oddometer: 312
So here we go - Nomada PRO panniers project is finished and ready to hit the production
here are the pictures














please ignore that pannier rack is not coloured and looks raw - it's pre-production piece
now technical details:
for staying symmetrical and narrow it was decided to make 2 size combinations:
31L (with cut on exhaust) + 38L and 38L (with cut on exhaust) + 45L
the one on the photos is 31+38L set
overall width of this set is 92 cm,
38+45L version is 100cm wide

next to come headlight protector, crashbars and bash plate
__________________
KTM LC4 640 Adventure 2006 KTM 530 EXC 2011
KTM LC8 1190 Adventure
www.alburmoto.com
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders

bigboyxl screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 12:26 PM
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #3023
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 960
Fear not, ye of little accessory patience.

My then new 2008 BMW F800GS also had to wait a couple of months for the new set of panniers and some extra bits late august 2008 - the fab debut year of said F8GS ;-)

In a year or two this saga may fare better. Enjoy the perils of being happy launch customers ;-)
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #3024
Tiggersteve
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Well the dealer network is much more developed for BMW, especially in US. If you are the type of person that likes a shiny showroom, and don't mind paying for it this is a plus. You will also never work on your own bike so you rely on this shiny showroom visit frequently for service. KTM's on the other hand tend to be in simple no frill dirtbike shops run by enthusiasts. Both appeal in different ways to different people. But those with the money to drop on a premium big bike are more likely to prefer the environment that caters to them. It isn't a criticism either way, but you need to be a bit of a true motorcycle enthusiast to go for the KTM.
fair point BUT the new 1190 isn't exactly cheap and the sort of client it is trying to attract don't want to walk into a dirt bike shop, they want the sort of environment that reflects the cost of their purchase,
It won't bother regular KTM owners I know and personally it doesn't bother me
but KTM are trying to expand their appeal clearly evident by the styling of the new 1190 which despite some hardened KTM opinionsI still think has KTM dna
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #3025
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redxjs View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redxjs/...in/photostream

I still don't understand how you post pictures on here. Why dont they make it simple?
I copy/paste the IMG Code from photobucket:

__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #3026
Mr. Dixy
n00b
 
Mr. Dixy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 1
1190 Adventure R in Tunisia

So I thought you guys would be interested in this: http://www.endurofun.be/blog.aspx - my off-road instructor is taking a couple of journalists from Belgium and the Netherlands through Tunisia on the Adventure R. Some cool photos here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3534420&type=3. If you can read the text of his blog in Dutch I think it is clear that he is smitten...
Mr. Dixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #3027
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dixy View Post
So I thought you guys would be interested in this: http://www.endurofun.be/blog.aspx - my off-road instructor is taking a couple of journalists from Belgium and the Netherlands through Tunisia on the Adventure R. Some cool photos here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3534420&type=3. If you can read the text of his blog in Dutch I think it is clear that he is smitten...
I can't read dutch but hey, great pics! thanks for the link






__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #3028
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer
 
Katoom72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 830
Tubeless and dented wheels don't go togeather
__________________
Now:
'03 KTM 250sx -- '05 KTM Adventure 950
Before:
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #3029
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Tubeless and dented wheels don't go togeather
And 90/90/21 tires and 2.5'' width rims looks like don't go together? How much would you lean on tarmac with this stretched tire and almost no rubber on its sides...?


__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #3030
hubilado
Motoquiero
 
hubilado's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
So here we go - Nomada PRO panniers project is finished and ready to hit the production
here are the pictures














please ignore that pannier rack is not coloured and looks raw - it's pre-production piece
now technical details:
for staying symmetrical and narrow it was decided to make 2 size combinations:
31L (with cut on exhaust) + 38L and 38L (with cut on exhaust) + 45L
the one on the photos is 31+38L set
overall width of this set is 94 cm,
38+45L version is 100cm wide

next to come headlight protector, crashbars and bash plate
I wonder if they'd consider making something like this little tool box ...
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014