OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #3047
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post

The bad...
- Bike weaves at high speeds- feels very unstable- anyone else have this?
did you experiment with the suspension settings? you would think cranking up the rear preload a bit would settle the front
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #3048
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
What's the fastest people have got out of their R? I've had an indicated 142mph and the bike did not feel stable! In fact anything over 130mph puts it into a wobble!! Would be interested if others get the same , or if there's an issue with mine??
Not sure why anyone would want a bike with a 21" front wheel that will run over 130 mph

Buy a sport bike for high top speed . . . Buy and adventure for everything else.

Short bursts to 120 mph should be fine for most of us. I doubt the 1190R was engineered for stable riding above 120 mph.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 05:45 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3049
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
since Nomada panniers are in the closest to the bike place possible, there is no way to make anything like on the picture above
guys at Holan went another way:
the best place to keep tools, spare and other mechanical stuff (read heavy stuff) is as low as possible, but still should be easy and fast to access
so the decision was made to produce something like this

it will be located under the pannier, will have the same seal like the pannier lid, so on shaky road nothing will be vibrating or knocking
and will be hang to the pannier on such brackets

for each size of the pannier will be made specific size (6 sizes) of this toolbox to provide perfect fit

what do you guys think?

Conceptually, it sounds good. I just can't quite visualize yet how it will attach to or release from (open for tool access) the pannier...
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #3050
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
Crashbars causing danger to the driver's legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Crashbars pre-production work is finished, mass production starts soon
As usual Holan crashbars will not be mounted directly to engine case or frame! Everywhere through the special tough adapters, which in case of fall or accident will brake and not ruin anything
I wonder if these crash bars create a hazard for the driver's legs, getting crashed under the bike.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #3051
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Conceptually, it sounds good. I just can't quite visualize yet how it will attach to or release from (open for tool access) the pannier...
it will be attached to the bottom of the pannier through the brackets on both toolbox and bottom of the pannier with Arno straps
when I'll get to the finished concept I'll make a picture and calculate exact dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I wonder if these crash bars create a hazard for the driver's legs, getting crashed under the bike.
It won't be more hazardous then any other crash bars
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #3052
Redxjs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
1700 miles in and a trip to Jerez for the GP, my thoughts on the R...

The bad...
- Bike weaves at high speeds- feels very unstable- anyone else have this? Maybe I'm expecting too much considering it has a 21" front wheel, but my 990 didn't weave like this thing! I had s puncture on the rear tyre so maybe I've messed up the tyre from riding it flat?

Overall I'm happy, but that high speed stability issue is quite dangerous, so would be interested in others comments...
My 1190 (not R) was very unstable today in cross winds at speeds of 70-80 mph. Guy following me said it was moving half a lane.

Otherwise i'm very happy with it. In calmer conditions it was doing 120 mph and felt fine. In fact I didn't realise how fast I was going until I glanced down at the speedo.
Redxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #3053
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:

The bad...
- Bike weaves at high speeds- feels very unstable- anyone else have this? Maybe I'm expecting too much considering it has a 21" front wheel, but my 990 didn't weave like this thing! I had s puncture on the rear tyre so maybe I've messed up the tyre from riding it flat?
my bike weaves at VERY high speed, over 240 km/h (150 mph) and since I'm not interest in going so fast I dont care.
I was reading of this problem on a Italian forum, apparently if you drive alone with a top case it gets worst. is this your case?

igorpetrovich screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 12:15 PM
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #3054
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
What's the fastest people have got out of their R? I've had an indicated 142mph and the bike did not feel stable! In fact anything over 130mph puts it into a wobble!! Would be interested if others get the same , or if there's an issue with mine??
Quote:
1700 miles in and a trip to Jerez for the GP, my thoughts on the R...

The good...
- Standard seat is really comfy for long journeys- better than the Renazco on my 990!!
- Standard screen is great- we were cruising at 90-100mph!
- good acceleration, really strong!
- very smooth engine at cruising speed!

The bad...
- melted a whole into my trousers on the pipe!

Overall I'm happy, but that high speed stability issue is quite dangerous, so would be interested in others comments...
Seen 146 mph (on the GPS) with luggage fitted - slight weave - but the advice with the luggage was not to exceed 80mph !!

Without luggage I have only had a few quick blasts up to about 130mph (local speed limit is 40mph max ) and it felt fine.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #3055
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
my bike weaves at VERY high speed, over 240 km/h (150 mph) and since I'm not interest in going so fast I dont care.
I was reading of this problem on a Italian forum, apparently if you drive alone with a top case it gets worst. is this your case?
Exactly that- just me and top case. I'd never get to 150mph! The engine would, but the bike would have spat me off by then!!!!

I'll get the bike checked out, maybe something's not right. I'll try without the top box too. I used to get 130 out of the 990 with a top box on and no problems at all, so maybe something is wrong?!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #3056
vanilla
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Seen 146 mph (on the GPS) with luggage fitted - slight weave - but the advice with the luggage was not to exceed 80mph !!

Without luggage I have only had a few quick blasts up to about 130mph (local speed limit is 40mph max ) and it felt fine.
The touratech luggage isn't the most aerodynamic... Strapping a couple of breeze blocks to the side of your bike would probably give similar results!!

Everyone else seem to be relatively happy with stability though, so something else may be wrong...

Has anyone else burnt their right leg on the pipe yet??
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #3057
vanilla
Adventurer

Another good point was fuel consumption- I was averaging 43.5mpg all the way through Spain at quite high speeds.... When we were filling up, I had 40 miles left on the tacho range, whilst my mate on his R1200gs Adventure had 70. His tank is 33 litres, so I was quite happy with that!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #3058
muck
new york

Oddometer: 87
Question Off road range

Anybody try putting it in offroad mode to see if the range is any longer
muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #3059
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Exactly that- just me and top case. I'd never get to 150mph! The engine would, but the bike would have spat me off by then!!!!

I'll get the bike checked out, maybe something's not right. I'll try without the top box too. I used to get 130 out of the 990 with a top box on and no problems at all, so maybe something is wrong?!
I'm sure that if you try without the top box the bike will be much more stable.
In my case I got a slight wave effect at 150 mph when decelerating only.
(at 150 mph the engine was still pushing a lot, I don't want to know how fast this bike can be....)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #3060
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
today finally I was able to ride properly the bike. As Umitc mentioned a few post before, the left side feels quite hot. Specially at low speed.
Also I noticed (not sure if that happened to all bikes) but a couple of times today (at red lights) by mistake I release the clutch too fast and the bike turns off, when I tried to start the engine again, was quite difficult an seems like the battery runs out...

Instead of that, great bike!
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote